HybridZ

Differential / CV / LSD / HP / Torque / R160 / R180 / R200 / R230 / Diff Mount

JMortensen

"AND the subaru R160 units have the same spline count and can be converted this way too... "

BJ,

do you know what years that would be . I am very interested in the easy swap to a newer suby rear and the weight saving over a r200 is something to be considered.

Jon, great right up. You sure save us a lot of questions and research. Then again , you sure cause a lot of questions and researchfor me:lol: if you know what I mean. Lot's of alternatives here , but not complaining!!!

• 4 months later...

So has anyone heard of [edit: someone breaking] the R230 yet? I might have the opportunity to be the first person to break it, although I'm also considering the Ford 8.8 IRS for strength. It seems the axles end up the first part to fail. Is anyone making 4340 or billet axles for the R230?

Is it possible to swap in a short nose R200 from the 89+ 240SX's? I haven't seen anything as of yet...There was a guy back in Okinawa who sent his S30 up to mainland Japan to have an entire GTR rear subframe custom installed...he was running a built SR20DET with a T04Z...that sucker was awesome!

Did you brain fart there 280Z28? R230 is in the title of the very thread you're posting to asking if anyone has ever heard of an R230. Probably wouldn't be there if we'd never heard of it, don't you think? Same thing with Matt K. Please read the whole thread before you post to it. Both of these diffs, the shortnose R200 and R230 are discussed at length right here. Can't make it any more obvious than that.

So has anyone heard of [edit: someone breaking] the R230 yet? I might have the opportunity to be the first person to break it, although I'm also considering the Ford 8.8 IRS for strength. It seems the axles end up the first part to fail. Is anyone making 4340 or billet axles for the R230?

Just what are you exactly planning on doing motor wise????? My blower motor, before I swapped to a R-230, was producing over 400 rwft.lbs. using my stock R-200/ u-joints with no problems. When I went to 195 AFR heads I also did the R-230 conv. just because I could, not because I was breaking parts of the stock R-200 set-up.

LARRY

• 1 month later...

Identify this differential. It is an R160 from a Subaru. Note the ratio! At first I thought it was an open differential as output shafts turn opposite direction when one is turned. It doesn't look like a normal open diff.

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So is it safe to say that if I am looking for a KAAZ LSD unit for my 92 Q45 VLSD diff, I should be asking for the Z32 NA unit? I called Option Imports and they do not have a listing for the Q45 diff. Not surprised. It appears the only difference between the Q45 and the NA Z32 diff would be the gearing. Am I right or "out to lunch"? The Z32 unit would cost me $855.00 + shipping.

Let me know I need to order one soon.

Should I source out from someone else?