HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

Michael - You need to bear in mind your exhaust configuration and any ground clearance issues that will arise if you lower the vehicle. Remember Zerrari has a different fuel tank with the exhaust tucked up on either side. Unless you are going that route I would suggest you finish the car and see how it looks settled with all the weight in it, then calculate how much clearance you have and how much you can lower it. I agree with Zerrari that 15" rims and high aspect ratio tyres can be part of the final equation.

Check the 'Exhaust' forum for a litany of exhaust clearance problems.

I agree with Zerrari that 15" rims and high aspect ratio tyres can be part of the final equation.

Actually, the tires in the pictures are 15". The rears are 295/50s and the fronts are 265/60s. I'm going to replace them with a set of vintage racing wheels I already have that are 14". I plan to use high aspect ratio tires with those.

9569_thumb.attach

Hi again Michael,

Is the engine in your car? What engine and exhaust system are you running/plan to run?

Yes, everything that's going to be in it except gas and people is in it right now, so the weight isn't going to change much.

It's a SBC in the Scarab position with headers and a single 2" or so exhaust. I looked under the car and can see that I'll need to have the whole exhaust raised up. There's a 2" gap between it and the car from the engine bay to the back.

My only plan for the exhaust is to have it split into a dual diffuser at the far rear.

Con Brio,

Can you do a couple of close up shots of you bonnet latches, I am still struggling with this issue. Hi res if possible. Thanks in advance.

mudjr

Hey mudjr,

I know that I've already sent these to you but thought I'd post so everyone could have a look. Regards.

08 011_thumb.jpg

08 012_thumb.jpg

08 015_thumb.jpg

08 016_thumb.jpg

Here are some pics of my exhaust. I ran long tube headers, with heat wraps, and used stainless 'V-band' clamps to attach onto an "X" pipe. Then 2 1/2" pipe through 18" round Magnaflow stainless mufflers out into 3" Borla split tips. I wrapped the pipe that runs under the fuel tank with a heat shield to keep the temp of the fuel as low as possible. I know this should probably be posted under the 'exhaust' forum but thought the GTO guys would appreciate it here. Regards.

08 025_thumb.jpg

08 026_thumb.jpg

08 023_thumb.jpg

08 019_thumb.jpg

08 018_thumb.jpg

Anyone that's put the Vello Rosa on a 280, how did you extend the fuel filler pipe? The manual recommends welding a piece of tailpipe in as the extension. Is there a way do do it with rubber hose and clamps like for the 240? I guess I don't trust that I'll weld the right length piece in and would have to redo. Seems like it would have to be a fairly exact fit.

Thanks

Michael

Anyone that's put the Vello Rosa on a 280, how did you extend the fuel filler pipe? The manual recommends welding a piece of tailpipe in as the extension. Is there a way do do it with rubber hose and clamps like for the 240? I guess I don't trust that I'll weld the right length piece in and would have to redo. Seems like it would have to be a fairly exact fit.

Thanks

Michael

I fabbed an extension from a cardboard tube to make sure everything fit properly. Then I cut the metal pipe to the same dimensions as the tube and welded it on.

I am using a Jaguar gas cap and an RX7 fuel tank and had to make a filler tube with a pretty funky bend in it. This method worked fine for this so it should be a breeze to make a basic extension.

I used a rubber hose. I didn't want to weld with fuel in the tank. I had the cap and short metal inlet from the Trans Am that I used as a donor for the LS1. It has a rubber hose on it. I just cut it to length, threw a hose clamp on it, and brought it up to the flat near the trunk. I liked that look better. (See pic) So, I have a Flip open Le Mans style cover over a Trans Am/ Camaro filler, and that maintains my tank pressure for the LS1. I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing in the original position without relocating lilke I did.

sVR_thumb.jpg

looks great ConBrio!

I'm curious about the wrapping on the exhaust. I just used header wrap close to the rear and fuel pump however over the winter I hope to redo everything under the car. The header wrap does seem to do the job keeping the heat back

Maichor, what size rear tires are those? they look to really fill out the rear fenders!

Sorry

I don't post much anymore, no time with the work I'm doing these days :(

looks great ConBrio!

I'm curious about the wrapping on the exhaust. I just used header wrap close to the rear and fuel pump however over the winter I hope to redo everything under the car. The header wrap does seem to do the job keeping the heat back

Thanks Chelle, and everyone else, for the positive feedback. The decision to go with the exhaust blanket over the header wrap was based primarily on function and a little on style. 1)The blanket, according to manufacturers specs, reflects 90% of the heat versus 70% from the wraps. 2)The blanket, because of it's design, won't adversely affect the life of the exhaust pipe. 3)Ease of installation and removal if required. 4)The blanket rides on top of the exhaust pipe, not around it, so a few ground scrapes can be tolerated with little or no damage. 5)And finally, I like the way it looks.

Regards

I have done very little on the car over our winter (yes, we do have one) and what I have been doing is mostly chassis and drivetrain work. However, I also did do some ‘bling’ activity on the speedo and tacho and thought others might be interested.

I am keen to have it looking like a genuine 250GTO as far as that is possible and practical. Some time ago I picked up the Veglia gauges with Italian script - benzina, oilo, etc - but could not find a tacho (the GTOs have no speedo). I thought through a few options. While there are many alternative tachos available the speedo was more of a problem. I have an electronic speedo output from my t56 gearbox and in most cases it is difficult to find an electronic signal speedo that has an analogue odometer. To keep the GTO look I basically resigned myself to fitting an expensive mechanical output to the t56.

To cut a very long story short I think I have come up with a viable solution. The Jaguar XJ6-12 models have a great 1960s style instrument setup. Independent 100mm (4â€) speedo and tacho and four 50mm (2â€) gauges for fuel, oil pressure, etc (check eBay for images). What makes the speedo and tacho so suitable is the ease with which you can change the face to any style you like, e.g. Veglia. Even better from my perspective is that the later XJ12s have a electronic speedo with the analogue odometer.

The bezels are secured by a few tabs and are not rolled over the full diameter so they are easy to remove. The faces are secured with a couple of screws and are easily detachable. I simply scanned the original faces and then used MS Word to create alternative faces. I plan to have the new faces printed on photographic paper and attach them to new sheet metal dials which I will make by using the originals as templates. The originals have some curves which would make it difficult to attach the printed faces evenly.

Nothing is fitted as yet as I am in discussions with John Washington about a RHD Simpson dash.

Con Biro - great work. Your 2.5 years for a rebuild makes my 6 year schedule for a complete built look about right.

Oh, nearly forgot. I found that the rear reflectors for Series I XJ6 Jag are a near perfect match for the GTO - that's where I picked up the link to the Jag instruments.

Speedo face swap 1_thumb.jpg

Speedo face swap 2_thumb.jpg

Speedo face swap 3_thumb.jpg

Speedo face swap 4_thumb.jpg

Speedo face swap 5_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

*edit* - nvm, Oz...I noticed you already added the horse and type to your gauge faces...I was offering my graphic services. :P

But, if any of the rest of the GTO owners can get your gauge faces out and want to scan/email them to me, I can redesign them and send them back for you to have printed. Any color or texture.

Or at least tell me what manufacturer, model, and size you've got and I'll see if I can find them on the 'net. :)