HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

Fresh Air Vents for Velo Rossa

As I'm getting closer to completing my build, I noticed that the Velo Rossa hood covers up the fresh air vents on the Datsun. I'm looking for suggestions on how to get fresh air into the heating cooling vents.

One idea I have is to run a duct from the front of the car into the air boxes, but that would clutter the engine bay.

Another idea would be to put vents on the hood like the original GTOs had. I'm not a big fan of this. To me it looks like they forgot that the driver needed air and just stuffed some vents on. Kind of ruins the sleekness of the car.

I guess a third option would be to add grilled vents in the hood above the boxes that sit flush with the hood.

The attached pic is vent from an Aston Martin that could look nice.

post-895-098599300 1322971426_thumb.jpg

And it also occurred to me that I could punch a hole through the fender well and up into the air box and take advantage of the side vents behind the front tire.

Anyone else have a thought? Any pictures you can provide would be great.

Edited by mclark999

Did we discuss this when you were over? I seem to recall you saying that your car didn't have the the fresh air vents in this pic.

post-4015-029972000 1323049001_thumb.jpg

If you have the factory holes in the radiator mount and inner fender, just get a pair of these plastic vents.

Pricey, but a lot less work than cutting into your bonnet.

post-4015-006286800 1323050195_thumb.jpg

That's all I'm going to use since I'll be using only the heater in my roadster. If not, maybe you could add them.

Just a thought.

Wes

Edited by Fauxre

Mine has the large round holes on the radiator mount, but no holes on the side/inner fender. There does appear to be a boxlike channel that goes from there all the way to the fresh air boxes above the firewall. Maybe I will get those tubes and cut the necessary holes.

I am kind of liking the vent idea, but it's more work.

Someone has contacted me regarding the manufacture of the gear-selector gate. I was planning on making one but it was a little further down the track... like so many other things! Anyway, I gave it some thought and went to see a fabricator as to how I should go about it. It's easy to make a quick one-off but it is also possible to machine one out of a solid billet which would look more like the real cast one. There is naturally a bit more time and cost involved but it's also cheaper the more you make. The top gate plate would be blank and you would have to cut it to suit your gear lever pattern.

Is there anyone out there who might be interested in one of these? I have no idea of cost (I wouldn't pay over $100) I'm just after expressions of interest. If there are >5 I'll get a price and let people know. Please PM me if you are interested.

The photo is of a ceramic replica presented to owner on the 25th anniversary in 1987. Do a Google image search to see the item in a GTO. Note there is no plaque.

post-1266-093527000 1323216152_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boy from Oz

• 1 month later...

These are some seriously beautiful cars. I was gearing up to do a FFR coupe, but now I am having second thoughts. Consider me very interested if any of you get any leads on unfinished kits. this will be my first "kit car" but heres a 73 firebird i put together over the years.

301977_2304639849904_1066482185_2717551_517417510_n.jpg

How do you change the stock Datsun 280Z exterior door handle to the Honda cvcc button/finger pull style for an Alpha-1 250 GTO replica? This is to be done on a finished conversion with the kit door skins already affixed with the stock handle. I have searched the entire "250 GTO door buttons" thread and found the diagram to build the adapter for the Honda handle. Any fiberglassing tips will be helpful for this "retro-fit". Thanks

Going by your description you will need to cut out the section of the fibreglass skin which contains the the door-handle recess and re-glass it to match the contour of the skin - I undertook a similar process when I changed the fuel filler to the rear.

You will need to fabricate two of the mechanisms shown below. I don't know how easy it will be with the skin attached.

post-1266-073265700 1326341717_thumb.jpg

post-1266-076253100 1326341732_thumb.jpg

post-1266-023674400 1326341765_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boy from Oz

• 1 month later...

Thanks BfO...

I have a set of the Honda push button handles, so now would like to purchase a set of fabricated mechanisms as in the diagram. Have seen older threads of those who have made extra sets for sale. Local fab shop wants too much $. Anyone with a set for sale, please PM. Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Boy from OZ: "Fabulous week visiting Speedracer and at Monterey.

If you haven't seen SpeedRacer's car in the flesh then I can tell you the photos do not do it justice, it is not just a GTO kit car but a beautifully finished show car. And yes, I got to drive it. "

That number 6 GTO with the RWB stripes was restored by a friend of mine.

If in fact it is the same one. At the time a guy in Illinois owned it.

It was sold and then resold I believe. I heard it was in Asia somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

What a gorgeous detail for your car! :2thumbs:

Did they start out as standard Dayton swept ear caps ...

