HybridZ

VQ in z32 300zx

drews240

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look for the 240sx conversions on Freshalloy. Fred Allen Burge and Broaner are the ones your looking for.

The VQ weighs less then a KA. It weighs ALOT less then a VG. The tranny is off a Z33, and you'll need the Z33's oil pan and starter. Use a maxima flywheel and clutch for durability over the Z33's and get a TOB spacer like Broaner.

Get the ecu and wiring out of a 95 maxima.

Also did you want the VQ30DE or the VQ35DE? 3L is simpler but the 3.5L will have more power unless boosted then the extra .5L is good for turbo spool. Guys on maxima.org have super and turbo and N20'd both motors and they are very durable.

~Alex

Look for the 240sx conversions on Freshalloy. Fred Allen Burge and Broaner are the ones your looking for.

The VQ weighs less then a KA. It weighs ALOT less then a VG. The tranny is off a Z33' date=' and you'll need the Z33's oil pan and starter. Use a maxima flywheel and clutch for durability over the Z33's and get a TOB spacer like Broaner.

Get the ecu and wiring out of a 95 maxima.

Also did you want the VQ30DE or the VQ35DE? 3L is simpler but the 3.5L will have more power unless boosted then the extra .5L is good for turbo spool. Guys on maxima.org have super and turbo and N20'd both motors and they are very durable.

~Alex[/quote']

Thanks but you need to read the threads man. Fred and I are the two guys that have done the 240sx swap and made it work I know what is needed for the 240 dude!!!!!!!

I ASKED IF ANYBODY HAS INFO ON THE TRANSPLANT FOR THE 300ZX Z32, I WANT TO PUT a VQ IN MY 300ZX THIS WINTER!!!!

Check out these links to see my 240sx with the VQ racing and in show.

http://www.anothershade.com/race.htm

Drew

• 1 month later...
Guest shunter

Hi guys, been looking for some info regarding a VQ35DE swap into a Z32, and struggling. Has any further info been found on this matter?? I would be interested to read it.

Thanks guys

I know that the motor itself will be smaller in the cavity, should be no problem. Its the tranny that is the issue, there are no known brackets available for the swap. If you go with the 6 speed it will be a little more complicated for shifter placement and tunnel size.

Drew

• 5 months later...

I wish we could compare VG and VQ motor mounts location and the tranny size diffrence or even mock fit the engine to see because i would totally want to try it out the weight saving factor would make that car even faster . Im actually looking for dimensions and/or picture of the 2 tranny side by side Z32 and Z33 .

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Statikk

Hi guys...

I obtained a 350zx front cut with all the running gear. As far as I remember the engine mounts sit in the same position on the existing 300zx crossmember BUT from my first attempt I was lead to believe that the engine will sit too high since the 350zx crossmember is quite different by design. I was stopped by the swaybar from sitting the motor completely. I will be attempting this again shortly once I remove the swaybar and will post my findings. To be really nice I will also measure the 300zx TT gearbox against the 350zx box an even get some pics for you.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Hi guys...

I obtained a 350zx front cut with all the running gear. As far as I remember the engine mounts sit in the same position on the existing 300zx crossmember BUT from my first attempt I was lead to believe that the engine will sit too high since the 350zx crossmember is quite different by design. I was stopped by the swaybar from sitting the motor completely. I will be attempting this again shortly once I remove the swaybar and will post my findings. To be really nice I will also measure the 300zx TT gearbox against the 350zx box an even get some pics for you.

Any more info on fit issues? After researching I am lead to believe that all u need to swap the vq into a z32 is the engine from a 350z/g35 with all the electronics including the pedal or aftermarket ems, and a vq tranny adapter. Does that sound about right?

Thanks but you need to read the threads man. Fred and I are the two guys that have done the 240sx swap and made it work I know what is needed for the 240 dude!!!!!!!

I ASKED IF ANYBODY HAS INFO ON THE TRANSPLANT FOR THE 300ZX Z32, I WANT TO PUT a VQ IN MY 300ZX THIS WINTER!!!!

Check out these links to see my 240sx with the VQ racing and in show.

http://www.anothershade.com/race.htm

Drew

What did that white jetta have to move that thing at those speeds? it took off on you at the straight.

I'm wondering cause I've got the same jetta in my driveway. LOL

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Statikk
Any more info on fit issues? After researching I am lead to believe that all u need to swap the vq into a z32 is the engine from a 350z/g35 with all the electronics including the pedal or aftermarket ems, and a vq tranny adapter. Does that sound about right?

Here is my update on this interesting conversion.

