HybridZ

R200 & Quaife - OR - R230 VLSD - for 700HP SBC

Guest Mike

Flame me if you like guys... I DID search but found no posts specific to this:lol:

GIVEN: My 260 is already updated to an open R200 3.9 diff so adding a Quaife is probably my easiest solution. Engine will soon be updated to a SBC 434 stroker with 500HP NA plus 200HP nitrous... OR... a BBC 454 with similar numbers. Tranny will be a BUILT 200R4 with a 3K stall. Tires will be appropriate for the Alpha 1 but with wider rims/tires on the back (plenty of rubber on the pavement). This is a STREET-DRIVEN car, not a track car. Traction out of the apex is of little concern. I'm concerned about straight line traction off the line. Cost is of secondary concern. I just want to ensure I don't destroy my diff.

QUESTION: Should I update the R200 with a Quaife... OR... swap to an R230 VLSD WITHOUT a Quaife?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks John. So... do you think an UNwelded R200 VLSD will hold up against 700HP/700Torque? Will the clutches survive over time? I don't want to weld my diff since this is a street-driven car.

VLSD doesn't have clutches. It seems that the VLSD is damn near bulletproof. I'd suggest you go that way. R230 should be the strongest, so if strength is your priority, then you just have to deal with making a mount for it.

The Quaife on the other hand is guaranteed for life even if you race, no matter what engine you put in front of it.

Thanks JON. This isn't a "race car" nor will it see a track other than rare visits for 1/4 mile runs. This is a street-driven daily driver that I will use to SHAME Mustangs and Camaros. I estimate that a "new" Quaife will cost me $1500 including installation. A "used" the R230 VLSD will cost me about half that... maybe $800 including additional parts/labor.

Given my power figures in the original post and an estimate of $700 more for a Quaife with lifetime warranty, do you still recomend the R230 VLSD?

i'd read up a bit about what's required to put an R230 diff in the 260,sounded a PITA to me unless you had lots of skill/time/money(pick one) especially when you have an R200 already installed(is it uni or CV halfshafts?)

not sure about the R230 VLSD but the R200 VLSD is not very strong as far as the LSD goes,the viscous coupling won't cope with anything over moderate HP before going open centre,and it's not rebuildable

the quaife is the way i'd go,lifetime,unconditional warranty and the advantage of the torque biasing system that for the street means no chattering/chirping around tight corners or carparks,no diff steering on deceleration,no adjustments to maintain full LSD just fit and forget

it's the warranty that sold me on the quaife

this is just my opinion for what it's worth

let us know what you end up with

The Quaife is amazing. I could write you a couple pages on it, but it's going to sum up to "amazing." So there it is. I think it will cost you more than 1500$ but if you can in any way afford it, I would recommend it.

I have never driven an S30 with a VLSD, just a 240sx, and only briefly, so I can't comment on a comparison. All I can say is that with the Quaife, I got every penny's worth. If I had to build another Z from scratch, it would be one of the first things I bought.

Yeah... I'm having second thoughts about the R230. I think installing a PG Power Brute to my existing R200 open diff is a better solution.

i'd read up a bit about what's required to put an R230 diff in the 260,sounded a PITA to me...

FORREST... I've been reading about the Quaife and understand it's phenomenal for everything except straight-line take off. It can cause one-wheel spins. How does yours do in a quarter mile run? Has it ever done that? I'm now considering the PG Power Brute, which I believe I can use to convert my R200 open diff to CLSD.

FORREST... I've been reading about the Quaife and understand it's phenomenal for everything except straight-line take off. It can cause one-wheel spins.

Here I was thinking that Quaifes usually spin the inside tire on a high g-load turn like a long sweeper or at autox...

R200/230-Q45 VLSD's are used to push +-4000lb cars around as well as the 300zxtt's. This is the route I'm going with a 7MGTE turbo swap into a 71 240. It would seem (please correct me if i'm wrong) that this unit will work much better in a car that is 1500lb+- lighter as the units seem to work well with the 300zxtt's that I have seen at auto-x events under heavy use. At what point of power or weight does this unit become a not so good choice for the light weight 240z pushing 350hp or more. It seems the best choice given the parts availability and price.

The quaifed R200 should hold all the power you can throw at it. The R230 VLSD would be ok for a straight line car, but would suffer for a car that is used for road racing purposes.

Do the R200 with a quaife and CV's. Thats would be the best all around setup IMO. If you could do a R230 with a quaife, that would be even better for a bomb proof setup. The problem is the diff is substainally more expensive from quaife for the R230.

Regards,

Justin

I don't know about "hideous" but I have heard from many an autoxer that the VLSD is prone to slippage, and that the hotter it gets the more prone it is. Not factual Larry, but there it is. According to previous threads it is possible to change the fluid in the VLSD to make it more aggressive.

It seems to me that for a very high hp application the VLSD is the way to go. Plus, most guys with 5, 6, 700 hp are drag racers, and it's much easier to limit slippage in a straight line than it is in a tight turn due to weight transfer like an autoxer or road racer has to worry about.

Thanks for all the great posts, guys. As always they are entertaining, engaging, and factually variegated:lol:

For some reason, it takes me FOREVER to come to a decision on things and this is no exception:confused: This come from not knowing WTF I'm doing, which is nothing new, I'm afraid:icon56:

Anyway, please keep posting and I'll navigate through your replies. Eventually, I WILL make up my feeble mind:shock: