HybridZ

VQ in z32 300zx

drews240

oli2.jpgoli5.jpgoli6.jpgoli7.jpgoli9.jpg

We are now offering the complete kit with instructions for this swap. it is detailed but very possible and a great way to get more power to weight and overall balnce in this fine car.

PM for details on the swap.

Drew

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Custom Cross member

300ZX tranny mount stock in urethane

Cut shifter whole and interior parts (where ashtray is located) or we offer the modified shifter bracket

Urethane 300ZX motor mounts

reverse 350Z aluminum engine mounts

Custom 2 or 1 piece driveshaft

Stock 300ZX rad

modify in position on fuel rail to drivers side.

addition of fuel pressure regulator

2 custom down pipes to hook up with stock exhaust positions.

couple of options for hood scoops (very discreet) less than 2" rise with window side opening.

There are no steering, exhaust, starter or tunnel clearance issues.

Again if interested please PM.

Drew

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
about the hood clearance issue, why not do the old v8 s30 trick and space the crossmsmber from the chassis, this has been done for years on the hybrid z's, of course you can't take it too far but that extra 1/2 inch can make a huge difference

Well the idea behind this swap kit is to keep the price down and have a solid swap. To refabricate completly a cross member is costly. With the hood cowl we chose it is not a drastic change and if you llok at the picture taken from the side you can see it does not stick out that much.

Drew:icon14:

I wasn't suggesting building a custom crossmsmber, I was suggesting spacing the crossmsmber down form the chassis, it's a commn step in the V8S30 swap, just a matter of unbolting the 2 bolts on each side of the crossmsmber where it bolts to the chassis, putting a 1/2 piece fo steel plate with the correct holes and putting the bolts back in, you move the engine down and gain hood clearance, and it's minor enough your steering etc shouldn't be effected

What about the VQ35HR in the Z32 with the Z33 Transmission? would that fit?

just the VQ35DE isnt really worth the swap. the stock VG puts put 180whp and the VQ puts out 220-230whp.

the VQ35HR or VQ37VHR would be better swaps seeing as they put out 255whp and 280whp. all motor stock. and with a dual intake, high flow cats, catback and a reflash the HR's put out over 300whp and the VHR's put out over 320whp.

A VQ35DE is a worthwhile swap. Yes the VQ35HR or VQ37HR have more +s, however they are way more expensive, harder to source than a VQ35DE, and there aren't as much aftermarket yet compared to the VQ35DE. Also, the VQ35HR, VQ37HR, and VQ40 all share the same block (VQ40 block) which is taller than the VQ35DE block so vertical clearance may be an issue (maybe the dual intake plenum helps this, not sure) and you need to source the correct tranny (07+ 350Z, 08+ G35, etc).

just the VQ35DE isnt really worth the swap. the stock VG puts put 180whp and the VQ puts out 220-230whp.

the VQ35HR or VQ37VHR would be better swaps seeing as they put out 255whp and 280whp. all motor stock. and with a dual intake, high flow cats, catback and a reflash the HR's put out over 300whp and the VHR's put out over 320whp.

No offence but you are missing a couple of huge factors starting with price "weight and balance" 300 so pounds...., if you tune the VQ35DE you can get 260WHP (I have).

The VQ35HR with a tranny is roughly $4000 compared to $1500 or $2000 for the DE and I have not even seen a used VQ37 yet so who knows how much that would be.

But to answer your question yes you can use our kit on the HR no problem.

:lol:

Just to bring this back to point.

The 50 HP gain over the VG is only the begining, consider the weight reduction and what the swap does for the balance of the car and how much eaiser it is to work on.

This is why I started doing these swaps.

:icon52::-D

Yes but it is not enough clearance and it also throws off the ride height in front the angle of the arms...... not really ideal.

Drew

it doens't change rideheight and if the VQ is lighter it should be sitting taller up front anyhow a 1" spacer would move the inboard side of the lca's down a bit, prettu much the same as running 1" lowering springs, I agree it's no ideal suspension geometry but I'd rather do that than cut a hole in the hood ;) and it's rare to see a Z32 at stock rideheight anymore

it doens't change rideheight and if the VQ is lighter it should be sitting taller up front anyhow a 1" spacer would move the inboard side of the lca's down a bit, prettu much the same as running 1" lowering springs, I agree it's no ideal suspension geometry but I'd rather do that than cut a hole in the hood ;) and it's rare to see a Z32 at stock rideheight anymore

I am not convinced, moving the crossmember down 1" brings everything attached to it down an 1" as well, in turn stretching LCA reach, doing this is not ideal for the geometry of the suspension.The lighter motor already raises the ride height of the front. plus the 1" is not enough to clear the hood.:icon52:

Drew

• 3 weeks later...