Yes

I ordered unplated/unstamped caps but they sent plated ones. I contacted Dayton and they just sent me another (unplated) set. I guess the return postage (to Oz) wasn't worth the cost.

I turned the dome down to a flat surface as engraving can only be done on a flat surface, unlike etching. Apparently the cutter will form unequal depths each side and create distorted letters.

I sent them to a metal polisher to remove the machining marks and he outsourced the plating. The brass was quite porous and required several base coats of copper before the chromium plating.

All the engraver needs is a vector diagram of the logo - www.brandsoftheworld.com - however, the configuration of the spokes on the logo had to be reworked and the other text and arrows added.

A chap in the US apparently does it:

http://vonflueart.com/ueco/universal-engravers-portfolio/restorations-professionals/

A couple more photos of the process.

post-1266-007478500 1336275323_thumb.jpg

post-1266-010192300 1336275345_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boy from Oz

Good Day,

I own a 1963 ferrari 250 GTO Spider replica, and I'm trying very hard to find parts as close as to the original as I can. I'm looking for the SLOTTED SHIFTER, THE STEERING WHEEL, PICTURE OF SOME OF THE ORIGINALS INTERIOR SO I CAN SEE HOW THEY DIFFER FROM EACH OTHER, DO YOU KNOW WHO CAN HELP?. I CAN BE REACHED AT " JOE@LEBELLEARTI.COM "

REGARDS

JOE MILITE

I'm looking for PICTURE OF SOME OF THE ORIGINALS INTERIOR SO I CAN SEE HOW THEY DIFFER FROM EACH OTHER,

JOE MILITE

Hi Joe,

I'm no Ferrari expert, but I don't think there were any factory 250 GTO Spyders, just some conversions of other Ferraris re-bodied. For my car, I found out details from some of the Ferrari forums around. There are some pictures of one of the Spyder replicas at Ferrarichat that you can see here (you have to register for the forum to see the pictures, but I found it worth it):

250 GTE/GTO

Most of the Ferrari boards don't have a high opinion of replicas, but there are photos and information to be found. I've gotten Ferrari parts and replica parts from Ebay from time to time and reading through this thread on 250 GTOs right here is a gold mine of information.

.. looking for the SLOTTED SHIFTER, THE STEERING WHEEL, PICTURE OF SOME OF THE ORIGINALS INTERIOR SO I CAN SEE HOW THEY DIFFER FROM EACH OTHER,...

Pretty much as 'C Pierre' states.

The slotted shifter you will have to have made, or make yourself. Important to note... the shifter in your car may not have the movement (particularly left to right) to use a slotted gate.

The steering wheel is a Nardi but around $3000 if you can find one - the closest is the Nardi Anni 60 which was fitted to some Lancias in the 60s. You can buy a new one but it will need an adaptor and a Ferrari horn button. I picked all those bits second-hand up off the Italian eBay.

I doubt you would see an original interior except in period photos and they are nearly all B&W. They were all built as race cars so there was no trim except for blue seats, however, as they were retired and sold for conversion to road cars the various new owners often modified the interiors to suit themselves.

Some photos here: http://www.supercars.net/cars/518.html

There are also excellent reference books by Anthony Pritchard and, Jess Pourret & Keith Bluemel which detail every GTO built (note; no spyders) available on eBay, etc. Buy your wife one for Mother's Day!

Here are some photos I took at the Laguna Seca historic meeting last August.

post-1266-003001800 1336620111_thumb.jpg

post-1266-073692300 1336620127_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boy from Oz

• 3 weeks later...

i am starting one very soon. i ordered the McBurnie kit. i spent time with both john washington (reaction research) and tom mcburnie (thunder ranch). I believe i got more from mcburnie for a bit smaller price but they are really hard to compare as the kit has many different components and slightly different build and show philosophies. we shall see how it goes.

Hi 250 GTO owners. My name is Mark Clapp. I'm an individual and I make the headlight covers for the 250 GTO replicas. The plastic I use is shatter proof and will not crack. I made a set for Rodger Ralphs and he thought I should post about them here. He is sending pictures and I'll add them. I'm asking $80/pair. I also make the hood scoops for $60/pair. Feel free to call me at: 816-286-6982 and my email address is: mclapp1(at)att(dot)net. I've attached a picture of GT40 light covers I make to show the terrific luster and clarity of the plastic.

Thanks,

Mark Clapp

post-29241-056430500 1338470028_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark Clapp