HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

• 2 weeks later...

The Monterey news gets even better. I've now learnt that as well as the 20+ GTOs at Pebble Beach there is a 250GT only race at Laguna Seca with 11 starters and most are GTOs. I'm also spending a few days with Speedracer. The trip will be GTO heaven.

The doors are gradually coming together. I've popped the front section 50mm out from the 'A' pillar and drawn a line from the front guard to the rear arch - that will be the new body line. I've chopped the door top and bottom so it is now 100mm shorter in height and I've made up a sample of the new sill (rocker) section.

post-1266-029778400 1312752929_thumb.jpg

post-1266-067617000 1312752950_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boy from Oz

Wow, looks great!

I should be working on the red car but just have too many projects going at the moment.. we actually have been thinking about selling it to fund some of the others and free up our limited space..

Are you going to be exploring anyplace else while in the USA?

If you make it to Chicago you're welcome to stop in, take a drive or something :)

If you make it to Chicago you're welcome to stop in, take a drive or something :)

Funny that you should mention Chicago because to get to Speedracer's home in Tennessee the plane from San Francisco goes via O'Hare but unfortunately I have only one hour between flights. I wish you had made contact earlier and I would have arranged half a day to meet with you.

There certainly are some weird flight paths in the US as the flight from Tennessee to San Francisco goes via Miami - figure that one out! I'm spending the weekend prior with Speedracer then the whole of Auto Week in Monterey.

Too much GTO is never enough.

Funny that you should mention Chicago because to get to Speedracer's home in Tennessee the plane from San Francisco goes via O'Hare but unfortunately I have only one hour between flights. I wish you had made contact earlier and I would have arranged half a day to meet with you.

There certainly are some weird flight paths in the US as the flight from Tennessee to San Francisco goes via Miami - figure that one out! I'm spending the weekend prior with Speedracer then the whole of Auto Week in Monterey.

Too much GTO is never enough.

Well shoot :( One hour wouldn't give the time to get out of security then back through.. even if I drove to Ohare and met you in the parking garage there's not much chance to get back in through security... have a safe flight!!

Are you still doing Goodwood on this trip?

Edited by chelle

I've been playing with paint schemes for my my Velo Rossa while I'm waiting for parts. I posted a few pics in my build thread, but it was suggested that I might want to post here as well. So, here are a few thoughts for a custom paint job... from mild... to wild.

post-4015-058429000 1313464192_thumb.jpg

post-4015-089576800 1313464906_thumb.jpg

post-4015-076672000 1313464535_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fabulous week visiting Speedracer and at Monterey.

If you haven't seen SpeedRacer's car in the flesh then I can tell you the photos do not do it justice, it is not just a GTO kit car but a beautifully finished show car. And yes, I got to drive it.

post-1266-065824800 1314526041_thumb.jpg

post-1266-022192200 1314526079_thumb.jpg

post-1266-011579200 1314526116_thumb.jpg

post-1266-001779200 1314526167_thumb.jpg

post-1266-026236600 1314526369_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boy from Oz

Fabulous week visiting Speedracer and at Monterey.

If you haven't seen SpeedRacer's car in the flesh then I can tell you the photos do not do it justice, it is not just a GTO kit car but a beautifully finished show car. And yes, I got to drive it.

Glad you got to make the trip and had such a great time :)

• 4 weeks later...

Glad you had a good time in Calif. and Tenn. B)

Resurrecting one of your old posts to ask: Are you still using the Arizona Z rear brakes? I am in the chicken and egg situation with mine. I now have the Modern Motorsport rear brake kit using the 240SX calipers. I plan to get Dayton wire wheels like you, but can't measure as the brake set up is not installed. I don't want to install them yet, since the 14 inch wheels I have now won't fit after (making it a little hard to drive). I've downloaded the Dayton template from another of your posts, but there is a lot of info to fill in. Did you go through the exercise before changing the rear brakes?

CP

CP - I've moved your post here.

I would suggest you borrow some 15" rims and try insitu - any will do, they don't have to be Daytons. My Willwoods are back in their box and tucked behind the lounge so I'm sorry I can't help. Back at post #614 I gave some details of the Daytons I purchased.

