HybridZ

GEICO insurance problems

greenmonster80

I have had geico for several years and had no complaints until now. They have insured my hakosuka sice it got here. One good reason to stick with them. However it has been undergoing a full body restore for some time (2 yrs). Today in the mail I receive a letter stating that they are revoking my policy at the expiration date because I do not have possession of the car. Mine you that when I first decided to dedicate the car to the body shop I called them to inform them about my decision. In return they sent me several forms to fill out as to who was doing the work, what kind of work, estimated cost of work and where the work was being conducted. All of which I filled out and did in honestly. This way I maintain comprehensive converage. At less than $3.00 for 6 months at a time. Better safe than sorry right? Long story short after a couple heated telephone conversations they break down and say that when I take possession of the car again they will look into renewing my policy....I feel slighted and this is bull...Anybody dealt with something similar regardless of company? Curious to hear the outcome. Safe to say that I will be moving on to another company once my other vehicle's policy comes to renewal....

I have had extremely good luck with gieco. I might be one of the exceptions, but I swear by them. They have paid more than one claim on my part and have never raised my rates.

There are many different types of car insurance. I had a state farm policy that basically let me keep my car in the garage but not to drive it (my state requires insurance to keep plates). It was about $30 every 6 months. Maybe your policy was similar? The price was so cheap because the risk was so minimal. Guess they feel the risk is higher now that you don't have control over the vechicle.

If your car has been in a body shop for that long, then why do you need insurance on it? Doesn't the shop have insurance that covers customer's cars?

Looking back it looks like I am defending gieco. I am not trying to do that so no flames please. Just trying to help you figure out options.

Every body shop I have been to has the big sign stating "NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR FIRE, THEFT OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND" or something to that effect.

While my '74 was in the body shop for 11 months I had insurance on it, but didn't go through the paper work with the insurance company. I don't know what would have happened if something went wrong while there. Nationwide was the company I had at the time (for 12 years at that time) and they knew it was in the body shop and didn't have any paper work for me to fill out. They just said it was covered. I had replacement insurance on it, without appraised value (I know). Infact, I had insurance on my '74 two years after the body shop while it sat in my garage getting put back together. I finally cancelled it after talking to my mortgage company about the vehicle and raising my insurance to cover any damages that could happen while in the garage for ANY vehicle. It came out to be about the same money through the same company using the house policy rather then the vehicle policy. Go figure.

I <3 Allstate.... I am going to buy a bike soon tho.... and they don't like bike insurance... so I gotta find a place that gives me a decent deal......a Buell Lightning.... woot woot!!! just something for kicks and weekends.....

I have a friend that has Geico cancel him b/c he got a ticket for Felony Speeding, even after he took it to court and was proven "not guilty"....

I forget the whole story about how the insurance company got wind of it since it shouldn't of hit his record...

My money is with AllState, I have stated Value of 30k on my Z and i have receipts for 99% of everything, so if my Z comes up missing, wrecked, stripped, or fire bombed, i should be able to recover my losses... (this time some ones L28 240z will be in my sights, as my project)... i talked with my insurance agent for about 3 hours trying to figure out the best way to get a policy with out spending big bucks, and with out breaking the bank, but keeping my car well insured.. (I pay 3,200 a year, sounds bad but I have 1 wreck and 1 stop-sign ticket on my record for another 6 months)

GEICO supplies radar detectors to Police departments, in the interest of safety, of course. I've also had them dispute a slam dunk no brainer police report and refuse to pay a claim. I will never do business with them again. But Mike has it right- every insurance company will screw you.

Insurance companies have large staffs to nickel and dime your claims into nothing. They're all a bunch of thieving crooked liars who pay lobbyists to pay off politicians, who make laws that allow this nonsense to occur. There are no exceptions. It's big business in bed with politics.

Insurance companies have large staffs to nickel and dime your claims into nothing. They're all a bunch of thieving crooked liars who pay lobbyists to pay off politicians, who make laws that allow this nonsense to occur. There are no exceptions. It's big business in bed with politics.

Easy, let's keep it civil and non-political as possible (truth be damned). Gracias.

