HybridZ

Hood latch cable broke

Yep, you did it pretty much like I did. The linkage acts as the transition point in going from horizontal to vertical and, in your case, the wire insulation give it a good surface to slide on, making it less apt to bind or catch. My current car has functional side vents on the fenders so my backup release wire stays horizontal all the way out. It ends just out of view inside one of the vent slots on the driver's side.

Mike MIleski

Tucson, AZ

post-116-0-79301700-1476073848_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

So, after months of sitting in my garage my son started taking the Z apart while running the engine to keep the battery charged. He removed the turn signals (280Z with signals in the grille). That gave him access to the front hinge bolts and then he removed the hinge bolts.  He attempted to pull or push the hood release mechanism but was unable to do so.  Just couldn't get a grip on it.  He redid his tool and came back a few days later when I was in town.  We tried that technique again and were unsuccessful.  Finally I got fed up, grabbed the front of the hood, and lifted it as far as I felt I could without bending or breaking something.  He was then able to just barely reach the bolts that hold the latch to the hood and remove them.  One we got the right ratcheting wrench it went quickly and now the hood is off and I'm working on repairing the mechanism and the cable.  The cable broke about an inch from the end.  I thought the bulb on the end had pulled off but, nope, the cable itself broke. Not sure what my long-term plan is but I certainly want to have some kind of back-up to the standard release.  I'me also going to adjust the latch mechanism so that the spring compresses less and therefore requires less pull to release it. Fortunately I have a spare hood release cable. I looked for them online and they were running about $250 when I could find them.  I need to start hitting salvage yards and accumulating a few of them.