Wheels are a bit of a compromise as you will see. I went with 16" rims because I have a special parking brake arrangement for the Willwwods, I thought 16" wheels would make the car look even dumpier (too short a wheelbase) than it already is, but what I've learnt is that 16" rims and high aspect ratio tyres gives the car a large amount of ground clearance. With the clearance I have been able to lower the car 90mm at the rear and it makes the tyres sit right up in the guards. Note I have also removed the spare tyre well. The car has yet to run under its own power so I still don't know how it will look on the road.

I'm really after the period look so I went with 6" fronts (centre laced) and 7" rears (reverse-laced). I know it will probably struggle for traction if driven hard but it is not my intention to drive it like that. The 6" front also keep the steering very light. If I had money to burn I might consider 15" dia fronts but I would prefer to spend the money elsewhere.

More pics - Keep the dream alive.

post-1266-069612100 1316845300_thumb.jpg

post-1266-019811500 1316845358_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know of a Scorpion GTZ kit/or a project car in the USA for sale or if they have a distributor in the USA to buy one? I found an old Alpha 1 car in Michigan that's already molded, but the guy wants 5000 for the car and it seems a little steep for what it is.

I don't know of anyone in the US that is producing a completed car. I think Thunder Ranch, http://www.thunderranch.com/, and Reaction Research, http://www.kitcarz.com/ , are the only ones making body kits.

If the Michigan Alpha you mentioned is this one on Ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/...T#ht_500wt_1182,

I have to say I thought it was pretty good deal. I paid $4500 for my body panels alone. I spent a lot more than $500 in time and materials mounting and aligning.

• 2 weeks later...

Charles Puckett, Charlie Puckett, Datsun Ferrari, 250 GTO kit, Puckett Auto Works, Puckett Automotive Design.

Completely out of the blue I have obtained what appears to be a Puckett kit. It has had a very hard life but apparently has never has been fitted. The front is excellent but the rear is a basket case as it appears someone tried to turn a Belinetta kit into a Spyder. There are many questions I would like to ask about installing a Puckett kit and I wonder if anyone out there has one or knows of someone who owns one? Thanks

post-1266-064461700 1318285180_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boy from Oz

Charles Puckett, Charlie Puckett, Datsun Ferrari, 250 GTO kit, Puckett Auto Works, Puckett Automotive Design.

Completely out of the blue I have obtained what appears to be a Puckett kit. It has had a very hard life but apparently has never has been fitted. The front is excellent but the rear is a basket case as it appears someone tried to turn a Belinetta kit into a Spyder. There are many questions I would like to ask about installing a Puckett kit and I wonder if anyone out there has one or knows of someone who owns one? Thanks

I'm tearing the house apart, i have the installation instructions and even a sales packet as I talked with Mr Puckett in about 1999 or 2000 and have loads of info from the other owner i told you about, just have to find it all.. you are correct about the roof / back window fitment. He told me on the phone that to get the proportions right he needed to shorten the appearance of the roof by moving the back window up around 4" into the roof. Also where the taillight panel fits against the trunk it's meant to be right up against it. Where on an Alpha or one of the scorpion cars the back of the trunklid/hatch is in the stock location on the puckett you don't see the old jamb from the hatch. I'll PM you pics of the other car as i don't have permission to distribute his name or pics publicly (he's kinda private).

chelle

Many thanks 'chelle' for your efforts and I hope you find that manual.

I am busy making new headlight covers and trims as the Alpha ones don't fit, also a trim for the grill. I will also keep working on the new doors originally planned for the Alpha kit as they should work on this kit.

As 'chelle' and I have been swapping PMs on this kit some of you may not understand the reference to the Puckett rear window position. This photo illustrates how it intrudes 100mm into the roof area. I'm keen to know what options there are for achieving this while maintaining the structural integrity of the roof (the little there is!)

post-1266-035669800 1318389450_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I bought the "Puckett" assembly manual about 12 years ago, for the education on stretching the S30 wheelbase from 90" to 94".

There is a file of the sales flyer on Eric Neyerlin's site:

pucket_zkit_flyer2.jpg

Edited by Trevor

• 2 weeks later...