HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

QUESTION: The rocker skins were never installed on my Alpha 1. Rather than ordering those... can I just prep the areas and apply fiberglass matte direcly to the metal and blend them with the other panels?

Duke... It's just Photoshop. I was playing with simplification of the details and moderate updating. I might even take it a step or two further. I won't mod mine like this but I think it's interesting to explore possibilities. Hmm... maybe I need another GTO to fiddle with...

Yeah,.. but Smash found the link, not me... The really sweet gto is eight down on the member page, (shot in the gallery also) nice borranis etc. There's a nice daytona coupe with a Jag v12 as well.

As far as your rockers, I'd build a simple curved mold that matches your bodylines out of plywood and plex and then lay the glass up in that with some mold relaese and trim to fit.

"(rockers)... I'd build a simple curved mold that matches your bodylines out of plywood and plex and then lay the glass up in that with some mold relaese and trim to fit."

Thanks DUKE!!

Hey Mike, the Alpha 1 GTO kit never had rocker skins. They just blended the rocker into the glass. Check the old pictures of the original cars and you will see that it didn't look very good.

I bought my rocker skins from Jim Simpson and I think he charged me $75 for them (and probably made them for under $20).

You should check with Tom @ Scorpion Z Cars and see how much they are since he has Jim's old molds. They are very simple but not what you would expect. It's hard to describe but they are not rounded like you would think. I would say they look like a [ (channel) only leaned over so the top angle is less than 90 degrees and the bottom angle is greater than 90 degrees. Super simple to make if you knew the angles and width of the three sides.

QUESTION: The rocker skins were never installed on my Alpha 1. Rather than ordering those... can I just prep the areas and apply fiberglass matte direcly to the metal and blend them with the other panels?

My Velo Rossa kit does not come with rocker panels. I was planning on ordering a couple of sheet metal replacement rockers and welding them over the existing rockers to match up with the kits front fenders and rear quarters. Has anyone done it this way? I want to be able to remove the front fender (cheek panel); in other words I don't want to mould it in.

These are the sill (rocker) covers that came with my kit (Speed thinks it's mainly an Alpha 1 kit). As you can see they are not yet fitted and I must say that I have had trouble picturing in my mind how much they would change the profile of the rockers. My guess is that you fill the ends with body filler, and at a couple of points in between to add support, so that it basically creates the same profile but saves a few kilos of filler.

The best approach might be Zerrari's idea of fitting the front and rear panels and then make a sheetmetal cover to suit the dimensions you have, with the lip design that has been mentioned.

Change of topic, but very relevant to 250 GTO with twin REAR exhaust. Zerrari - I noticed elsewhere that you have, or intend to make, a front diff mount for twin exhaust. I am about to do the same. I have noticed this done elsewhere on HybridZ but it worried me that the two mounts had (apparently) been cut in a straight cross section in the middle and then welded. I think it might be a bit more structurally sound to stagger the section, the way A-pillars are cut and joined in a 'cut & shut". Any thoughts.

sill covers_thumb.jpg

Guest Sal Versaggi

I have one that I built in 1987 that I drive every once in a while. I use to take it to SPIR in the early '90's and teach in it. I love the car. It has a blueprinted '71 LT1 in it with a T-5 box. I''ve put about 40k miles on it over the years. I'm currently dropping in a R-230 and upgrading the brakes. The body was built by a guy in San Jose. He built 5 of them. Then body #2 was given to a friend of his that built beatiful aluminum body work. He was a KIWI with a first name of Robin. Body # 2 was then used as a buck to build 2 aluminum bodies 240z's. I then acuired body #2 from the guy that built the aluminum versions. I had asked him if he would build one for me and he said he did not want to build any more, so I talked him into selling me body # 2. I believe the molds were then sold to Alpha. I forget if McBurnie acuired them after Alpha or ??????

It was featured in a Kit car magazine in about 1991 +-.

The car is now sitting in my shop in Sonoma...

I think I may still have a note book on it when I originally built it.

Sal Versaggi

Guest Darth V8r
I hate to break it to you Darth...no can get.

There was no reference to them at his car domain page.

Are they self fab or no longer made or what?