HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

I've got an Alpha One kit and have no problems with front end lift. I had it up to about 110 mph yesterday, trying to work all the little bugs out after finally getting it up and running. I've got a mostly stock mechanical setup, original six cylinder and stock brakes. With the fiberglass body, these little boogers really haul heiny. By the way, I want to personally thank Chelle for showing me an easier way. She has the car that I'd originally started to build... stretched frame, V-12, etc. Near clone perfection of the original. But seeing all the work and time and money she has invested, I decided to just build a fun ride. Low budget... maybe even a rat rod style Ferrari or at least an "unrestored rode hard and put up wet" look. (Currently primer and yellow) I've had it out on the streets for about a week now, turns heads everywhere. It's loud, rude, no A/C or radio. Squeals the tires on take off if you're not careful and likes 80mph better than 55. I'd like to replace the original roll up windows with sliders like some of the original's had. Anyone ever done this or have any ideas?

Hi espeery,

I too have seen somewhere that the 250 Ferrari GTO color is Cina Red (or China red) but several of the books I have call it Rosso Corsa (racing red).

Glasurit, who currently supplies the Ferrari factory, has a vintage car program that will match any old color. I believe the North American distributor for Glasurit is BASF. So, find a local automotive paint store that carries BASF and you should be able to get what you need.

BTW, it is a matter of taste but I find the original GTO red a little too orange for my taste. Therefore, I painted my car Porsche Guards Red and like the way it turned out. Take a good look at the old Ferrari’s and you will see a vast variation in the red paint color, (or is it colour)?

236622_1_full.jpg

(or is it colour)?

Okay, I'll take the bait; it's colour - just ask any English speaking non-Americian!

In Keith Bluemel and Jess Pourret's book Ferrari 250 GTO they state that about two-thirds of the GTO's left the factory painted in Rosso Cina but many were painted in team colours before they raced. The other third were non-red colours (white, green, blue, etc) and some of these are now red.

According to Europarts, up until 1980 the paint used by Ferrari was acrylic produced by Glidden Salchi of Milan, comprising 11 solid colours and 10 two-pack metallic finishes. From 1980 the paint manufacturer was Glasurit, and the range of colours available changed over the production period of the cars.

Here is the Europarts listing.

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/userImages/ebayShop/PaintCode.htm

Glasurit do not list the colour on their website.

http://www.glasurit.com/COLOR/new-color-online/m1frameset.php?language=1

Here is a sample of the stickers currently available on the Europarts site. You can buy a Glidden Salchi sticker and stamp Rosso Cina on it.

075%20Paint%20Code%20Sticker_small.jpg 132%20Paint%20Code%20Sticker%20(salchi)_small.jpg

Also to quote Mr Bluemel: "Principally, Scaglietti-built cars were delivered with paint manufactured by Glidden & Salchi, whereas those built by Pininfarina had paint manufactured by PPG or Duco, the latter only being in solid colours." He goes on to say that the customer could get whatever that wanted, though, so don't expect any consistency.

Finally, I've read elsewhere that Porsche Guard Red is the way to go, so Speedracer is spot on even if he spells funny.

As noted on the web ref above: Scaglietti-built cars (including many early 60's gts) were painted with product manufactured by Glidden Salchi.

(The Pininfarina builds used paint manufactured by either PPG or Duco and Duco didn't manufature any metalic paints.)

The 250 GTO was manufactured by Scaglietti so it stands to bear that the

Rosso Cina (China Red) refered to under the PPG Italver list is different somehow.

23 of the original ˜39 cars came from the factory painted "Rosso Cina" (China Red)

32* 250 GTOs with the series 1 body (All kits are based on this body style)

3 330 GTOs with the series 1 body

3 250 GTOs with the series 2 body

1 250 GTO with LMB bodywork

*Not counted as part of the 32 is s/n 2643 GT, the GTO prototype built by Pininfarina on a 250 GT SWB chassis.

(source (web-cars.com)

The picture shows a series two car next to a series one.

Here is a potential source:

http://www.racecarnewmedia.com/paulbaber/automobiliadetail.asp?ID=164

I've also heard that the Rosos Cina paint used on the 1962 ferrari is a fiat color. However most fiat colors we're PPG Italver so this again this contradicts the the Glidden Salchi - scaglietti information...and so it goes...

Any way, these are the colors I would look at...

