HybridZ
JMortensen

Differential / CV / LSD / HP / Torque / R160 / R180 / R200 / R230 / Diff Mount

Zmanco, to the best of my knowledge, the ("K") R-180 from the 200SX base models weren't offered with LSD.

If any of the 200SX models were offered with LSD from the factory, I would assume it would have been the Turbo models or the V-6 models, but they used an R-200 and neither of those models sold in high numbers at least compared to the base models.

The main reason people ought to look for the SX diff is for the ratio they want to go with a 5 speed tranny swap, then later adding an aftermarket LSD.

I would assume the R-200's from the 200SX's would be compatible with the ZXT CV halfshafts for an easy bolt in swap into an 240-280Z, but I have no first hand knowledge as I've never found a Turbo or V-6 200SX in a salvage yard in my area to experiment with.:icon56:

I'm going to edit some of these posts, so if you're wondering where your post went I modified it. The thing is I want this one to be free from speculation because I'm going to use it to write the FAQ. If you have a question that isn't about the accuracy of the original post or doesn't expand on the original post, please start another thread.

I have a 200SXT longnose R200 diff with 4.11 and the Z31T CV shafts will work, I can verify that one.

Zmanco, yours is gone because I've never been able to verify that the 200SXTs ever came with LSD. I don't think they did, despite references to it that you will occasionally find on the internet.

Guest aarc240

try this uploaded image

edit - curious, I couldn't get the thumbnail to show an image in the original post by 2ManyZs, just the red X place marker, until I tried uploading. Now BOTH thumbnails work!

R200 Torsen_thumb.jpg

Guest Mike

This thread isn't a "sticky" yet?!:shock: LOTS of great info here!!!!!

"AND the subaru R160 units have the same spline count and can be converted this way too... "

BJ,

do you know what years that would be . I am very interested in the easy swap to a newer suby rear and the weight saving over a r200 is something to be considered.

Jon, great right up. You sure save us a lot of questions and research. Then again , you sure cause a lot of questions and researchfor me:lol: if you know what I mean. Lot's of alternatives here , but not complaining!!!

So has anyone heard of [edit: someone breaking] the R230 yet? I might have the opportunity to be the first person to break it, although I'm also considering the Ford 8.8 IRS for strength. It seems the axles end up the first part to fail. Is anyone making 4340 or billet axles for the R230?

Is it possible to swap in a short nose R200 from the 89+ 240SX's? I haven't seen anything as of yet...There was a guy back in Okinawa who sent his S30 up to mainland Japan to have an entire GTR rear subframe custom installed...he was running a built SR20DET with a T04Z...that sucker was awesome!