HybridZ

L28 To L28ET Too (call me copycat :P )

Gollum

sorry to bring this thread back up, but i just started the exact same thing this weekend. However I'll be using the n/a shortlbock, with the turbo head and oil pan for response.

My mechanical experience goes only as far as changing an alternator, t-stat and oil changes, so i feel a little over my head.

I'm starting by disassembling the turbo doner car, and so far have the entire wiring harness ready to by pulled through the firewall. It seems fairly straight forward, since the connectors really only connect one way.

However my buddy decided to go ahead and unplug all the fuel injectors without labeling them? Is there a way to find out which goes where?

Anyways, thats the only question i have now. I assume i don't have to swap the other harness (one that runs on left side of the engine bay).

I'm sure i will have many more questions once i get deeper into the project.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The injectors are actually a BATCH injection, not sequential, so no worries. Just go by length to make sure they all plug in and you should be fine. (the wiring comes in between 3 and 4 cylinders and branches out.

My project is finally gonna be finished soon (i hope) as I've fixed the fuse issue. I just need to get the engine started again and I'll be good to go.

IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do I need to say it again? It RUNS!!!!

Ok, so after me and rudypoochris fiddled with the starter for a couple of hours we got the starter working and the engine started nearly right away, no hesitation at all.

Though it was running rough, on 3 cylinder. So I Changed the plugs out for my older NA ones in decent shape (they were brand new when I started all this, but they'd been left out for a while so they're probably not in the greatest shape now). After that we fired it up and noe 5 cylinders were working. We're getting signal to the plug, as it's arching just fine when the cable is unplugged, and we changed the spark plug, though i'm not sure the one I put in was in the greatest shape.

Tonight I'm gonna double check all the wires to make sure they're hooked up right, and all firing. Then I'll check to see if the injector is working via 9V battery. If all checks out ok I'll be making a run to the store to get a set of new plugs. If it's the injector I'm not gonna be thrilled as they all worked fine before... grrr. Hopefully it's just water shorting the connection or something. It has been outside for the last year...

At any rate IT RUNS!!!

If I have time tonight I'll hook up the driveshaft and get it moved out of the backyard.

I got pretty pissed last night.

Got all my tools together. Trying to hurry up and get the driveshaft on while there's sunlight outside. Get under the car, get the driveshaft down there and start to mate it up to the transmission...

...doesn't want to go on. What?

Hmm... pull it out, bring out my old driveshaft that was on the turbo donor car... differnent spline counts on the transmission yoke.

Apparently the 2+2 turbo had a 26-2 (meaning 24 teeth with two blank areas for locating) and the 2 seater turbo had 24-2 (meaning 22 teeth with two blank areas for locating)

It's quite obvious when you look at it. The opening on the 2+2 yoke is a good 1/4 inch larger in diameter.

So I guess I've gotta call around and see if I can get the yoke changed. If I get the same BS from shops saying the yokes are irraplacable on that shaft then I might consider just craiglisting the whole project and buying something else. I'm pretty mad at this point that I'm getting help up by an issue as stupid as this.

Well took the driveshaft to a local tranny shop I've had work done at in the past. Good honest guys with previous race experience. They really seem to know what they're talking about when I've delt with them in the past. Never felt they were feeding me BS.

They said from the looks of it they can swap the yokes, and if there's any problems they'd give me a call today. No calls yet, so maybe things are going good.

Price? $80. Not bad, probably charging me an hour labor. If it all works out I'm happy.

Do you remember what year yours was? My donor was a late 83', maybe nissan changed things in that year or late in production run.

Shop called me today, they can't work on it, due to the yokes being a certain type they can't remove without destroying.

Right now I'm wondering if it'd be cheaper to get a 2 seater turbo tranny instead of getting a custom driveshaft made. grrr

• 1 month later...

Driving out to novato thursday to look at the turbo parts car out there that's been on craigslist for about a month.

If the shaft is still the wrong spline count i'll talk to the guy about buying the tranny as well. I'm also considering buying the whol turbo motor since he doesn't want to sell me just the turbo + exhaust manifold.

Well I finally get to say it.

I was right all along.

Nissan made 8 different driveshafts for the S130 cars.... EIGHT!!!

Here's the list:

Manual 2 seater NA

Manual 2+2 NA

Auto 2 seater NA

Auto 2+2 NA

Manual 2 seater Turbo

Manual 2+2 Turbo

Auto 2 seater Turbo

Auto 2+2 Turbo

The car I went and look at yesterday was an auto. The auto tranny was a completely different length than the manual, and also had a different sleave on it, but it WAS the right spline count, so I think the first shaft I bought must have been an NA shaft, and the guy thought he had a turbo tranny... doesn't know how to reconize a T5?

So I'm back to square one. If I want to get this car running I'll probably have to swap the tranny out for the NA tranny. Though now that I've got a daily driver I might just spend my time throwing out all the spare crap I've got and just wait for another turbo car to pop up.