HybridZ

z31 engine swap. VG30DETT? RB26DETT?

Guest Mark300zxTurbo

Sorry to revive a REALLY OLD thread but this is just incorrect.

Given the same displacement Inline engines usually make WAY more torque than V engines by design. Mostly due to longer stroke. Also, inline engines are typically stronger than V engines due to more main bearing caps on the crank.

I'll chime in this ancient thread as well.

The VG30DE is an improved VG30E. They both can make very similar numbers... until about 5000 RPM where the VG30DE breathes much better.

It also has improved coolant and oil circulation, nothing major. I wish they had ditched the timing belt for a chain though...

Also, I6 engines are naturally balanced, and tend to produce more torque, everything else being the same.

Edited by BLOZ UP

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll chime in this ancient thread as well.

The VG30DE is an improved VG30E. They both can make very similar numbers... until about 5000 RPM where the VG30DE breathes much better.

It also has improved coolant and oil circulation, nothing major. I wish they had ditched the timing belt for a chain though...

Also, I6 engines are naturally balanced, and tend to produce more torque, everything else being the same.

I'll agree with that, with the VVT and heads that flow way better the dett should make more power then the ET.

As for the auto motors having smaller turbo's on the DETT's, as far as I know they have a smaller exhaust housing, the only two other things that I know of, is the intake cams are a little smaller and the ECU is supposedly detuned. This is all to help save the trans though.

'Interesting' comments about L6 engines compared with V6's :) With the same specs I can't see how one will produce more or less power or torque than the other, L6's need more main caps because their cranks are longer and therefore tend to twist more. For the same capacity a V6 will tend to be lighter too.

The main difficulty with a V6 for HybridZ purposes is packaging, particularly if its a turbo. A single is really the only practical way to go.

Edited by 260DET

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...