HybridZ
JMortensen

Help! What suspension modifications should I do?

240zzzap    10

Google isn't turning up any satisfactory results for the "z select" brand of LCAs and TC rods... anyone have a link? I'd like to check out their designs...

(Am I just being retarded?)

since the zselect.com domain name is up for sale, try this Z-select :)

but the e-mail address azcarbum@msn.com shown there led me to hybridZ-member azcarbum whose profile led me to http://www.zccjdm.com/, which in turn led me to the suspension and steering section, which doesn't show the 'Zselect' parts, which does confuse me a bit :)

Edited by 240zzzap

zredbaron    6

since the zselect.com domain name is up for sale, try this Z-select :)

but the e-mail address azcarbum@msn.com shown there led me to hybridZ-member azcarbum whose profile led me to http://www.zccjdm.com/, which in turn led me to the suspension and steering section, which doesn't show the 'Zselect' parts, which does confuse me a bit :)

Agreed, but at least it lead to me ordering the Z-select alternator bracket! Success, assuming I hear back from that email address! Haha, confusing indeed...

Thanks.

deja    121

Agreed, but at least it lead to me ordering the Z-select alternator bracket! Success, assuming I hear back from that email address! Haha, confusing indeed...

Thanks.

I recently bought some stuff from Brian, he will respond to your email at that address. Great guy to do business with.

zredbaron    6

I recently bought some stuff from Brian, he will respond to your email at that address. Great guy to do business with.

He did, thanks!

Also, in case anyone had the same question I did regarding relocation of the front LCA pivot point, according to johnc: 'I move the hole up 3/4" and out 1/4".'

Front suspension swaps aren't as popular as of yet, but many GT2 Z racers have fabricated their own SLA (short and long arm) front suspensions.

Cool! I did a quick search, but I don't think I'm typing in the right key words...

I did find this page, though:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/60730-hybridz-custom-suspension-design-thread/page__hl__%2Bsla+%2Bfront+%2Bsuspension__st__20

Cool pics, but mostly just experiments. I'd like to see / read about what the GT2 guys are *actually* running on the track!

JMortensen    235

The one I recall had the strut tube cut and capped with a stud sticking out of it, and the UCA attached to that. I'm sure I've seen others, but that was the one that stuck with me. Not very impressive fabrication, but if it works, that's the important part.

FWIW, on my car I actually measured the bumpsteer and it tuned out at about 1/2" up.

EDIT--agree about Brian. Have bought parts twice from him, very good to do business with.

Edited by JMortensen

zredbaron    6

FWIW, on my car I actually measured the bumpsteer and it tuned out at about 1/2" up.

You'll have to forgive me, Jon, I'm one of the many HybridZ guys that doesn't know anything until I've actually upgraded it! (I'm trying to upgrade / learn about low-friction LCAs, etc. at the moment)

...are you saying that bumpsteer *begins* after the strut moves up 1/2" above where the strut sits at rest when the car is on its own weight?

JMortensen    235

Read the bumpsteer FAQ post for a primer on bumpsteer.

When you correct for it, you can either move the outer tie rod down, or the LCA pivot up. JTR has a spec, and various other sites and people have their spec, but I basically see them all as just guessing. In order to really figure it out you have to measure. I slotted the front crossmember and then moved the LCA up until the bumpsteer went away on the gauge. That point was when the LCA pivot had moved up 1/2". With that modification the car went from doing a sharp jerk on one particular bump at the track to being smooth as silk afterwards, and no more sawing at the wheel in long sweepers on the track. It was a very noticeable difference when I was driving at the limit. So while some say 3/4" up and 1/4" out, and others say 13/16" or whatever up, the best way IMO is to measure it and minimize it.