HybridZ

Differential / CV / LSD / HP / Torque / R160 / R180 / R200 / R230 / Diff Mount

JMortensen

Jon,

Hope this goes with the flow of this thread but I wanted to know is whether the yokes for all these r160,r180,r200 are interchangable?

I don't believe that they are. I think the spline count on the end of the pinion is different on all of them. Haven't got any proof of that, but I think it's right.

• 2 weeks later...

For the R200 swap into a 240z, when swapping the pinion flange on the R200, do NOT use the flange from a 1975 280z. The bolt spacing and diameter was different for this year and this year only. Thus, the driveshaft will not bolt up to the differential.

For the R200 swap into a 240z, when swapping the pinion flange on the R200, do NOT use the flange from a 1975 280z. The bolt spacing and diameter was different for this year and this year only. Thus, the driveshaft will not bolt up to the differential.

I have never seen this. As far as I know, all Z differentials from 70-83 have the same input flange bolt circle. Yes, the ones on the R200 are round instead of rectangular in shape, but the bolt circles are the same (just put one in a few weeks ago). The Z31s have a different bolt circle, so when you swap in a Z31 CLSD, you need to swap the input flange from a 75-83 R200.

Ok, you made me go out, crawl under my car and take pictures. :)

z-ya, it's documented over at Zcar.com believe it or not. The 1975 R200 used a 10mm diameter bolt instead of an 8mm diameter bolt, and the bolt spacing is slightly wider than the "standard" bolt spacing.

Following are the pictures of my driveshaft flange and the 1975 differential flange. You can clearly see that the bolt hole on the differential flange is larger than the driveshaft, that the spacing of the recess' are different (center of flanges), and that the bolt spacing is different.

diff1_thumb.JPG

diff2_thumb.JPG

diff3_thumb.JPG

ds1_thumb.JPG

ds2_thumb.JPG

ds3_thumb.JPG

ds4_thumb.JPG

ds5_thumb.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The flange for the 280zx turbo R200 has a wider bolt spacing than the flanges found on 200sx turbo R200s and normally aspirated R200 280zx cars.

I changed the 3.90 R200 out in my first generation maxima for a 3.54 out of a 280zx turbo and had to swap the flange.

Though the maxima didn't come with R200, it bolts right in if you use a 200sx turbo differential mount.

Ok I have read this whole thread but I didn't find what I was looking for. Do the 280ZXT rear axles slide right into a 300ZXT 3.7 LSD diff? Is the spline count and length the same?

If I missed this in the thread somewhere just tell me!

Thanks! :-)

Guy

Ok I have read this whole thread but I didn't find what I was looking for. Do the 280ZXT rear axles slide right into a 300ZXT 3.7 LSD diff? Is the spline count and length the same?

If I missed this in the thread somewhere just tell me!

Yes they do.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm just going to make an assumption that the 280ZX N/A falls into Longnose R200 territory ?

Yes. Fixed the info to include the S130.

Ok, so from that, my '78 Fairlady 280Z (USA knows them as 280ZX, mine Jap Domestic market) should be a longnose R200

How do I confirm that from exterior details?

Are there stampings or markings on the diff/gears that allow you to identify which differential is in your car?

I'd quite like to know too :D

2510961246_d46a866531.jpg

That is an R200 long nose. The 280zx's do not use a moustache bar like the S30s as can be seen in the photo. The best way to "visually" identify an R200 versus R180 is the measure the pumpkin or cover. The R200 is quite a bit larger and is more "round" (height and width are similar); the R180 pumpkin/cover is more "elliptical" (it is taller than wider).

The only way to tell what gears are in the differential is to open the rear cover and look for a marking stamp on the ring gear. For instance, 39:11 would be 39/11 = 3.54, 39:10 = 3.90, 37:10 = 3.70, 37:11 = 3.36.

A less accurate way would be to spin the driveshaft and then count the revolutions of the driveshaft relative to the revolutions of the rear wheels. For a 3.54 differential, every 3.54 revolutions of the driveshaft result in 1 revolution of the rear wheels.

The only way to tell what gears are in the differential is to open the rear cover and look for a marking stamp on the ring gear. For instance, 39:11 would be 39/11 = 3.54, 39:10 = 3.90, 37:10 = 3.70, 37:11 = 3.36.
Or, 41:13 = 3.15 in my case :icon6:

A less accurate way would be to spin the driveshaft and then count the revolutions of the driveshaft relative to the revolutions of the rear wheels. For a 3.54 differential, every 3.54 revolutions of the driveshaft result in 1 revolution of the rear wheels.
I don't mean to be picky (but I am), but it would technically be more accurate to do it this way versus merely trusting the numbers. I only say that because some gears could be misstamped. Of course, you'd need to have a pretty precise way to measure it - that shouldn't be too hard.

Sorry, the spin and count method isn't accurate either. Per Einstien's theory of Special Relativity you get length contraction when any mass is in motion. You need to adjust with your measuring tools because length contraction affects the starting point and the ending point of the spinning masses.

Personally I would rely on the stamped numbers on the ring gear just to avoid relativity issues.

Personally I would rely on the stamped numbers on the ring gear just to avoid relativity issues.

Good one :mrgreen:...

Counting teeth works if you don't believe the numbers on the ring gear.

I prefer In-Steins theory of special relationality. "The more steins of alcohol consumed, the closer your drinking buddies become, until at saturation point blood brotherhood ensues"

;)