HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to post pictures of the 250 GTO headlight covers I make. The plastic is shatter proof and will not crack. I'm asking $80/pair and I also make the hood scoops for $60/pair. Feel free to call me anytiime at: 816-286-6982 or email me at: mclapp1(at)att(dot)net

post-29241-058906200 1341762307_thumb.jpg

post-29241-053440400 1341762318_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Where’s the satisfaction in that?

Where’s the 1000s of hours of your life wasted.

The 1000s of dollars wasted.

The abuse from your wife – see previous.

The frustration at having to redo something because you took a wrong measurement.

The utter frustration of redoing again because you actually got the measurement right first time but stuffed up the calculations.

Where’s the garage full of stuff you bought but later realized you didn’t need.

The physical scars from the lacerations you sustained when the wrench slipped off the nut.

The hole in the garage panel where you threw the wrench – see previous.

The emotional scar when you realize you’ve taken on a project you can’t finish

Where’s the…

Sorry, it's time for my medication.

The frustration at having to redo something because you took a wrong measurement.

The utter frustration of redoing again because you actually got the measurement right first time but stuffed up the calculations.

The physical scars from the lacerations you sustained when the wrench slipped off the nut.

Where’s the…

i am just beginning to feel your pain errrr love, that's it.

Where’s the…

I believe I've experienced all of these situations. But my favorite is the ratio of hours I spend contemplating how to do something ... compared to the minutes it takes to actually do it!

Edited by Fauxre

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK I have began my long march on the GTO trail (forgive my typing as i am recovering from a smashed left hand so i type slow, so i can capitalize as required by this forum and have a reach problem for the left shift cap keys), Here is where I am at and where I am hoping to go.

Purchased the Thunder Ranch kit. It has been a real trial to get them to complete the order but it is slowly happening (purchased in May) Some small parts yet to be delivered.

Starting with a '73 240Z with a small about of rust.

Car is now mostly stripped of all rear suspension, 280zxt engine that was in the car is now pulled along with the rest of the drive train. (Engine and BW 5 speed available if anyone is interested and is posted on craigs list)

Rear wheel wells opened and are currently being welded to close gaps ans do weld repair.

S32 vlsd differential, hub carriers, and axles obtained

Shortened coil-over struts and shocks from Techno Toys ) {TT}, include eibach springs and Tokiko cartridges.

All new rear and front end suspension components purchased from TT.

Shortened outer drive axles modified by TT.

New rear brake rotors from 300zx, rebuild calipers from same.

New wildwood front rotors and calipers coming from TT.

5 lug hubs all around.

Rectangular Corvette taillight lens and corvette light harness obtained.

Pantera style aft deck lid in hand and probably would be used.

RB25DET engine/trans purchased.

SDS EM4-F engine management obtained as part of Datsun acquisition

Removed pwr steering and AC pump from motor

Obtained a reverse sump oil pan as the RB has a fwd. facing sump.

Getting ready to pull harmonic balancer pulley to modify for SDS timing magnets

Need to remove a bunch of engine parts to redrill oil dip stick hole. BTW does anyone know of any after market oil level electronic measurement systems available? My Porsche has that and it is extremely cool.

Obtained 550 cc injectors and high performance coils (not sure if i am going to modify wiring from SDS to drive stock configuration coils or use SDS coils and run longer spark plug wires - any input on this would be appreciated).

I have a new after market intake manifold and 90mm throttle body to allow forward facing intercooler piping instead of routing pipes across the top of the engine, I think this will be easier for normal engine maintenance and allow a cleaner look.

Sparco inter-cooler on the shelf

New 60psi fuel pump and fuel pressure guage on the parts shelf.

After reading what i wrote here i am re-examining my sanity.

Anyway pictures will follow soon. My goal is a custom car with strong nods towards the original GTO but with significant visual differences. Sort of a Resto-Mod concept; Engine power goals are a modest mid 300 hundreds since adding any serious turbo boost will require a different turbo. i can probably crank the boost to ,.8 bar (around 10lbs) safely with out destroying the stock turbo.

I have been lurking on this forum for the last 6 months and have sucked up lots of great ideas. Your comments and thoughts for this long term project are welcomed and appreciated.

BTW I have never attempted anything like this before. Nuts huh?

Edited by Kclank

It looks like I need some guidance on uploading photos to this site. Any help out there or would it be better to use Picassa or Photobucket?

1st you need to click on the "Use Full Editor" > post-181-009611300 1347532535_thumb.jpeg

at the bottom of page

Then click on "click to attach files" > post-181-034638200 1347532542_thumb.jpeg

and choose the pics you want to load off your hard drive.

Please be sure your pics are within the forums rules size ( aprox 1200 x 800 ).

I wanted to post pictures of the 250 GTO headlight covers I make. The plastic is shatter proof and will not crack. I'm asking $80/pair and I also make the hood scoops for $60/pair. Feel free to call me anytiime at: 816-286-6982 or email me at: mclapp1(at)att(dot)net

Do you or do you know any one who makes the chrome rings?

Thanks,

John

Do you or do you know any one who makes the chrome rings?

Thanks,

Thunder Ranch can make them but it takes glacial time to get them. TR has undergone all new management and i have had to resurrect my old order multiple times. still waiting on parts i ordered in May.

John

Takes some muscle to turn at rest. Still feels heavy underway... I wouldn't describe it as 'nimble', by any stretch.

ok thanks. was thinking of a thinner wheel up front, but it is hard to find off the shelf wheels that have a 6-6.5" front matched with a 8-8.5" rear, even when staggered .