HybridZ

Custom Fiberglass dash progress.

Guest Aguyandaredhead

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Nice to see some progress and posts on your car Jeff, though you had dropped off the face of the earth!

2. Car looks good, I need to stop by and what you've been working on! You still interested in the headligh buckets?

3. Would like to discuss the autoPC w/ you some to get some insights. A buddy and myself have been discussing building some for ourselves.

Give me a shout, email might be best, I havn't been on here too much lately, been traveling for work. Would be good to hear from you.

gherwilm@gmail.com

Guest Aguyandaredhead

You know there is one aspect of the design of the dash that I was just sure someone would point out to me but to my suprise no one has brought it up..

Can you guess what the comment I expected is?

This should be good.

Jeff

Guest italians2r
You know there is one aspect of the design of the dash that I was just sure someone would point out to me but to my suprise no one has brought it up..

Can you guess what the comment I expected is?

This should be good.

Jeff

No vents?

Nice! How are you going to attach it? Quick ? I have tried a few 'glass pieces, but I always get bubbles. How do you aviod this? If there is a web site that could help, or another thread, please point me in the right direction. Again, very nice dash.

gb20

Guest Aguyandaredhead

You got it, NO VENTS. I have decided to put them in the bottom of the dash to keep the face of the dash clean.

As for the wood. That is a skeleton that is used to create the basic shape to work off of. it is pretty common for fabricating this type of structure.

I will try and post a few good sites with some info on how to get started with this type of product.

Jeff

Guest Aguyandaredhead

I tore apart the factory dash and used the metal structure that was underneath as a mounting surface to start with. I cut and welded on it to give me the clearance I needed for all the goodies. But this will bolt and unbolt from the car just as the stock one did.

Jeff

Guest italians2r
You got it, NO VENTS. I have decided to put them in the bottom of the dash to keep the face of the dash clean.

As for the wood. That is a skeleton that is used to create the basic shape to work off of. it is pretty common for fabricating this type of structure.

I will try and post a few good sites with some info on how to get started with this type of product.

Jeff

Yeah, I didnt notice it until you said something was unusual about it. None the less it still is an amazing project. I check in on the boards every once in a while and this certainly has peaked my interest. Ill be interested to see what it looks like when its all done.

Guest Aguyandaredhead

I should have more up maybe tomorrow night. I am finished with the glass and and staqrting to cut the detail's back out. I had glassed over them and then use a router to open the hole's back up. It is hard as a rock now all I have to do is skim it with Rage Gold and then start the loooonnngggg process of sanding on it. I will either be painting it or overlaying it with carbon fiber so it have to be smooth as a baby's butt...I'll try and get the pics up asap. I will be taking the car for media blasting next week so the final sanding will be done out of the car.

Jeff

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Ok a day late, but more pics as promised. My dang arm is tired and I am staring to loose my finger prints on my right hand. Even though this is supose to be a skim coat so I can pull it out and finish sand it out of the car I figured I might as well try and get it as close as I can in the car.

I have used about 3/4 of a gal of lightweight body filler but as you can see from the pics there really is not that much left on the dash. It is mostly on the floor and you can see the glass in many places.I also have to fill the recesses where the trim pieces go at the ends to match the shape at the ends, then skim over the top of the trim pieces and sand to match the shape of the dash so they are not just flat. I will put a very thin skim over the whole dash just before I prime it and finish it off with 220 and then 360. At that time I will have to decide on the finish.

Oh well, Enjoy.. How about some help deciding on the final finish. Wrap the entire thing in Black Suede (of which there will be other pieces in the car done) and do the inserts in Carbon fiber. Overlay the entire thing in Carbon Fiber and finish with a UV-Clear Surfboard resin finished down to 2000grit and then buffed to a high gloss (of course I will have to spray the top with a Matte agent to reduce glare) then paint the inserts body color. And Finally the Paint it Body color and then wrap the trim in Carbon Fiber. Ok I think they all would look good nut I can't decide. I know which ones will take less time, but I am trying not to let that play a roll in the decision..

Thanks and happy Looking.

Jeff

DSC00583small_thumb.JPG

DSC00584small_thumb.JPG

DSC00585small_thumb.JPG

DSC00586small_thumb.JPG

DSC00587small_thumb.JPG

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Oh and I just wanted to say thanks for all the positive feedback on this. It is great motivation. I will try and keep this thread updated as I go. The car is off for Paint in the next few days so I will not get to work on the door panels before it goes so it will be a while before I can start on the rest of the custom stuff for the Int.. Wait till you see what I have planned for the trim involved for the Audio system in the back. Not to out there but very classy I think. Just very clean and not too much Bling. I hope the inside turns out as well as the outside is going to.

Jeff

Jeff, you coud be really unique and do the dash in Carbon Kevlar, which is sort of a yellow & black material from what I have seen. A full CF job may be too much, so perhaps accents in CF and suede back for the dash? Just some thoughts.

Davy

Now what would Car and Driver say to that, no cup holders lol. I think the dash is looking really good. Do you plan to have a glove box or are you deleting it completely.

I think the design is sound and its really coming together nicely. Im loving how its starting to come together and look.

Guest Aguyandaredhead

I will cut out the circle for the steering column and insert a fiberglass tube that has been cut to a half circle. I will do that last.

I think I agree all Carbon will be too much. I like the idea of the suede as well with carbon inserts.

I have seen the carbon kevlar and I think the yellow will clash with the rest of the int.

Nope no glove box, I decided to put the vents on the bottom of the dash as well. I only kept the defrost in the stock location. A glove box will only hold more crap ie.. Slow me down, HAHA..

Jeff