Rosso cina Italver A20456S paint. (Ferrari)

Rosso Farina '71290 (Fiat)

Rosso Cardinale KF-185504 '62-68 71456 (Fiat)

Rosso Cina "duce" D812-69484 (Ferrari post 69)

I'm going to paint mine silver or black so I haven't gone to the next level of research on the red color

Good Luck.

DSC_3482_a_s_thumb.jpg

Guys,

Are any of these Alpha One bodies still available? I fell in love with this body kit when I first saw in in Huntington Beach, CA at their facilities in the late '70s. I still have copies of the old car mags where it was featured - always wanted to do that to one of my Zs.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

You are in LA? I live in Torrance and I am building a Ferrari GTO replica right now. I was at the LA Auto show yesterday and I ran into Tom McBurnie from Thunder Ranch, http://www.thunderranch.com. He is selling his kit with all the body panels and lights for around $3000. He is located in San Diego. I thought that was a pretty good deal!

I was talking to him and he said that his kit was an improvement from the Alpha 1 kit and that in the 80's Ferrari sued he and Joe. Joe was sued for the GTO and Tom was sued for a different kit.

I guess the laws have since changed and Tom is still able to sell his GTO kit

-Eric

• 2 weeks later...
You guys will be all over this, but haven't seen a post.

ebay listed Alpha 1 kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/280z-240z-260z-ferrari-gto-kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36475QQihZ013QQitemZ230198962067QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Pick-up Pittsfield MA

looks like a good find.. and it put a smile on my face seeing the pic of a finished car that he used.. :)

Stagger_Lee- you're welcome... an thanx for the kind words.. I'm working on a few things on the car over the winter to give the car a little more "oomph" and agree, sliding windows are one of our upcoming projects as well

Chelle

I have a reasonably rot free 240Z and some Alpha1 panels here in the UK. Part one of the plan follows what many of you have already done in replicating the 250GTO in this way and I thank you all for the help I have found from your past posts. First question:- I believe the proportions of the 250 are better represented if the z is lengthened between the front wheels and the windscreen. I think someone told me it needs to be 3 inches longer. Am I right in thinking one or more of you has done this? Any advice on getting the proportions right would be appreciated because part 2 of the grand plan is to take new moulds from the finished body. Regards John

jn6 - chelle, who posted right above your comment on this thread, has one of the most awesome Z based Ferrari GTO replicas around. It has a stretched wheelbase with a BMW V12 installed. Contact her as I am sure she can help you.

A little searching will turn up some of the info and pictures of her car.

Welcome to the group SuperDan.

The information available on this website and the help you will receive from other members is invaluable. There is no way I would want to attempt my project without this resource.

Please keep us updated on your project and post photos of your progress whenever you can.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your build.

Welcome, Dan. Chelle, or anyone else with a trunk kit, could you be so kind as to post the measurements of the deck lid and how wide the panel is under the rear window? (The narrow panel between the deck lid and rear window.) Also, the size of the rear window. My Alpha One kit is going under the knife this weekend, and taking Chelle's advice, I'm going to make one from scratch. I should say "we". I have a buddy with Mad Metal Skillz. The only kit I've been able to locate is in England and with the decline of the dollar, it would cost around $2300. I can post pic's if anyone else is interested in how we do it. (if it comes out as planned. If not, I'll just buy another hatchback lid and pretend I never posted this.) We plan on using the lower half of the original hatch, if it's wide enough, as the panel between the window and deck lid. For the rear window, I'm thinking of just sectioning out ?? inches, welding it back together and using the original glass cut down to size. That way I'll be able to retain the orignal chrome mouldings. Any suggestions before I fire up the torch?

Thanx for the reference Speedracer :)

JM6, you need to add close to 4.5" to make the wheelbase accurate and while that doesn't bring the proportions exactly where they are on the originals it does make a huge difference. To be even more exact you could take 3" out of the roof and doors and add 7.5" in between the doors and the front wheels, and change the angle of the windshield. Most people wouldn't want to try that though.. adding 4.5"" to the front framerails behind the wheels makes a big difference.

Stagger_Lee - our window and trunk lid are about 41 3/8th" wide. From front to back the window is 23.5" long, the divider is 2.75" from the window to the trunk and the trunk lid is about 16" to the spoiler.

Personally I wouldn't go with the stock glass as by doing that you're denying yourself a lot of rearward visibility. By having the glass or lexan go all the way to the edges of where the hatchback had gone you gain about 6" of width to the rear window.. and rearward visibility is limited in these cars..

Hope this helps, hybridz is blocked at my office so I don't get on as much anymore..

Chelle