The VQ engine as it is WILL NOT fit straight in. It is higher sitting then the VG. The oil sump has the pan with the oil pickup sloping at the front of the engine (meaning in front of the crossmember) vs the VG's sump sloping back behind the crossmember. This has created two problems immediately. The oil sump CAN NOT be cut around it's body and spun around as it means MAJOR work to relocate the oil pickup. The intake manifold just barely clears the bonnet once the engine has been placed in it's ideal position. The job on hand here is to trim the manifold down as much as possible and my engineer has told me that I should have a 15mm clearance so that's my working tarted at the moment. To top all this off, the engine mounts DEFINETELY DO NOT work as they are way too big from either the VG engine or the VQ. I have sourced a set from a Ford Econovan (not 100% sure on this but will confirm). The mounts are of perfect height but the studs do not protrude enough to have enough thread to be tightened properly. At the moment they are sitting in the engine bay keeping the engine in its right place to work everything else out, but they will definitely need more work. SOUNDS LIKE FUN GUYS??!! :)

The electrical side I will post once I get to it but I will tell you this much. The 350Z has a nice 3 PIECE harness starting with one piece in the cockpit, then a piece going out through the firewall around the engine and the final being a DETACHABLE engine only harness that joins to the other two. My goal here is to wire all of the 350z guts in so the damn thing will show up on a nissan consult as a PURE 350z :)

I have already fitted the 350z foot pedals in. Went in very easy as the clutch and brake just clip over the metal pedals (was a bit harder effort than the original z ones due to these being a tiny bit tighter/smaller) and the accelerator pedal required some minor mod to fit. I am also fitting the 350z steering wheel to the car. (If you haven't caught on already, I am giving our much loved 300z a bit of an update with the 350z theme inside & I think the 350z steering wheel is much nicer with mention that it allows me to retain my cruise control which has saved me much of the speeding fines I could have had.. hehe)

In regards to the gearbox. I don't know what you guys want to accomplish here but I have kept the 6 SPEED box that I got with the engine (I actually own half a 350z.. hehe) and as far as size.. this is all you need to know. The box fits in the cavity with a simple statement. Looking under the car from either side, it is just slightly sitting above the chassis rails, basically saying that if you were worried about it hitting the ground, the chassis would be the first to cop it and if the chassis was hitting the ground I'd be worried about your car and it's roadworthiness :)

This gearbox will need new mounts fabricated and a shifter relocated bracket made but I have not fully dedicated myself to this stage but once I am, I will post more. As far as the tailshaft is concerned here, there is no question about needing to make a custom one but with the above mentioned issues, this is absolutely nothing to worry about. With the 300z having a two piece shaft as it is standard, all needs to be done is the front portion might need shortening/lengthening and it's gearbox entry point might need to be swapped for the 350z tailshaft neck. Not looking at this yet but just a common sense assumption is made here.

Almost forgot to add in regards to the oil sump. As I mentioned the sump pans are backwards between the two motors in question here. Stuffing around this has also brought up another issue. CLEARANCE (Yes you will notice this a lot in this conversion). Once the engine has been stripped of its oil sump and placed on the mounts to sit in the engine bay this issue also came up. The shield plate at the bottom of the engine that protects the conrods & crankshaft is basically 4-5mm above the steering rack which does not allow for a sump, meaning that the rack has to be relocated to sit lower. Me and my engineer are still toying with this one as it may lead to completely remaking a new crossmember. My goal has been from day one to use as much ORIGINAL parts to simplify conversion and make it easy for others to accomplish but unless you are prepared to put a HUMP on your bonnet and raise the motor higher then you will have to deal with all the issues I am dealing with. Placing a hump on the bonnet and raising the motor will probably be a better option but my target here is a fitted VQ and nobody knowing that something is different about my car. To finish this article off I will leave you with something interesting.

I have had my friend who speaks Japanese (you need one of these if you are doing crazy things to jap cars) who has contacted the guys in Japan at http://www.attkd.co.jp (Also see this http://www.attkd.co.jp/topics.html) to ask about the conversion. They obviously will not tell you how but we did ask nicely just one question and that was... Dry or wet sump?!? and they came back saying the motor was left completely original minus the fact that they twin turbo charged it and worked it off its nut. I am sure they modified the hell out of the engine bay and as you can see on the site photos, there is not much of stock items in there. If they do this for you, you will pay $50k AU and they will deliver you a car that is not roadworthy in Japan... hehe, If not roadworthy in Japan then where could it be roadworthy ?!? LOL

I hope that this has made anyone interested in this conversion happy and provided you with plenty of info.. Talk soon

What did that white jetta have to move that thing at those speeds? it took off on you at the straight.

I'm wondering cause I've got the same jetta in my driveway. LOL

It is a Vr6 race modified and in that shot I am driving the Stock VQ30 with a stock ECU. During a practice session I believe. The Jetta weighs about 2100lbs

Drew

I will post the photo's soon but here is the list of what is to be done for this to work.

Cut crossmember Modified and capped with 1/8" steel.

Stock 350Z mounts need to reverse side's.

The Motor mounts need to be leveled out and raised a bit for use with GTR mounts.

The passenger side motor mount(350Z) has to be modified shaved to fit the headers.

the tranny hole cut slightly to fit the rise of the shifter but no modification to the 6 speed.

a 1" tube spacer can be used welded to a stock 300ZX tranny mount.

No modifications to the oil pan or motor.

stock starter no problem.

THERE IS NO WAY TO DO THIS SWAP AND CLEAR THE CROSS MEMBER AND HAVE A STOCK HOOD!!! FACT!!

YOU WILL NEED A DECENT SIZE COWL (GOOD FOR MAJOR COOLING ANYWAY)!!!!

I think the pictures will make it all more clear. but it works.

Drew

:mparty:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...