HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys and Gals,  I just wanted to post that I'm still making light covers and hood scoops for the 250 GTO cars.  I've delivered dozens of sets over the years with no complaints.  I'm asking $80/pair and $20 covers the shipping.  Feel free to email me at:  mclapp5526@gmail.com or give me a call anytime at:  816-286-6982 to talk about the covers.

Thanks,

Mark Clapp

post-29241-0-64332800-1442276817_thumb.jpg

post-29241-0-90296900-1442276840_thumb.jpg

post-29241-0-39539400-1442276855_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark Clapp

Hi SpeedRacer, I don't have a line on the trim rings but you might try my friend John Washington at Reaction Research or Rock West Racing, who used to be the old Thunder Ranch.  I've also seen where guys mask and paint a ring with chrome paint on the inside of the covers to get the look.

Thanks,

Mark Clapp

Hi again Mark, 

Thanks for the quick reply.  Tried John Washington already and he doesn't have them.  My current ones are actually Cowles ProtektoTrim flexible stick on chrome wheel opening molding which worked well for over ten years but now the chrome is separating and bubbling.  Unfortunately Cowels no long makes the molding I need and I would really like to replace them with real metal ones.

• 4 weeks later...

Are you guys sure  that buying headlamp trim rings will actually work for you?  What I mean is that each car is pretty much a "one-of" and you rivet on the tabs for the headlamp cover screws pretty much where you feel like, so ordering trim rings probably won't  line up with the screw holes on your car- so you really need to have them made by hand on-the-spot.

But what I was thinking of doing would probably work   You put a few layers of duct tape (or posterboard?) on the headlamp cover, overlapping the edges, and trace around the cover to get the size & shape you want, and make a template.  Then you transfer that template to a sheet  of stainless steel (which you should be able to get locally), cut it out, and carefully bend it to shape.  Then you need to mark and drill the holes, polish, etc., and screw on.

You could probably fold your template in half and carefully send it in a safe way.  You might even make a template from thin, cheap, sheetmetal, and cut into quarters to mail easily.  You tape it back together before tracing.

Questions:

1- if you did make a posterboard template, would it lay flat so you could trace it?

2-  What is the thickness of the stainless steel?  2mm seems reasonable to me.

2-  Do you just screw it over the plastic-body joint?  Do you add some kind of rubber gasket to keep rain out?  I have had people tell me I need a rubber gasket for my covers, even without the trim rings.   (These people think my '63 GTO is a modern car?)

Edited by TomoHawk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Guys can i have your input on Coilovers? Make Model you would use on a 78 260z (GTO) And polly bush companies worth using? 

The time will soon be here when i have the suspension off, blasted and powder coated, so i need to get cracking on ordering some good suspension parts. 

Any help/advise is very welcome. 

• 2 months later...

I was browsing the Boranni website to see what they have to say about wheels, and you can look up your classic car.  I put in 1962 GTO, and they have specs about the original wheels.  Surpringly,  the GTO  uses 6 inch wheels! Well,, 6.5 inch for the rear wheels...    They even give you some details on the wheel, like a 42mm hub, 15 inch diameter, and the recommended tyre:  185VR15 Michelin XVS.

So, for authenticity, there really is no need to buy anything over 7 inches wide.  In fact, unless you add weight, wide wheels are dangerous on a light car- BTDT.

fwiw.

Edited by TomoHawk

John-

The car left the body shop  last July.  I still need to do a few things, like mount the fog lamps, get some trim rings, and get the new wheels, but I get to use it, and most people seem to think it's a "real car" whatever that means.   :P  I sometimes get some mixed results (I hide a digital voice recorder inside at cruises & shows.) One guy said it was just a kit car with a Ferrari shift knob and steering wheel, and another called the Eclipse seats "crappy seats" even though they were like-new. One guy cursed it because "it's not supposed to have carpet, those aren't racing seats, the gauges are wrong" and then started knocking on the body, until a friend chased him away.  For sure, if I wanted to make it really authentic, I'd have to strip out all the carpet, plastic, door and interior panels, paint the inside aluminium and lighten it another 500 LBs., but it's a GT car,"Lusso-style" and I built it as   well as the wallet and circumstances allowed. The real car enthusiasts think it's wonderful.   

Enjoy ===>   http://s955.photobucket.com/user/TomL_CleOH/library/Park%20Photos?sort=3&page=1

==>    http://s955.photobucket.com/user/TomL_CleOH/library/Paint%20Shop_After?sort=3&page=1

Edited by TomoHawk

• 3 weeks later...

My dad bought at auction about 12 years ago some original GTO Boranni wheels. He has had the splined hubs replaced by larger bore to fit his series 1 3.8 etype, and has been running them ever since. the car does look good on them, but seeing as i am now trying to build a replica GTO these wheels would really help to the look. I actually HATE that no matter how good some of the replicas are (even that black one in Vanilla Sky) as soon as you see chrome steel wire wheels the illusion is smashed to bits. The wheels make the car, its just a shame they cost so dam much!!!

So my current predicament is to replace the wheels on the etype with something my old man approves of? So that i can have the GTO wheels. 

Also (and i know they are not road legal) but if i manage to wangle the wheels i will run Dunlop CR 600L on the front and 700L on the rear, the right period racing tyres for the car. 

• 1 month later...

I haven't been on this site much over the past few years but now that I've finally got my car on the road I thought I'd post a THANK YOU to the members for their ideas and suggestions during the long long build. In the early years members on this site provided a tremendous amount of information and inspiration.

It was sad at times to see some enthusiastic starters fail to get to the finish line but those that have I now share your sense of satisfaction.

I have made wonderful friends with fellow kit owner/builders around the world and personally met a few in my travels, and their travels to Oz.

There appears to be a general lack of interest in these cars now the 240Z is moving into the 'classic' phase with few wanting to modify them with GTO kits.

Once again, my thanks to you all.

Peter

Here are a few images:

Blue%20seat%20trim%207_zpsgdh5c9ah.jpg

Cape%20Solander%20May%202016%201s_zpsgaq

105_0082_zpsha6qim3l.jpg

I particularly like this arty photo a friend of mine took.

George%203%20mod%202_zpsgfvdvdpb.jpg

Edited by Boy from Oz

Odd coincidence.. at random I thought to recover my password and check in here.. great to see so many are still around!!

I still have the red car.. still working on the white one.. never ending projects..

Nice to see you got the car done, I assume that's the Puckett nose on yours?  Looks awesome Peter!!

Yours too Tomohawk!

Speedracer, I made mine by shaping them out of .060 aluminum.. lots of hammering to get the shape, then filing to get the right look, and finally polishing.. I'm really happy with the look. Polished, standard slot screws finished them nicely.. lot of work, but totally worth it.

I'll dig out some pics from the process

Edited by chelle

Wow, the car looks awesome Peter. I'd say it was definitely one of the best, if not THE BEST, Z car – GTO conversions in existence. Glad you got it done and you should be quite proud because you tried a lot of different things and it shows! Yup, I would say it came out looking great!

Hmmmm.... you drove my GTO replica – can I drive yours? :rolleyes:

Hey Chelle, glad your are still around but I thought you sold your GTO replica quite awhile ago????

Anyway, I found some plastic chrome trim to replace the old trim on my headlight covers.  It's just OK, and will do for now, but I still want a metal trim ring.  So thanks, I guess I will attempt to make a set.