HybridZ

11 3/4" rotors with 5 lug hubs

Has anyone tried using '93 Mustang 5 lug hubs and 11 3/4" rotors? They are a one piece unit that looks close to working. I have a used set I may try unless somebody has already determined they won't work. I couldn't find anything mentioning them by searching.

Thanks! Brad

I put Chevrolet 3rd gen Camaro hubs and rotors on the front of my car. It required changing one of the bearings and race and I had to source a custom inner grease seal. (tigerseal.com) I am using the Toyota 4 piston calipers. The offset of the rotors was off and I had to machine the caliper mounts to get them to line up. I also had to widen the opening of the caliper for the rotor to fit. It was somewhat of a PITA, but it seems to be working well for me so far.

Jody

Brad' date=' there was no 5 lug on the Mustangs

until '94. Make sure you find out what those hubs are from if you ever want to find replacement parts down the road. Keep this thread updated with your progress![/quote']

the LX was 4 lug through 93 I know the 93 cobra had 5 lug and I believe all the alte fox body gt's wer 5 lug as well ?

the LX was 4 lug through 93 I know the 93 cobra had 5 lug and I believe all the alte fox body gt's wer 5 lug as well ?

Evildky, I'm not sure what you mean there? I suspect he has a 94-up hub. I've owned several generations of Mustangs. Here's the rundown:

*93 Cobra R's were 5 lug, but not the normal 93 Cobras. Several of my friends bought 93 Cobras new, and I worked on them- definitely 4 lug with an odd offset. 93R parts are now down to NOS, if he's modifying those instead of selling them I'd be surprised. The 93 Cobra R is extremely rare.

*First gen 6 cylinders were 4 lug, while the V8 cars were 5.

*69-73 were 5 lug

*Mustang II (74-78) were 4 lug.

*Fox body cars (79-93) were 4 lug, other than the SVO and Cobra R

*All SN95 cars (94-03) were 5 lug

*The current Mustang is 5 lug also

Not trying to flame, just keeping the info correct.

I thought they were Mustang rotors and hubs because they were in a box that was for a '93 Mustang I had replaced rotors on several years ago (I never throw anything away). I rechecked the numbers on the box with the parts house. That's what I get for assuming. I have not been able to identify them as yet. They are 5 on 5 1/4. Not Ford, not Chevy not Chrysler. All I have to id them is the casting nubber which is BR 54 560. I haven't found a parts place that can id them from the casting number, so I guess this is a dead end.

Brad

• 1 month later...

jbc3 - the Camaro rotor idea seems to be one of the best-kept secrets in the Z front brake upgrade world. A friend of mine (not on HybridZ) tried this successfully many years ago with a Gen II Camaro (1970-1982) - I did not realize that it works for Gen III also.

Do you have the specs (part numbers) for the inner bearing/race and grease seal? If the grease seal is a custom piece, we should consider a group buy. The OEM Datsun outer bearing should work OK.

• 2 weeks later...

ZROSSA

I have not been able to identify what the rotors actually came off of. But I have found a site which gives the dimensions of many rotors. It is http://www.dba.au. I'm now considering '97 Crown Victoria 11 1/2" or "98 Crown Victoria at 12.44" rotors. It looks like they would slip on the Z31 hubs and be pretty close to the right off set with some modification needed to the caliper monuting. Haven't been able to actually work on this yet though.

Brad

Michaael,

Its been a long time since I did the front rotors, but the inner bearing is exactly the same between the 3rd gen f-body and the 280Z. The outer bearing is one size smaller on the Datsun. The bearing and race was like $10. (A3 and A2 I believe)

As far as the seal, I measured the seal surface and the inner diameter of the hub. Then I went to Tigerseal.com, downloaded their grease seal chart and they have one that matches. It was not one that he kept on the shelf, but I had it in less than a week. It has been on the car for over a year and I have had no issues at all. The seals were about $7 each. I should have ordered more than 2 when I did it at first, but I wasn't sure they were going to work. Then I never went back and ordered more..

Jody

jbc3 - the Camaro rotor idea seems to be one of the best-kept secrets in the Z front brake upgrade world. A friend of mine (not on HybridZ) tried this successfully many years ago with a Gen II Camaro (1970-1982) - I did not realize that it works for Gen III also.

Do you have the specs (part numbers) for the inner bearing/race and grease seal? If the grease seal is a custom piece, we should consider a group buy. The OEM Datsun outer bearing should work OK.

Follow-up on my earlier post reference the Grease seal needed to install a 3rd gen f-body hub/rotor on a 280Z front spindle.

Tiger Seal & Gasket Mfg Co. Inc.

2522 Connecticut Ave

Kenner, LA 70062

504-464-0031

R-2 Seal

48 x 65 x 7 $ 5.75 each

Jody