HybridZ

Cubic inches motors vs. light weight motors

RacerX

cygnusx1... I gauge everything by my butt. I feel the power of my car by my butt, my ex-wife was a pain in the butt, my boss is a butt-chewing SOB, etc. TORQUE is my only joy at the moment. VIVA LA BUTT-WRENCHING TORQUE!!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GRUMPY... Now don't you think this is slightlly sarcastic... that is UNLESS he really has the "excess" money to dump into his project??

ok, why not a twin turbo, intercooled, methanol fueled, nitrous assisted ,572cubic inch displacement, big block ? (BEST OF BOTH WORLDS) can,t you just hear your wallet screaming in agony now??

You have to keep in mind that turbos usually add to the unreliability factor... not to mention the sheer effort involved in tuning and tweaking...

V-8 carbed all the way...

Many high mileage turbo desiels out there. My Z31t has 208k miles on it and has ben pretty good so far.

From personal experience the main thing that makes any turbo motor unreliable is going beyond the abilities of the current setup. It's pushing just that little bit further, or running a setup stable enough for some drag runs, but then autox'ing it for and hour straight.

It's just harder to keep the litte boy inside of you under control with a turbo car methinks ;)

But under lower PSI, or conservative numbers a turbo car has plenty of reliabilty. But you could possibly be right when you say "majority" bjhines.

Ya grumpy, isn't the saying seriousity killed the cat? No, well that should be the saying :D

Yeah but he said light weight OR big cubes. Why not light weight AND big cubes? It can be done you know?

Modern turbos and systems ARE reliable. Let's not get into that here because that wasn't a question anyhow. I brought it up because it's not the size of the motor, it's the amount of air it can move that makes power.

Yes, tuning a single carb is simple and a BIG motor with a single carb is a great solution AND it can be light too.

I think the V8 guys (what I think you mean by "Cubic Inch Motors") and the I6/I4/V6 or Turbo (what I think you mean by "Light") guys think the same, yet they dont know it. The only difference is that the N/A V8 guy has to put in a bigger motor to get more cubes. The Turbo guys can add boost to get more cubes. They can both be light and both be heavy.

This is what I dream about....

TTurbo-frontleftquarte.jpg

AND THIS

*!!CENSORED!!*

cygnusx1... I gauge everything by my butt. I feel the power of my car by my butt, my ex-wife was a pain in the butt, my boss is a butt-chewing SOB, etc. TORQUE is my only joy at the moment. VIVA LA BUTT-WRENCHING TORQUE!!!

That's why turbo engines are awesome... torque is insane with boost.

Maybe... but it's in a higher RPM band and there is the turbo lag issue. I want my torque and I want it the moment I stomp on the gas:mrgreen:

Peak torque on my Maxima is in the range of 2,800 rpm. Newer turbo setups have very fast spooling, like say the new Porsche 911. Its peak torque is from 1,950 rpm tp 5,000 rpm. There are numerous other turbo setups with hardly any lag. Turbo lag is extremely over exaggerated.

The big problem is when people put a turbo that is overly too large on their car. That causes major turbo lag. When sized correctly you'll have fast spool with power all around. I actually have an idea for my turbo setup, when I get around to it, that'll increase the spool at least 500 rpm or so. I think it'll spool 1,000 rpm sooner easily. It should be fully spooled well before 3,000 rpm and have tons of top end as well. If I switch to a ball bearing turbo it should spool in the low 2,000 rpm range.

Eventually when true variable turbos come out it'll be even better. That's what cars like that 911 has. But yeah, current turbo technology can be made to spool quite fast for power everywhere.

My ideal motor would be a 3-4L V8. Why V8 in particular, and in such a small displacement? Becuase 1) A V8 is usually the strongest bottom end for a V motor, and a V motor is one of the best ways to get compact power. Inline motors are tall, and even in OEM use they're slanted wich obviously shows that even the manufactures understand the downsides to a high weight balance 2) I'm not one who needs huge power, I enjoy cars the most when they feel well balanced and are actually usable for your application.

