HybridZ

Differential / CV / LSD / HP / Torque / R160 / R180 / R200 / R230 / Diff Mount

JMortensen

Looks good to me Jon....

The main reason I can see to include the "KR" diff is that it seems they are more abundant in the junkyards today due to the fact that all the 720 pickup diffs have long since been snatched up. Up until recently no one knew how easy it is to convert the SX diff to use the stock halfshafts, which means there are still quite a few 4:11 (and 3:90's) out there waiting to be used.

I was going to buy the one the pick and pull yanked the CV halfshafts out of, but they wanted more than what I paid for the brand new OEM diff I luckily won on Ebay.:icon56:

WOW!!!

Great info i have been reading this and some other ones about DIFFS for the last hour and it is very intresting other then that it is very easy to read and navigate just like Stony's RB swap guide. Make it a sticky or a FAQ very very helpfull.

Allthough i got a question out of the ordinary. I got 75 280z, originally it was an auto and then it got swich to a 5-speed and diffrent diffrential. Jon originally posted that the longnose R200 came out of 2+2 Z, 280z and 280zx. I just want it to find out what i had in my Z before since it was and auto did it use a diffrent LSD?

If now i have R200 that was an orginal from 280z back in 75 all i have to do is just replace my LSD to an open from Nismo or Kaaz/Cusco and that should hold up pretty well with my RB26 in it.

I spun my wheels many times and it looked like both of the whell had spun but it seemed like one made more power then the other one.

I know its kind of stupid of me asking this question but i just wanted youre advice guys. Great write up!!!

Thanks everyone and specially you Jon!!!

Originally your 280Z with an auto would have had an R180. If you have an R200 now, you should be able to do like you said and use the KAAZ or Cusco diffs. The way the Datsuns put the power down is such that they often will leave two stripes with an open diff, in fact lots of people think they have an LSD just because they can do a two stripe burnout. It's just a function of the IRS suspension.

Zmanco, to the best of my knowledge, the ("K") R-180 from the 200SX base models weren't offered with LSD.

If any of the 200SX models were offered with LSD from the factory, I would assume it would have been the Turbo models or the V-6 models, but they used an R-200 and neither of those models sold in high numbers at least compared to the base models.

The main reason people ought to look for the SX diff is for the ratio they want to go with a 5 speed tranny swap, then later adding an aftermarket LSD.

I would assume the R-200's from the 200SX's would be compatible with the ZXT CV halfshafts for an easy bolt in swap into an 240-280Z, but I have no first hand knowledge as I've never found a Turbo or V-6 200SX in a salvage yard in my area to experiment with.:icon56:

I'm going to edit some of these posts, so if you're wondering where your post went I modified it. The thing is I want this one to be free from speculation because I'm going to use it to write the FAQ. If you have a question that isn't about the accuracy of the original post or doesn't expand on the original post, please start another thread.

I have a 200SXT longnose R200 diff with 4.11 and the Z31T CV shafts will work, I can verify that one.

Zmanco, yours is gone because I've never been able to verify that the 200SXTs ever came with LSD. I don't think they did, despite references to it that you will occasionally find on the internet.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest aarc240

try this uploaded image

edit - curious, I couldn't get the thumbnail to show an image in the original post by 2ManyZs, just the red X place marker, until I tried uploading. Now BOTH thumbnails work!

R200 Torsen_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...