HybridZ

Cubic inches motors vs. light weight motors

RacerX

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Crispy Chicken
how about a 4 cyl cummins? you'd have to do some tricky gearing, but a v8 cummins will put out 1000 lb-ft easy, and a 4 cyl deisel would be sweet and lighter than the v8. you might not be able to see over the engine, but it'll fit for sure, lol

haha yeah.. Cummins would be cool!! Would work well in a datsun tractor puller car.. haha

Guest fritz280

Hey,

You should look at the yamaha V8 found in the Taurus SHO, 3.4l and about 340-370 lbs with accessories according to an engine swap site that I can no longer find. I was interested in this motor for a miata swap. It is said to be compatible with the V6 lincoln LS manual tranny or the Jag X-type manuals. Also said to be the same as the Volvo 4.4L V8 but I'v heard nothing about the bellhousing compatibility. At any rate with a decent intake / exhaust you would start at 250 hp and go up. It is a 60 degree design and is considered a well designed engine except for the moronic swedging of the cam gears. This may make it easier to pick up a motor for cheap. Yes, there are plenty of ways to make more power, easier but if we wanted easy we would be swaping motors would we?

I am a Z guy and drive a '79 with a Megasquirted, Turbo, intercooled L28

Guest fritz280

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I have founnd that hybrid z's is one of the few forums where the participants actually know the diference between a line wrench and a hammer. Most of the opinions here seem to be from experience or close knowledge instead of just ignorent opinion. Also I don't see much of the "I just got a Geo Metro and will you tell me how to put a supercharged, quad turbo sherman tank V8 in the back? Oh BTW, my budget is $112 in saved allowance."

Anyway, I was thinking about Miata swaps that would offer more charecter than adding a turbo and less weight than a 5.0 ford. Ferrarri V-8s from the old 308, 328s came to mind but are still astronomical in price. I found the guys Capri swap website and it seems pretty do-able. It would make a fine swap here for the same reasons. I hope to hear more about in the future.

Tom

Guest Crispy Chicken
Ive always wanted to do a rotary swap with a fully NA modded 13B. That would be sick.

~Alex

one things for sure, it would be one LOUD zcar..