HybridZ
Duke

250 GTO Owners Thread

Hi all, I am a newbe. We are just finishing-up our Alfa-One, on a 74 260Z, stretched 4.5 inches, Powered by a BMW V-12, w/ 4 Weber Carbs, Aluminum Flywheel w/ Stage II clutch, 280 Z LS Rear end, Toyota 4runner 4 wheel discs and a ZF Dog Leg, 5 speed Transmission, and Porsche Power Steering Rack, (Hi-end everything, to be brief). We have just gotten the car back from the paint shop,( silverstone/ with a silver strip).
 We had bought a Refurbished set of Borrani RW 3801 wheels and Splined hubs from MWS in GB. but the Deep offset of the RW 3801 wheels will not work on the front, so two of the wheels are currently posted on Evil bay, ( perfect and correct for the rear), and are looking for a more correct, lip laced wheels for the front. There are a couple of Videos on U tube, done during to build process. (go to Datsun Ferrari 250GTO, Weber or something such as). Regards all, Bob Lesher in Astoria Oregon

Posted (edited)

After all  the work you did, are you ready for people to tell you the car is a "fake" or a "Nissan kit car?"  There are basically no armchair car enthusiasts that will appreciate a well-made anything, especially when they expect to see a $50 million car...

Edited by TomoHawk

Welcome 1alfanatic,

Sorry I can't help with the wheels.  Most of us with wire wheels run custom Dayton wheels.  Nice wheels but they are not Borrani's.  Sounds like a very interesting project so how about posting a few pictures? 

BTW, Chelle, who posted above, has a beautiful Z based GTO with the longer wheelbase and BMW V12.  She built it herself and is quite an enthusiast, so if you had any questions, I am sure she would be willing to answer them. 

Ferrari_32

Posted (edited)

Boranni got their modern (hub) design from Dayton...  You might say Boranni and Dayton wheels are essentially the same, because the only real difference is where the spoke go through the rim.

Edited by TomoHawk

Hi all, I am a newbe. We are just finishing-up our Alfa-One, on a 74 260Z, stretched 4.5 inches, Powered by a BMW V-12, w/ 4 Weber Carbs, Aluminum Flywheel w/ Stage II clutch, 280 Z LS Rear end, Toyota 4runner 4 wheel discs and a ZF Dog Leg, 5 speed Transmission, and Porsche Power Steering Rack, (Hi-end everything, to be brief). We have just gotten the car back from the paint shop,( silverstone/ with a silver strip).

We had bought a Refurbished set of Borrani RW 3801 wheels and Splined hubs from MWS in GB. but the Deep offset of the RW 3801 wheels will not work on the front, so two of the wheels are currently posted on Evil bay, ( perfect and correct for the rear), and are looking for a more correct, lip laced wheels for the front. There are a couple of Videos on U tube, done during to build process. (go to Datsun Ferrari 250GTO, Weber or something such as). Regards all, Bob Lesher in Astoria Oregon

Welcome!! Isn't this the car that was listed with several Alphas on "Bring a trailer" in the Pacific northwest a couple months ago?  Glad to see you're digging in on the car. Also I love the Montreal! I have a couple Urracos, which share the same distributor cap :) Your car is looking great! Please post more!

Also, did you get ignition system figured out? I followed the discussion on one of the BMW forums and saw Fred with the V12 Vette was showing his setup with 12 individual coils. I run 6 dual plug coils and waste spark (fire coils on both the compression and exhaust stroke), which means any ignition computer that can fire 6 coils can manage it. And I batch fire injectors To fire 12 + injectors individually i would need to either get an EFI technologies ECU (almost $5k) or treat the engine as 2 six cylinders and run a computer for the left bank, and another for the right bank.. even with the EFI Tech ECU, you still have to use waste spark.. Short of a custom configured MoTeC M880, with 12 ignition outputs (for around $3k), waste spark is necessary unless you want to treat the engine like 2 six cylinders.

Following on from the movie  http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/50042-250-gto-owners-thread/?p=1182927 I've put together a book about the build.

I just started out keeping notes for myself and any future owners about what went into the build for later maintenance and repair. Friends wanted to know how it was progressing so the notes morphed in quarterly journal entries.

Someone suggested I compile it into a photo-book and as it turned out I think it gives added provenance to the car.

post-1266-0-22948500-1499911375_thumb.jpg

post-1266-0-20148200-1499911290_thumb.jpg

post-1266-0-69755500-1499911331_thumb.jpg

Just a thought for those undertaking builds.

I might be able to find it in the GTO Replica Registry  or I could have it on the old Terry Watson registry list. 

Does it stioll exist?  I was going to add mine, but I don't think the GTORR is still online, for obvious reasons.

