HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

What type outside mirror did you use?

Seeing over the rear fenders is tough!!

I used Late 60's - 70's Corvette Mirrors, without logo.

They stand up the Highest of any mirror I'ld seen.

Clean single post mount, also.

Note: SAME mirror for many models, yet price's differ

with rarity !?!?!?!?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today, January 20th 2010, the remaining parts arrived for my GTO body kit from Thunder Ranch. Good, right? Yes and no. The quality of the fiberglass body panels is decent, and will work up nicely for paint, however the company that produced it has no business being in business.

I ordered the full kit with optional headlight covers, aluminum grille ring, and door buttons back in mid April of 2009. The terms of the contract sent to me were half the money down up front, and the remaining balance including shipping due upon completion of the kit. That sounded reasonable considering I had only read and heard good things about Thunder Ranch. I wasn't afraid to send a $2000 check with nothing more than the reassurance of past performance.

I was excited when I got a phone call in the second week of May 2009 from the secretary at Thunder Ranch claiming my parts were done and ready to ship. She gave me the total balance due with shipping and said as soon as they were paid the parts could ship. Excellent I thought, and had the check in the mail by the end of the day. The check was cashed in the middle of May, and I was waiting for some notice that my parts were on the way. After nearly four weeks of nothing, I called Thunder Ranch and talked to a different person and was told my fiberglass parts still had to be laid up.

Red flag if there ever was one. I was specifically told in May that the parts were done and ready to ship, now it was a completely different story, and they had all my $4500 and I had nothing but a lie. This had me worried to no end, and being in Wisconsin it's not as though I could do much. I spoke to Tom McBurnie himself, and after he seemed to show genuine interest in my project and what I was going to be doing, gave me his word he would finish up the parts asap and get them shipped out.

After another few weeks and no word I called again. The parts were done and all they needed to do was build a crate. Tom was going to get right on that. More time passed by, and then finally I recieved a phone call with a tracking number for a freight company with my parts.

20134_261299481503_698526503_3777552_3550315_n.jpg

The crate showed up on the 23rd of July 2009. Two months and eight days after Thunder Ranch was paid in full for supposedly built parts. Every major part was there, except the lights, headlight covers, grille ring, and door buttons. All of the expensive little things that are important to the cars look. I called and was told those parts would be shipped by UPS separately and very soon.

To make a long story short, I got the lights, headlight covers, and grille ring in the first week of November 2009. It only took perhaps twenty long distance calls to the jokers in California. And I still didn't have my door buttons. More calls, more bullshit. I can't even remember how many times I was told the parts were going to be shipped in a day or two. The thought of a friendly visit to California was becoming a very serious possibility.

And then finally, after calling twice that week I got a call that the door buttons were done and going to be shipped out. I didn't believe it, but the parts showed up today the 20th of January 2010.

All I can say is a company is only as good as its service. The quality of the fibeglass was decent, but that is beside the point. Had I known things would go like this, I would have kept my parts 260z and made that into a buck to mold my own fibeglass GTO body. I wouldn't recommend anyone waste their time with Thunder Ranch, there's definitely some problems with that company to put it lightly.

I'll get back on track, but so far these dealings have taken all the fun out of the project.

The last 9 months have been a real ruff times at Thunderranch. They had to move to a new building after 17 years in the old location. Not making excuses for Tom as I tend to think he gets in over his head sometimes. The good news is that he finally hired a shop supervisor named Jay, a British chap who seems to have things going in the right direction. Jay has cracked the whip and things are getting done. I do not think Tom did his reputation right by not being truthful. He should not have requested final payment until he had everything you ordered. He is not a bad guy, just a guy trying to make ends meet and keep his doors open. Sorry to hear about your experience, I really wish it would have gone better for you.

....except it does sound like excuses.

Tom McBurnie knows better than anyone the reputation Kits have in the world.

His name associated with a design is golden.

Now this taints him as a business man!

I have followed the industry and dreamed of various cars

for over 30 years.....the caveat was always Buyer Beware. You could almost expect 100% of the time to be screwed.

The horror stories didn't seem to stem the interest in the industry.......I know my experience was the same.....lots of promises that were BS.

Tiger Woods and Tom McBurnie....fallen heros?

Both are screwing a beauty.

Lets hope Mr.McBurnie recovers, I certainly wish him the best, but he did his industry No Favors.

....except it does sound like excuses.

Tom McBurnie knows better than anyone the reputation Kits have in the world.

His name associated with a design is golden.

Now this taints him as a business man!

I have followed the industry and dreamed of various cars

for over 30 years.....the caveat was always Buyer Beware. You could almost expect 100% of the time to be screwed.

