HybridZ

Spindle-Pin-Puller Loaner program

• 1 month later...

If anybody is willing to share dimensions on this tool, I'm a machinist by trade, I'm sure I could make a few sets for the guys needing them.

Here is what you will need to build the version I was making.

12" of 3/4"ACME all thread with Nut

10" black iron pipe 1" diameter with a 1" to 3/4" reducer

Tap each end with  M12 x 1.25, 1.25 inches deep.

Merry Christmas everyone, and have a Happy New Year.

John

Depends on how many guys need them.  I can set my machines up to turn them out pretty quick, but not wanting to do the setup work to make 1 of them.  Price will be very fair. parts+ a little labor  Not wanting to make money on these, just to cover time and expenses.

• 2 weeks later...

I made my own puller today from john's shopping list. I drilled out one end but I still need to tap it, I didn't have the right size in my set. Does any one know why john said to drill and tap both ends? The only reason I can come up with why you would do that is if the threads maybe got messed up on one end???

I was forced to buy 6' of the threaded rod so if this thing ends up working I can make 5 more if people want to buy them from me. I haven't priced it per tool yet but I would assume I could sell them for the same price John was @ $60 Shipped.

I'll keep you guys posted.

roaFjPJ.jpg

Edited by Henness

I made my own puller today from john's shopping list. I drilled out one end but I still need to tap it, I didn't have the right size in my set. Does any one know why john said to drill and tap both ends? The only reason I can come up with why you would do that is if the threads maybe got messed up on one end???

I was forced to buy 6' of the threaded rod so if this thing ends up working I can make 5 more if people want to buy them from me. I haven't priced it per tool yet but I would assume I could sell them for the same price John was @ $60 Shipped.

I'll keep you guys posted.

roaFjPJ.jpg

Drill and tap both ends in the event you strip the threads out you only need to change ends on the puller.

The 3/4 reducer goes towards the pin.

John

Edited by jtburf

Drill and tap both ends in the event you strip the threads out you only need to change ends on the puller.

The 3/4 reducer goes towards the pin.

John

Thats what I was thinking. Do the threads on these fail eaisly?

Okay wasn't sure, I probly would have found out when I tryed to use it the wrong way.

Thats what I was thinking. Do the threads on these fail eaisly?

Okay wasn't sure, I probly would have found out when I tryed to use it the wrong way.

If the pin is really stuck and there is not enough heat applied, yes they can strip.

John

Well after 4 attempts at drilling a hole 100% perfectly straight and center on my drill press, I have given up. With the 3/4" ACME rod there is just absolutely no room for error. the hole drilled fine but when I go to thread it it just makes holes in the bottom of the threads. I have decided to go with a some bigger ACME thread instead 7/8" or 1". Should solve my problem, guess I'll just use the rest of this rod on another project. :/

On a side note what thread pitch are the pins normally anyway? Because for some reason mine are 12-1.75 instead of the 12-1.25 like you posted above.

Edited by Henness

Yea. I think im gonna go with a slightly larger rod, and use a freinds lathe. If it was and SAE thread that didn't go as deep I wouldn't be concerned, but with this ACME its so thin by the time you drill a 27/64 hole in it.

As for the threads, I find that extreamly odd because its definantly 1.75 and the thread are not messed up. Just makes me concerned that someone put the wrong stuff in there at some point. I guess it doesnt matter Im replacing them anyway.

Thanks for the help John!

Edited by Henness