HybridZ
Dave

Spindle-Pin-Puller Loaner program

Henness    0

Drill and tap both ends in the event you strip the threads out you only need to change ends on the puller.

The 3/4 reducer goes towards the pin.

John

Thats what I was thinking. Do the threads on these fail eaisly?

Okay wasn't sure, I probly would have found out when I tryed to use it the wrong way.

jtburf    0

Thats what I was thinking. Do the threads on these fail eaisly?

Okay wasn't sure, I probly would have found out when I tryed to use it the wrong way.

If the pin is really stuck and there is not enough heat applied, yes they can strip.

John

Henness    0

Well after 4 attempts at drilling a hole 100% perfectly straight and center on my drill press, I have given up. With the 3/4" ACME rod there is just absolutely no room for error. the hole drilled fine but when I go to thread it it just makes holes in the bottom of the threads. I have decided to go with a some bigger ACME thread instead 7/8" or 1". Should solve my problem, guess I'll just use the rest of this rod on another project. :/

On a side note what thread pitch are the pins normally anyway? Because for some reason mine are 12-1.75 instead of the 12-1.25 like you posted above.

Edited by Henness

Henness    0

Yea. I think im gonna go with a slightly larger rod, and use a freinds lathe. If it was and SAE thread that didn't go as deep I wouldn't be concerned, but with this ACME its so thin by the time you drill a 27/64 hole in it.

As for the threads, I find that extreamly odd because its definantly 1.75 and the thread are not messed up. Just makes me concerned that someone put the wrong stuff in there at some point. I guess it doesnt matter Im replacing them anyway.

Thanks for the help John!

Edited by Henness

383 240z    0

Material is ordered.  I bought enough of the Acme rod, to make 12 tools.  I'll be useing the 7/8-6 rod for a bit more wall thickness. 

Complete kits, will be made, with the draw tube.  I will be shipping them the cheapest way I can. 

I only got emails from a few of you, PM me, I'll drop you my mobile number. 

I have a job I'm running now that uses an offset tailstock setting.  So once that is off the lathe, I'll set it up for this job, provided the materials get here soon!!

Henness    0

I finally finished mine last weekend, I had to borrowed a friends lathe. But I got it and it worked like a charm. I ended up using 1" ACME rod. I'm keeping an extra as a spare, But I have 4 other if anyone wants one. I don't mean to under cut you or any thing Keith, but I have no use for 6 of these things.

Edited by Henness

383 240z    0

PM sent.  For everybody else, the tools I made are $70 shipped Priority Mail to a US address.  They are made from 1018 tool steel with a pipe puller tube. I went with a larger 7/8 for the tool, the tool is double ended so IF you manage to strip it the other side of the tool is ready to use. Thank you everybody. Keith