The horror stories didn't seem to stem the interest in the industry.......I know my experience was the same.....lots of promises that were BS.

Tiger Woods and Tom McBurnie....fallen heros?

Both are screwing a beauty.

Lets hope Mr.McBurnie recovers, I certainly wish him the best, but he did his industry No Favors.

I really think that if Tom allows Jay to execute his duties as Jay envisions them; Tom will recover. The new building is a great set-up that I think will lead to efficient processing of orders. Tom is a real great car guy but maybe not the best businessman, he also a very good craftsman, he takes a lot of pride in his products. I believe he will recover his reputation a lot quicker than Tiger.

• 5 months later...

I haven't posted here in a very long time due to family, personal and financial issues... and I've been down about my project because I was ripped off $4500 in parts and labor so I've just been laying low with the car just sitting in the garage.

HONDA DOOR BUTTONS: To anyone interested I have four or five sets but they need to be cleaned up and re-chromed. I'll have this done sometime in the next few weeks and will offer the spare sets for sale in pairs. I'll post again with prices once they're reconditioned. Re-keying will be up to the buyer as you'll most likely want them keyed to match your ingition and hatch (or trunk).

Edited by ZZZeee

Hi everyone,I'm considering going with a more modern look and putting on a cap like the ones pictured. I've also thought about just taking the easy way out and using the fiberglass door that John Washington includes with the Velo Rossa. It would be great if everyone would post a close up picture of their gas cap along with a 3/4 rear view of the car with the gas cap for comparison.Ciao for now,Michael

Hey Michael, here's my current plan for the fuel door. It's from a 2004 Mitzubishi Eclipse. The contour is very close to the that of the VR at the precut hole. $35 including shipping on ebay. It'll probably get a chrome finish to match the RX7 hinges.

Did you bond the rear tub yet? How did it go?

Wes

post-4015-056677700 1277349138_thumb.jpg

post-4015-098211900 1277349193_thumb.jpg

post-4015-007874400 1277349305_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fauxre

CAR COVER: I saw a couple of references to car covers for the 250 GTO kit but has anyone actually ordered one for the hardtop? If so, how well does it fit? Are the construction and material quality up to par? How much did it cost and where did you get it? BTW, I have the old Alpha 1 built by Joe Alphabet.

I haven't posted here in a very long time due to family, personal and financial issues... and I've been down about my project because I was ripped off $4500 in parts and labor so I've just been laying low with the car just sitting in the garage.

HONDA DOOR BUTTONS: To anyone interested I have four or five sets but they need to be cleaned up and re-chromed. I'll have this done sometime in the next few weeks and will offer the spare sets for sale in pairs. I'll post again with prices once they're reconditioned. Re-keying will be up to the buyer as you'll most likely want them keyed to match your ingition and hatch (or trunk).

Hey ZZZeee,

I'll take a set off you.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hey ZZZeee,

I'll take a set off you.

Cheers

It'll be a few weeks before they're ready because I'm short on cash but I'll post pics and final prices when they're finished. I'm not making any profit from these, BTW. I just want my actual cost of purchase and re-chroming.

• 5 weeks later...

ZZZeee:

Put me down for a set, too please. That is, if you are happy to mail to Australia?

Cheers,

Wal F

It'll be a few weeks before they're ready because I'm short on cash but I'll post pics and final prices when they're finished. I'm not making any profit from these, BTW. I just want my actual cost of purchase and re-chroming.

Hi guys!

My name is Eddy, but most of my friends call me Chuck. I'm an 18 year old college student out of Florida International University in Miami.

but this isnt my autobiography, so I'll jump right into it:

This last Wednesday I caught a piece of Vanilla Sky while my sister was watching it, and thought to myself, holy hell i want that car...

then I found out there's only 36 in the world, and theyre about 38 million a piece. I don't have to tell you that I dont have that kinda money.

So I immediatelly considered a kit kar, only problem is, I've never built one. My dad is one of those "purists" who doesnt beleive in replicas, and my mom tends to fall into that category too. I originally wanted to do a Shelby 427 Kit, but got talked out of it by my mechanic. Then when I ran across the 250 GTO I decided I was gunna do it. I've got some experience with cars, having (partially) restored a 1931 Ford Model A Sport Coupe with my dad, but I'm not sure how much more mechanical know-how I need for this kit. Also there's the obvious problem of money strappped college kid.

I dont plan on replicating it perfectly, lemme just state that right away. I want the exterior to look just like the original 250 GTO, but obviously, thats not gunna happen, so as close as I can get it. I do like the 240, 260, and 280z dashes, so I dunno if I wanna change that, but I also really like the Ferrari one that I keep seeing, so I think I might just do that. Obviously I want as-close-as-I-can-get-it-without-starving-for-a-month parts, such as the steering wheel, shifter knob, and badges, but theres a few things I want mine to have, like a touchscreen dash with radio, GPS, and such, and a keyless entry and ignition system.

