HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

Congratulations to all, 500 posts on this thread. Rather fitting that either the prince or princess of replicas, 'Speedracer' or 'chelle' reach that milestone. Thanks 'Duke' for initiating the thread. Interesting to note the thread on partners-family etc of Hydrid Z members has around half the number of posts – I’ll leave you to draw your own conclusions on that!

I’ve been fitting the running gear during the last six months so I’ve not had too many question related to the 250 GTO but the advice in the past has been invaluable.

The 50th anniversary of the 250 GTO will be in 2012. It’s some way off I appreciate but I wondered if replica owners couldn’t at least start thinking of getting together then. A couple of suggestions might be a Mille Miglia Tour package with a trip to Modena, the Goodwood Festival of Speed or perhaps a less expensive option (for some) of the Knotts Berry Farm Show. Knotts would have the added benefit of having actual replicas there - it might motivate some to hang on to their cars a little longer or for others to complete their builds by a set date. Any initial interest?

http://www.classiccartoursinternational.co.uk/tours/italy/mml/

http://www.goodwood.co.uk/site/content/festivalofspeed/

A gathering by 2012, eh? Mine may be finished by then. ; ). This forum has been invaluable for me. Chelle has, whether she realizes it or not, influenced a LOT of the things I've done to my Alpha kit. Con Brio, OZ, ... all of you guys, with your bits of wisdom, have been a great help. Thanks

Trying a exhaust heat shield (Thermo-tec) on my tail pipes. The pipes run directly under the tank and I'm looking for a way to keep the heat out of the fuel. These claim to reflect 95% of the heat. Once installed they look kinda cool too. I used header wraps and was happy with the results. Although they are suprisingly susceptible to damage.

the-11630_w_m_thumb.jpg

893-11003_thumb.jpg

I have moulds (Oz spelling) for the covers and I have a template for the trims. I had several attempts to make the rounded trims and found it just too difficult but the flat trims are no problem. You can make them either in steel and have them plated or in aluminium (Oz spelling) and polish them.

I've research the trims fairly thoroughly and I don't think there is a 'correct' style. The rounded style is used on most road 250 models and other Ferrari of the period but many of the restored 250 GTOs have the flat style.

Headlight cover moulds_thumb.JPG

Headlightcover trims_thumb.JPG

headlight covers trial 2_thumb.jpg

Headlight trim flat_thumb.jpg

Headlight trim rounded_thumb.jpg

Any of you delete the drip rail from the front windshield? It would require re-welding the entire thing. I was thinking of doing this on my VR project.

By the way, this is my ride. As you can see, I am not going for authentic, since the VR isn't. I'm going for more of a hot rod. The photo is form Xmas 2004. Sorry to say that not much has changed since then, but I am committed to getting it done. When I finished the drivetrain, there were only 2 other LS1 conversions on this board. Anyone else have an LS motor in their GTO?

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=1198

Any of you delete the drip rail from the front windshield? It would require re-welding the entire thing. I was thinking of doing this on my VR project.

By the way, this is my ride. As you can see, I am not going for authentic, since the VR isn't. I'm going for more of a hot rod. The photo is form Xmas 2004. Sorry to say that not much has changed since then, but I am committed to getting it done. When I finished the drivetrain, there were only 2 other LS1 conversions on this board. Anyone else have an LS motor in their GTO?

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=1198

Where have you been!???

The last post I remember reading from you was after you got the LS1 installed and running and were getting ready to start on the body (how long ago was that?). Glad to see you are back, I was beginning to worry that you'd pulled a James Dean in your VR or something!

I'm about at the same point with my body work as you so we may be able to help each other out with info.

I thought about cutting the drip rails (there is plenty of info on HybridZ about this) but after seeing a few completed ones I decided the work involved did not justify the result.

I've seen one other LS1 VR post here but there may be more.

I have moulds (Oz spelling) for the covers and I have a template for the trims. I had several attempts to make the rounded trims and found it just too difficult but the flat trims are no problem. You can make them either in steel and have them plated or in aluminium (Oz spelling) and polish them.

I've research the trims fairly thoroughly and I don't think there is a 'correct' style. The rounded style is used on most road 250 models and other Ferrari of the period but many of the restored 250 GTOs have the flat style.

Boy from Oz; are you prepared to sell me a pair of the perspex covers and trim rings and ship to the UK? I should be most grateful if you could.

Con Brio,

Can you do a couple of close up shots of you bonnet latches, I am still struggling with this issue. Hi res if possible. Thanks in advance.

mudjr

Hey mudjr...

Will do!! Not back in Regina til next week though.

The engine should be back from the machine shop by then.

Regards

Con Brio, we will want a few items as well :) please let me know when you are ready to take orders.

Sorry to those who were looking for me - I left Northrop Grumman and took some contract work that kept me away a bit.

and wow - 500 posts.. :) Glad Speed posted #500, his pics inspired me to clean up ours.. I still wish our rear tires filled the wheel opening as nicely as his..

Stagger Lee, nice of you to say thanks for that, it feels nice to know I'm not a bad influence ;)

Chelle

I got ahold of a brilliant 78 Z that has already been started. It's a nearly rust-free chassis with what I suppose is a Alpha kit. Pictures can be found here. Feel free to have a look around while you're there.

First up is getting my 77 on the road; it is a very rusty car that I have swapped a turbo L28 into and have been using for the drivetrain proving grounds. It's currently getting Magasquirt installed with EDIS ignition. Once the car's on the road and tuned it will be driven regularly. Following that the plan is to begin work on a multiport CNG (compressed Natural Gas) fuel system. If I decide I like it, the motor will be built for CNG-only use. In the meantime I will begin teardown of the 78 and start restoring it. Once the body's ready, I will swap all of the drivetrain and electricals over to the 78. I expect it to take awhile, but the idea of a high horesepower GTO-bodied daily driver fueled by 120 octane CNG at $.91 per gallon (equivalent) should keep me working at a reasonable pace for awhile.:-D

As you will see in the pics on the Photobucket site, I took some measure ment photos. If anyone can use them to help identify the kit it would be greatly appreciated!

Looking forward to all of the work to come!

-Highly Caffeinated

(Todd IRL)

I've got the exhaust finished. Decided to pull the tail pipes in a little closer together. And have them follow the contour of the body. Went with Borla dual tips that have an angled cut. Rather than the tips that run straight out. Was looking for a way to gain more clearance. I placed the old exhaust pipes under the car to give an idea of the changes.

8553_thumb.attach