I'm with you, I love the sound of low displacement V8's. Man oh man if I could only get my hands on one of the new 4.0L V8's coming out in the new BMW M3's... 400hp, 8k rpm redline:burnout:

Well... when it comes to forced induction, I'd go with a SC... zero lag. Of course any size/weight engine can take advantage of either technology.

If I wanted INSANE POWER, I'd go with with the all aluminum 572 BBC and all the goodies Grumpy listed. Of course, that wouldn't be streetable... and yes I know he was just kidding. His first listing of a more reasonable version is a nice option though.

Keeping it a bit tamer, I'd still opt for a SBC 434 stroker with some N2O with a total of about 500-600 HP to the ground. To save weight, I'd go all aluminum after market block, heads, and intake.

Guest Crispy Chicken

My goal is to build a all around car I can have fun in. Street, track, drag strip etc. Being the redneck I am I want a lot of power. So the first thing I decided on was a turbo engine no matter what I went with. All most every na engine pushing big power with high compression has to run off race fuel and I don't want to rebuild and trailer my Z everywhere I go.

The other Key elements in choosing a engine was weight, size dimensions, displacement,performance, aftermarket support, cost of parts. Well I though it would be fun to do a inline 6 in the Z. As it came with a inline 6 from the factory. Even though they are all heavy, big and parts aren't cheap. I canceled every inline 6 out and decide to go with a 2jz-gte as it was the best choice for me in my opinion.

My goal was to make around 600-700 HP on pump gas and 900 + on race fuel. I spent about two months researching, talking to everyone calling shops asking questions and going on supra forums. Trying to figure out how I wanted to approach building the engine. Compression ratio, size turbo, what to do with the head. Meth injection or not. Am i going to use nitrous. Will pump gas be enough to suit my goals on the street and just use c-16 at the track. I all most lost my mind and bought a stupid 3.4L stoker kit for 8,000 .4L for 8K. I would have shot my self in the head after I came to reailty if I had bought that.

Well after thinking about everything for thousands of hours and making my self sick. I asked my self what do I really want out of this car. I told myself I want to pull the wheels off the ground and run 9's with the IRS in the quarter mile, ice cold AC, take it to road racing tracks and have it perform well. Drive it to work everyday, if I wanted with out getting retarded gas mileage.

Considering I'm not branded to any one manufacturer or style of any engine. As all my friends tell me to do what they think is cool and their friends think is cool. I decided to pick a engine that could come closet to all my goals and suit my needs.

Well after thinking about it for a little while. I decided to build a turbo LS1. I decided that it would work best for me. I can not think of one negative thing or fall back. With all most every other engine I considered there where a few good points and a few bad. With the LS1 it's + + + + + + +. The LS1 is way lighter than all most all in-line 6's and cast v8's 1st off, up to 200lbs + lighter. Even lighter than some cast inline 4's from what I've seen, crazy.

Second its small it sits low and can be mounted behind the struts. There is huge aftermarket support and parts are pretty cheap. I can make great power and torque at low rpm's up to redline. At 9-1 CP It should be able to make 300 + HP off boost. Turbo lag isn't an issue and I don't think it will exist with the way I'm building it. I should be able to make 1100 + HP on pump gas if i desire.

The only negative things some of my friends tell me. Is it only has one cam, push rods and its a Chevy. ah hahahha

Derek

Lets not get into this here. There is no right answer.

AMEN! Lets keep this civil, been a good thread so far methinks.

And I like your reasoning crispy. If I wanted huge potenial I'd probly have to go LS and then remove anything that says chevy on it :D

I really wish more companies had highly developed pushrod motors becuase the LS simply pulls the pants down on most V8's on the market. It's lighter, stronger, cheeper, ect. The list goes on.

Maybe one of these days I'll work up the nerve to build a chevy motor... We'll see. (as i've said many times here on HZ, i've got NO disrespect for chevy, just not my cop o' tea. For me it's like RX7's I think they're great cars but I don't think i'd ever want one and all the things associated with one).