HybridZ

I know adjustable LCAs have been discussed before...

Nice, but pricey.Save your cash,get in good with a decent TIG welder,source the parts,(A1Racing,Chassisshop.com,etc.)and use your orig.LCA's.There are, as you well know,quite a few write-ups on this.I know mine are just as solid those,but for a fraction of that $450........

for those of us who can't weld or don't own a welder, i think they're reasonably priced. i can't imagine how many hours i'd spend learning to weld and finally then trusting my welds on my car, say-at 140 mph down the back straight at watkins glen. i purchased mine from mike kelly years back for the above reasons...

Wasn't Mike charging something right around $200 for a pair? Anyone remember what AZC charged before they went to the aluminum? Their older chromoly version arms weren't as much as these IIRC. They just aren't hard enough to manufacture to justify the cost IMO. The on the car adjustability is nice, but for an extra $300 I'll take the bolt out and spin the rod end around and bolt it back up...

IMO,if you're into teaching yourself to weld,start with the MIG on body panels and the like.Call around your local steel/welding shops.Bring in the LCA's,some photos,and a detailed description of what you want done.I think I paid $60 for their TIG services for the LCA's.Can't hurt to look into......

I was selling the kit WITH adjustable TC Rods for $425-450 near the end of my production. Just the arms were $300.

You can make them yourself for about $100, but they won't be "on-car" adjustable...

Mike

Hello all,:burnout:

Since I am the builder of these pieces, I figured I'd get into this thread.. (just found it!)

There is alot you can debate regarding price of course.. Price is a reflection of design, function, materials, and time! And I beleive that the function and design of these parts is reflective of price. I also feel that alot of the most important aspects of these arms are not getting the attention they deserve.

I know that Datsun enthusiasts are a hard crowd ( being one myself ). I was inspired to build these pieces because with that in mind! I've taken into account for what I believe to be what most Z enthusiasts would want from parts of this nature.

PRICE: For anything that is custom built, your going to pay for what you get. Custom stuff isn't cheap. I believe the price to be fairly reasonable.

These are far superior to aluminum in strength, more functional that what's currently out there, and includes the ease of install! What more can you ask for in a part? ( I know, you want a lower price... I'm working on it!)

TIME: The time in which it takes to build these doesn't just happen in an hour. Most average shops will charge somewhere around $45 - 60 hr. flat rate! There is cutting, welding, drilling, all required.

BUILD: Well yes, you could save yourself some money. but can you account for all the other parts of the equation? These parts aren't pieces you can go and get readily at spur of the moment. And if you make them you also must ask yourself, "do I have the material knowledge", "part sourcing", and design specifics to make them safe, performing, and reliable???

WELDING: Welding of multiple materials requires alot of knowledge and skill.....John C. and others will agree... Skill takes time to develope, and you can't just use a $500 tig/mig to weld these peices together, or they "will break!!"

FUNCTION: There are "NO" other arms that are currently offered as BOLT ON, or ON THE CAR ADJUSTABILITY . These allow for even the smallest of adjustments to arm length.

OH YA... ( These do have Jam Nuts.. Sorry I'll post a differnt Picture!!)

Quantities: We all know that the price is reflective of quantity. But as it is, I'm like most other Custom Z part producers, unless your substantially grounded in a expanding business, It’s a on/off crowd, and you never know when and or how many orders you will get at any given time. It's not like we are driving Honda's... " THANK GOD!!";)

I am currently working with my suppliers and such, to reduce the price on some of my Custom build parts. I hope that the price I can bring to the table will be more to what the Z crowds find to be reasonable!

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. Just drop me a line!

Best RegardZ,

Brian

aka: azcarbum

www.zehthusiasts.com

Well they are offered on his web site for $10 less than the "buy it now" price on that Ebay auction so it is probably better just to buy them direct.

BTW azcarbum you missed an "n" when typing in your web address try www.zenthusiasts.com

Thats ok.... I just bought a set from him after we just talked via PM here on HybridZ.

I'll be sure to let you all know the poop, once I get them and install them.... :burnout:

I have to disagree with the comments with regards to welding up of these units...

I've had ZERO failures of front arms reported... ZFracing LLC farmed out the rears that did fail due to a selection of thinner materials, which did not have anything to do with the weld... The material was simly to thin, but was welded with a much more expensive unit than the one used to weld the approximately 100 front sets I made with...

Price them as you value your time, but the materials cost about $100, still.

My parts price list was: Two female 14000# 3/4 left Heims @ $15 Each

Two Steel Threaded Blocks @ $15 Each

Two Custom Turnbuckles @ $15 Each

With Jam nuts and spare round stock for spacers, you might have $120 in the parts by today's prices.

And you're making a pretty decent profit there! :2thumbs:

Mike

Mike,

I understand what parts your pricing. And your fairly close on most. Except for the teflon/kevlar ends....you'd better double that!

But What about the other parts you've missed in this equation. The big part, these aren't "modified" arms!

Parts your missing: chromoly Threaded tube ends, the body plates ( cut/drilled), and hex tubing, and *Delrin shims, and aluminim bushings, and the sourcing aspects to include shipping etc...... And of course, the time agian to do it.

Like most things, it keeps adding up!

As for the welding.... What I was referring to was the relationship between materials and welding expierence. We aren't just welding mild steel to mild steel...... In this case, Chromoly to steel. (I chose Chromoly for the strength in the threads.) You know as I, If average "Joe" go's to try and make a arm like this using these pieces. Welds them using "any" MIG/TIG. Not knowing how chormoly must be preped before welding to steel. What you'll end up with is a weld that has no penatration....... And as I said....."It WILL break, no matter how thick the bead, or material used".

That was my thought behind that statement.

And of course, if someone has the time, knowledge, material, and equipment.. you can build them.

For completed units, that allows for the attributes, and materials used. I Can't see how its not close to market. But thats up to the individuals opinion.

Best RegardZ,

Brian

Brian, I'm sure you build a quality part, and I'm certainly not mocking it... I'm actually glad you broke out the rest of the parts list... That said, You've got a strong solution for a replacement.

We chose not to use the Kevlar/teflon ends because people simply weren't interested. I spec'ed the standard heim joint and "recommended" a stronger replacement with time...

Good luck to you and it appears you've improved on the original design. :2thumbs:

1TuffZ, I sleep well enough, thanks! :lmao:

Mike

All I'll add,is this 'regular Joe' did some extensive research on this critical suspension component,used a 'veteran' HybridZ member's tried and true method of constructing these,purchased the necessary materials from a reputable race shop,and had a 30 year steel and welding business owner TIG them for me.For a total of around $140.00,not including powdercoating.This is one part of the suspension that is for one,stronger than the original design,and two,am confident will not break.I'm not saying your product is inferior by any means,All I'm saying is,there are a few options in regaurds to adjustable LCA's,and if you take the time to research and resource,you'll come out with a durable,relatively inexpensive part.