Posted (edited)

Think that 12 cylinder engine is wrong for the car, IMO.  It's too big and too heavy.  A lightweight 3 Litre V-8 with a short stroke would be more fitting, IMO, as it would be closer to  the original  specification. 

Edited by TomoHawk

Posted (edited)

Following on from the movie  http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/50042-250-gto-owners-thread/?p=1182927 I've put together a book about the build.

I just started out keeping notes for myself and any future owners about what went into the build for later maintenance and repair. Friends wanted to know how it was progressing so the notes morphed in quarterly journal entries.

Someone suggested I compile it into a photo-book and as it turned out I think it gives added provenance to the car.

attachicon.gifPhotobook pages 3.jpg

attachicon.gifFirst edition 1s.jpg

attachicon.gifFirst edition 2s.jpg

Just a thought for those undertaking builds.

I have a copy of this book and it is a huge coffee table book full of interesting and useful information.  If you are thinking of taking on a 240Z to Ferrari GTO project I would highly recommend you get a copy.  Peter (Boy from OZ) does some very interesting things in his build and comes up with some excellent good ideas.  

Edited by SpeedRacer

Posted (edited)

Does it stioll exist?  I was going to add mine, but I don't think the GTORR is still online, for obvious reasons.

Yes and no.  I don't know what "for obvious reasons" means but John Washington has a little bit of the GTO Replica Registry (GTORR) on line as part of his Reaction Research site:    http://www.reactionresearch.com/gtorr/index.html

However, I think John is to busy with his other companies and endeavors so he hasn't done much with it. 

Edited by SpeedRacer

Think that 12 cylinder engine is wrong for the car, IMO.  It's too big and too heavy.  A lightweight 3 Litre V-8 with a short stroke would be more fitting, IMO, as it would be closer to  the original  specification. 

The 12 weighs less than a cast iron Small Block Chevy V8.. I think mine was about 325lbs.. an 12 cylinder has a distinct sound and smoothness.. The original GTOs had an all aluminum (2.5 liter) SOHC V12.. the BMW is 5-6 liter, SOHC and external dimensions and weight are about the same as the Ferrari engine  :)  

Different strokes for different folks  :D (pun intended)

Can it spin 8,000 RPM?

Nope, and neither can most V8s people put in this chassis.

6400 rpm stock, well blueprinted maybe 7000, which is more than most overhead valve, non race prepped, single cam engines as it has overhead cams.

I do want a Hartley type V8 for my black fiero .. that goes to 14k redline.. but the price still hurts my brain.

Greetings GTO kit owners,

I have a GTO kit that I am restoring and modifying with LS1 and T56 of of 04 GTO.     post-55257-0-35239300-1503275757_thumb.jpg

I have re-enforced the chassis and replaced the floor boards.  I have started to finish the body (making the vents functional).  

I have a complete 2004 GTO w/T56 donor.  I could use any advice before I start pulling the donor apart.

Thanks

Willie

Posted (edited)

Willie. That's pretty much the donor I used except it was an Aussie version.

Give some thought to:

Using the GM radiator and thermo fans but mounting them forward of the Datsun radiator support.

Cutting the sprout off the thermostat housing and re-welding at an angle to suit any radiator relocation.

Using the alternator from F1 body car (?), Firebird I think, to clear the new engine mount - if you are using JCI mounts.

Engine mounts, exhaust and steering shaft have to be created together otherwise you'll have interference issues.

In the same vein, buy off-the-shelf mounts, it ain't as easy as it looks to make your own, then have space for exhaust and steering shaft.

Incorporate the gearbox cross-member mounts into the new frame rails - much better that mounting through the floor.

For access reasons replace the clutch hard line with a flexible one and add an extended flexible bleed line running up the firewall. Also swap the electrical fitting on the reverse light sender for a 900 one from a Mustang fitted with a t56.

I used the GM in-tank fuel pump. I machined an aluminium adaptor for the pump to fit into a bespoke aluminium fuel tank, though I believe these adaptors can now be purchased.

I used the DBW throttle. Fairly simple to mount. I even retained the cruise control.

I mounted all the electrical components above the passengers feet.

I fitted the GM LSD diff as well and can give you some templates of the brackets I made. http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/69682-gm-lsd-irs-diff-in-s30-fits-like-a-glove/

I used the GM tailshaft (shortened) with a rubber coupling on each end That was because the JCI mounts position the engine 25mm off-centre which also happen to be the off=set of the pinion at the diff. This creates a straight line from the t56 output to the diff input.

I used the GM brake booster and master cylinder. I also used the GM clutch master cylinder but I had to off-set it 40mm (?) to clear the booster.

There really isn't much, if anything, different about installing an LSx/t56 in a 250 GTO that's different from installing in any other S30 Datsun.

Edited by Boy from Oz