I guess what im really looking for are opinions. I dont have the car at all yet, in fact, gotta figure out how I'm gunna get the money for it, but the more I think about this project the more I want to do it. I'm hoping to have it done a year from now, seeing as I do get a lot of free time.

So i guess...help?

what kind of z should i get?

where can i get a kit? (ive tried looking all over the place, found thunder ranch, but read the reply a couple posts up and got scared :()

what are some common z to 250 GTO problems? (common z problems for that matter)

how realistic is my time frame?

how much money am I looking at? (I'd like to add in that I'm a sticklar for details...which is good...and bad)

should I attempt to do it myself, or wait longer save up and pay someone?

do I sound nuts?

and any other general feedback you guys can give me

thanks in advance, I know its a long post and some of the questions are part of this thread, but the general idea is, so that's why i put it here.

any help is HIGHLY appreciated

thanks again everyone!

-Chuck

Email me here

"You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do"

-Henry Ford

what kind of z should i get? One with minimal rust.

where can i get a kit? (ive tried looking all over the place, found thunder ranch, but read the reply a couple posts up and got scared :() If I were you I wouldn't get a kit, I would try to find a car that is finished or near finished. There were some very cheap cars going over the last 12-18 months. To build one from scratch yourself will cost over $20,000 if you want to make it anywhere half decent. I've spent over 4 years and $20k on mine and it's still on the rotisserie. If you don't have a full workshop and a total commitment it's a very tough challenge. I think you are far better off getting a completed car and then detailing it how you want it to look - there is plenty of work in just doing that.

what are some common z to 250 GTO problems? (common z problems for that matter)Rust and, time and money - technically it's pretty straightforward.

how realistic is my time frame? Too many variables for anyone to advise.

how much money am I looking at? (I'd like to add in that I'm a sticklar for details...which is good...and bad)see above.

should I attempt to do it myself, or wait longer save up and pay someone? Your call but if you've got to ask then I think you have a major problem.

do I sound nuts? Yes

and any other general feedback you guys can give me. Ask you dad to sit down with you and do a time/cost analysis over the next few months and then see where you want to go.

Good luck and I hope you make the right decisions.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a suspension question. I know I could post this in the suspension forum, but I want to hear specifically from the other GTO owners about their experience from moving to coilovers in the front and using a camber plate. For our GTO kits we have to lower the front 2-3 inches to get the right look. I am going to go the coilover route. The only question I have is what camber plate kit to use.

My main consideration is ride quality, noise, and clunks.

The Z store sells this kit that replaces the stock rubber mount with polyurethane. http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PSDC15/23-4188 post-895-088954500 1283977785_thumb.jpg

Beta Motorsports has this one with a mono-ball bearing. It's mounted metal on metal. http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PSDC15/23-4188 post-895-044753800 1283977794_thumb.jpg

Arizona Z car and ground control have other metal to metal mounts. post-895-057084100 1283977805_thumb.jpg

And of course I could use the original rubber mount, but would have limited camber adjustment. Not good with that much lowering.

What have other GTO owners done and how do you like it? IF you used the solid mount, does the car rattle or clunk over potholes?

Thanks,

Michael

HONDA DOOR BUTTONS: 78Z/250GTO / Con Brio / others...

Money has been very tight lately so it'll be a few more weeks before I can have the these done. It's not an cheap job. Once these are completed I'll post photos of pairs to select from... but they should all look the same... like brand new. I'll also post a receipt of the fees. All I want is my actuall costs back. BTW, if anyone knows where to buy new replacement seals please let me know and I'll include them with each set. I paid $20 per set a couple of years ago for these... plus the refinishing/re-chroming costs and the new seals. Again... all receipts posted for review.

Re-keying is up to the new owners so they can have them keyed to match their ignition.

Sorry this is taking so long... just hard financial times right now.

HONDA DOOR BUTTONS: 78Z/250GTO / Con Brio / others...

Money has been very tight lately so it'll be a few more weeks before I can have the these done. It's not an cheap job. Once these are completed I'll post photos of pairs to select from... but they should all look the same... like brand new. I'll also post a receipt of the fees. All I want is my actuall costs back. BTW, if anyone knows where to buy new replacement seals please let me know and I'll include them with each set. I paid $20 per set a couple of years ago for these... plus the refinishing/re-chroming costs and the new seals. Again... all receipts posted for review.

Re-keying is up to the new owners so they can have them keyed to match their ignition.

Sorry this is taking so long... just hard financial times right now.