Davy

I got the insurance for the car while being work on for the "just in case" piece of mind. All the paperwork had the info for where the car was located and who was doing it. Not a fly-by-night place or some dude in his garage. High quality restore shop. Lots of business with dealerships and hot-rodders so I figured no problem and it wasn't for the first 18 months. I had renewed this policy several times as needed to maintain coverage and always filled out the duplicate paperwork they continued to send me. I hope this thread lives forever and anybody who googles GEICO reads it. They suck..

I had Allstate as my first insurer, I was on my parents' policy and they had their life, homeowners, car, and every other kind of insurance through them. After a couple of years my brother pointed out that I was paying more than the value of my car every year in the insurance premiums. I pointed this out to my parents who said I was getting a great deal and that I should be happy they let me on their policy. So I called around. The very first place I called offered me the same policy, 100/300, comprehensive for $1000/year LESS than Allstate. My parents were pretty shocked, but it wasn't an "offshore" company or any of that so they let me switch. I called Allstate to cancel and they said "Oh, we can reduce your rates to that amount, no problem. Why don't you just stay with us?" I said "You gonna give me back the $3000 dollars I overpaid in the first couple of years?" Of course the answer was no, and of course I told them that I would be changing insurance companies in a not very polite way. :lol:

When I went to insure the Z I had some other insurance, can't even remember now who the carrier was, but they would not insure it for stated value. I searched around and found State Farm would help me out. I've since been a customer of theirs for the last 8 or so years and they have been great to me. They handle all of my insurance and they give me a very good deal. My wife and I have each had accidents since changing to State Farm. I was driving along and a van didn't stop for a stop sign and T boned us, and then my wife was driving up our street and a Hummer backed out from behind a tree and hit her Sentra. They weren't our fault, the rates didn't go up, the company helped us out with rental cars and all that, the one car that got T boned was fixed at the best body shop in town, the other was totalled and we were given a fair price for it. So count me as one 100% happy State Farm customer.

JIM... Did you say that State Farm insures your car for stated value... "agreed value"? Is your Z a daily driver and do they know that? If your answers are yes to all questions, I'm calling State Farm today!!

I've talked to state farm in the past. You can get coverage and insure it for $10,000 but they will review the value of your car during a claim and may not pay $10,000 in the event of a claim...beware! Many people have fallen victim to this because of mis-understandings with the insurance company. There is stated value insurance like state farm has, and there is Agreed value insurance like Hagerty uses. I insure through hagarty. I also have my regular cars through Geico. Never had a problem with any claims I've had. After working in bodyshops for many years...I'll never insure through Progressive. They purposely hire people with no automotive background. They want car ignorant people as they tend to write claims for less and leave out important bits on the estimate. Ignorant people are also very hard to argue with. When I was working in the auto shops, we sent the progressive customers down the road a lot of the times because the estimates written for thier cars were a mile off from where they should've been. I've talked to many other shops around the country and they have the same problems. They write estimates low and like to cut corners on the repairs to your car.

I showed an appraisal and receipts at the time when I got insured. I'm positive that I could get them to pay what they agreed to pay should it ever come down to it. The car was my daily driver at the time, now it hasn't moved under its own power in 2+ years. When I took it off the street I got classic car insurance which limits me to something like 3000 miles/year, but that's more than I'll ever drive so who cares? At this point it's probably not going to be driven on the street at all, and the insurance is more to protect it from being stolen.

JIM... Make sure that your insurance will cover a loss if you're not driving the car to an event, or for service, or to another "designated" place in the policy. They probably have the legal right to refuse pay-out for a classic car insurance claim if your driving it to work or around town. Insurance companies are like mad scorpians... they'll sting you every time.

What are you having done to your car that it is taking them 18 months to complete?

Gieco is at least a third cheaper than anyone else I have checked, and I get new quotes every year. They have probably paid out $15K on my behalf over the years and have never raised my rates or given me a hard time. They paid with no complaints when my neighbor borrowed my truck and tagged a BMW, and also paid a second very expensive accident that I lost in arbitration (but which Gieco agrees wasn't my fault). They even made good on improperly repaired damage from the second accident that surfaced when the vehicle was being repaired from a third not my fault accident. All within 3 years.

What's not to like?

I know about their radar guns and even their crusade to ban radar detectors throughout the country. Don't like it, but since I have to whore myself to an insurance company I might as well go with the cheapest one that has a proven track record. It is all bottom line with those people so there is no reason to take any of it personally.