HybridZ

Custom Fiberglass dash progress.

Guest Aguyandaredhead

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Thanks, who need a glove box. its not like I need to carry proof of insurance. the car has a RB25 with a GT35r.. Do I really have to stop for a trooper J/K Hahah. Of course that would be wrong.

Jeff

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Thanks Bill, You know this is one part of the build I have been looking forward to. I have taken the last few days off from it sine the weekend but I should be back at it tomorrow. I will try and get a few more pics up soon. I was buried this weekend but my car is getting media blasted early next week and I will be working on it this weekend in prep for that so I will call you and maybe run over and pick up the headlight buckets and chat for a few..

Jeff

Guest Aguyandaredhead

I dont think I am the first person to put a fiberglass dash in a car, however that is what seatbelts are for right...And I better not wreck this car or I might just shoot myself in the head. J/K

Jeff

There are lots of FB dashes out there. For instance, the GTO replicas:-) I'd think that FB is safer than aluminum, which could bend and/or tear into sharp points and/or edges. But I'm no expert.

WOW! that is awesome work there!

... but is that a good idea though... if u get in a bad accident, ur face will be shredded from teh fiberglass....

You've really done a great job on planning out and building your dash. I am working on a different dash, real old school. I got the idea while looking at my sons dash after I shot the paint on it a few months ago. It comes out of his '55 Chevy P/U. I like the clean smooth lines of the long dash, accented by the "V" Billet gauge cluster in front of the sterring wheel. I needed to narrow the width by 5" but the depth and overall diamensions work well. Can't wait to see yours when its completed. Thanks for sharing.

VAN

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e353/kanehoku/55%20chevy%20pickup/CIMG1714.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e353/kanehoku/55%20chevy%20pickup/gaugeandcolumn.jpg

Man thats some amazing work done... i might have to tear myself away from Muskogee and come up and see this some time =)

now for the b*#@and moaning part.. anyway to see behind and below pictures while its in?? basically how you mounted it specifically and routed the vents =)

Dayumn, that's a perty sweet setup man, I just bought a 77 datsun pickup for my daily driver while I do some major stuff to my Z, (seats, manual swap, and fiber dash)

And you gave me some great ideas, I didn't have any idea how simply it is to put a little touchscreen in my car, since I'm doing a custom dash anyhow. However, the wood is a new idea to me, I would have never thought of that, or worse, thought of it after I made a crappy looking dash.

what kind of fabric did you use for the base under the fiberglass?

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Thanks for the kind words guy's. I have been busy at the office again so something had to give and the time to work on the dash has been the one. I will get back to it this weekend though. It is removed from the car now as there will be no more shrinkage that requires it to stay bolted in while that occurs. The car is actually on the trailer and on its way to Blasting Specialties tomorrow morning then on its way to the paint booth for a coat of epoxy tomorrow eve after I pick it back up. Then its off to Paint Jail for somewhere between 2-4 months. I told the guy that is doing the bodywork and paint to please take his time it has to be right and no imperfections. So I am not going to rush him in any way. Since the car will be a dark color I do not want any waves and the body lines have to be perfect.

Any time you would like to make the trip from Muskogee I would be available I pas through there just about every week on my way to Tenkiller atleast one day everyweekend. Other than that my days have been spent here working on this trying to get it ready.

As for the materials used I prefer to use MDF to make the buck (the general shape that the dash will be built on) then the material I strech is a very strechy and soft cotton like substrate. It takes the first 2 coats of resin well and leaves a good surface for the fiberglass matt to be applied to. It is cheap and nothing special, you can get it at just about any fabric store. I got enough to do this dash and the kick panels for the stereo as well as enough for the rear oanels I have to make for like 6 bucks. Maybe when I am done I can take all the pics and make up a little basic tutorial.

Again thanks for the Kudos, and I will try and keep up the pics until it is done.

Bill, You going to be in town this weekend? Lets hook up and I will pick up those parts from you. If you need a hand on anything just let me know and I will be glad to hel where I can.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aguyandaredhead

Spent last weekend and the week before working on the body, had it media blasted and shot with PPG epoxy primer. So I have not done anything else yet. I will get back on the dash this weekend, maybe get it ready to wrap.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

just wondering how the dash is coming along. really cool design. i saw yours and it inspired me to start mine while the engine is being built. using some of the techniques you used (the pvc pipe idea was GREAT) but it will look a little different. thanks for posting and giving me the inspiration to start mine. ill post pics when i get further along with it

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Still working on it a little at a time. Just have had other things taking priority over it.. Damn Honey Do's!!

I'll get some pics up very soon..

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

damn not bad, not bad at all... can't wait to see it finished. In the process of modifying the stock dash in my friend's 280zx since it was cracked to hell, but I am nowhere near that good... might have to come by and take a look at this thing in person next time I am in T-Town...