HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

Duke... Mine has a few umm... challenges. I'm working on them though ;) I'm sure I just didn't upload the pic right. I copied and pasted from my AOL photo album. I really need to get this right in the future, don't I? Perhaps I should start a HZ album.

I've been posting and updating my pics in my album. Sorry guys but I haven't been posting here in the forums. The motor is in and it's back at the body shop. Only took 4 hrs to slide the whole thing together and slip it in. That's including the laser cut flywheel, Centerforce II clutch with matching throw out bearing, roller bearing pilot bushing and custom Slik Stix shifter relocator by McCleod Ind. Haven't decided if I'll keep the Edelbrock Pro-flo EFI or go back to the carb set up.

Hey Duke, Thanks. The rims are standard 15" knock-offs. 10's in the back and 8's up front. I don't know the manufacturer though. They came with the car and there's no visible markings on them. They need to be cleaned up and polished but are otherwise in great shape. A little heavier than I would like, but they go with the era of the car.

• 3 weeks later...

Per your request - and to help make this the "Official GTO Owners" thread - here are a couple of pictures of my car.

Ferrari_32

Photo4

Speed

PS - Thank you for your support! Seriously, it's been great to watch each of you develop your own versions of the ultimate classic. Please let me know if I can help.

Edited by SpeedRacer

• 2 weeks later...

Mike- You have to decide how authentic you want it to be. I know that Dick has gone all the way with lights etc but I don’t see the value in it in my case. While I want it to look like a GTO and certainly to go like one I also want to drive it extensively so I expect things will break or be broken and I don’t want it to be off the road for too long or my bank account to be emptied. For example I am using the stop/tail and parking lights from the Landrover Discovery. I picked up a couple of fog lights (driving lights) cheap on ebay after measuring the size of the openings in my bodywork. I think the openings might vary from kit to kit so you need to check.

I have not been able to locate any side indicators that match the GTO shape so I will be buying them from England for 27 pounds. Santa gave me a couple of GTO books and I have had a read over the break. It seems that no two similar GTOs were ever built so it’s somewhat impossible to create an exact replica anyway. Oh, by the way I managed to obtain one Honda lock – one to go!

I actually did some work on my project and built the rotisserie. It had been thirty years plus since I last welded and I forgot to cover up. I have flash burns over arms and legs … I’m loving it! What is it they say, “no pain no gain”. I’m building up a real affinity with this car.

If you haven't already seen this you might be interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFfx6kdiNyM

B from O... Cool video of a NICE GTO. Does it belong to one of our members?!:eek2:

I was hoping there was a fast/easy/no-brainer answer to the lights. I actually have two that fit but they're mismatched. I'll just look for another set this size. I'm not looking for anything that precise. If I was worried about authenticity, I would save a couble hundred thousand bucks (never in my lifetime) and have a true "replica" built. Since this is a kit car, I'm not really that concerned. Besides, the Chevy V8 is a dead give-away anyway:biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys. How many of you out there had to or chose to modify the 250 GTO body molds? I've had to raise the centre of my hood about 2 inches to accomodate the taller intake manifold associated with my EFI. Although the car is originally an Alpha One the front clip was replaced with a Vela Rossa one piece hood. Kind Regards

I've considered raising my hood hump a bit but, once I have the engine remounted with the JTR kit, I think I'll have enough room for the dual quads. Some of the GTO's had taller humps anyway. As you know there were several versions made.

250 GTO Shirts or Light Jackets...

Is anyone interested in Polo shirts, T-shirts, or lightweight jackets with a 250 GTO theme? I'm not looking to make any money (not enough sales). Maybe these could include Datsun and/or hybridz info too. I'm just judging interest before I spend any time drawing up designs.

Admins - I think the last "Here comes trouble" post (and this post) should be moved to the "250 GTO Door Buttons" thread as they are both related to that subject.

I agree with Peter and I think the Honda lock is a much more elegant solution that more closely replicates the original GTO door button than the MG version does. The fabricated door mechanism seems to have a few people confused but it is really quite simple. There is a bracket that holds it to the door using the original door handle bolt holes. On one end of that bracket is a round sleeve that the Honda door button cylinder slides in to. The only moving part changes the horizontal motion from the Honda door button plunger to the vertical motion required to operate the original Datsun door latch by connecting to the stock Datsun adjustable push rod.

BTW, thanks for the great pictures Here comes trouble and they will help explain my modifications.

Please note that on the pictures you can see a long rectangular raised boss on the side of the Honda door lock. The Honda lock cylinder slides in the round part of the fabricated bracket and is held in by a standard door lock clip. I ground a square notch in the round retaining tube on the bracket so this boss on the cylinder will slide into the notch and prevent the cylinder for rotating. Check out the pictures of original GTO's and you will see that some have the finger pull pointing down and other ones have them pointing rearward. So it's your choice where to put the notch.

I also filed that same rectangular boss on the cylinder down with a small round file next to the head. I then picked up a couple of black "O" rings at the local hardware store that would just slide over the cylinder. These O-rings act as a compression point to keep the clips tight, take up any irregularities in the door panel, seal the lock to door area and provides a finished look.

And last, you can use the stock door lock clips but they are very hard to install. I fabricated my own clips out of 1/8†piano wire. This allowed me to slide the clips down over the cylinder from the back side instead of trying to slip the clip in sideways.

When complete, it looks great and functions very well.