HybridZ

ls1 w/ taurus fan wiring question

hey guys, i've searched and searched and cant find what i need. i know some of you have used the two speed taurus fan with your ls1 swaps and need to know how you wired it up. which of the factory camaro fans is the high and which is the low?? if not ill just have to start her up and then watch for which relay kicks on first. hope you all put your two cents in first though

cody

I used the low speed wiring to the high speed side of the taurus fan through a 75 amp relay. On the feed side I hooked a # 3 cable up straight to the alternator, and on the supply side I ran a 60 amp fuse. Do a search on "Taurus" and you'll find what you need.

Anyways i dont think i was clear with my question, im wondering which of the two cooling fan wires (labeled 1 & 2) out of the ls1 ecu is the high speed fan and which is the low speed fan. i dont need any info on the fan itself

hey thanks, got that hooked up. now another ls1 wiring question. i can not get either my tach or my speedo to work. traced my wiring back all the way to the computer and its good. my ecu doesn't seem to be putting out any signal for either. whats going on?? i had somebody edit my computer could he have deleted the signal output?? im using autometer ultralites by the way

messed around with the tach and speedo wiring again today. man this is pissing me off. still nothing. can i even plug autometers directly into the stock ls1 computer?? ive searched and searched and cant find anything helpful

i checked and rechecked my wiring. i even pulled the wires from right out of ecu, switched my tach to 4 cyl, still nothing. nothing nothing nothing. i dont know what to do!!:( there doesn't seem to be any signal at all coming out of the ecu. i dont know if this has anything to do with it but my odometer's back-light flashes when it's powered. car drives great but it really sucks not having a speedo or tach

You have to calibrate the speeddo before it will work. See the Autometer website for details. Mine didnt work until I did that. Some of the docs you find online have the wrong wires listed for the tach and speedo. Make sure you have the right year info. On the speedo I also ended up using a 10k pullup resistor to keep it from jumping around.

Cho,

Sound like it's a common problem. Check the power and ground to both gauges first. How did you wire your gauges? did you run all new wires or did you use the old wires from the harness? The tach has the existing wire to the gauge already. You have to check for continuity from the gauge to the connectors and mark it. I know there are couple wires looked almost the same. For the speedo you have to run a new wire from the gauge to the connector. I used one of the old wire from 1 of the blinker for the speedo. GL

Vinh

i used existing wires for the 12v constant and ground, and ran new wires directly from the guages to the ecu for signal. both guages power on correctly (tach goes down to zero, speedo jumps to mid-point and then back to zero with the odometer coming on). after that they do nothing. ive checked the wiring a million times but ill check it again. by the way, what do you mean by mark the continuity??

Anyways i dont think i was clear with my question, im wondering which of the two cooling fan wires (labeled 1 & 2) out of the ls1 ecu is the high speed fan and which is the low speed fan. i dont need any info on the fan itself

Just a word of warning, if you plan to run the high fan, don't wire it up so it's JUST the high speed going at all times. If I'm not mistaken, the high fan in the taurus is used primarily when the A/C is on. My buddy made that mistake with his mustang and fried the wiring all the way into the dash.

EDIT*

I don't think he was running an inline fuse though, I'm not certain.

• 3 weeks later...

having troubles with my fans again. they are not kicking on. i checked all of my wiring it it is good. the fans work fine too, so no problem there. doesn't seem like im getting a signal from the ecu!!! what could cause this?? perhaps my computer is just screwed

having troubles with my fans again. they are not kicking on. i checked all of my wiring it it is good. the fans work fine too, so no problem there. doesn't seem like im getting a signal from the ecu!!! what could cause this?? perhaps my computer is just screwed
Did they work for a while and then stop, or did you never get them to work correcty? If it's like my LT1 PCM the output for the fans is ground, not power.

This should be very simple to check. Cut the signal wire from your relay and connect it to 12V. If that kicks the fan on then do a continuity check from there to the PCM connector for the signal wire. If the continuity checks OK then double check the wire from your coolant temp sensor to the PCM. If those wires are OK then something could be wrong with your PCM. GL

Vinh