HybridZ

T56 VH and etc..

prelewd

Tried searching, but to no avail. Was wondering if anyone can put me in contact with someone that has successfully completed, or is in process of completing, a VH45 swap into an S30. (A.X.E. Power?)

Also, how radically different/ what would I have to technically overcome to mate a '94 Camaro T56 to an earlier VH45? I imagine them to be quite a bit different in most regards (housing, spline, starter, etc..), but you never know when an idea will get lucky and become a good one.

This might be a question for the chev board (but I'm more interested in the VH at the moment). I currently have the said T56 and an older SBC 327. Would these two have any problem coming together? I heard something about rear main seals, but no difinitive information.

Finally, what does a front clip from a, let's say, 1991 Q45 go for these days. I have a guy offering me one.. Says it's a twin turbo for some reason. I'd like to make an offer, but am weary of the turbos and where it came from...

Thanks in advance for the information.

-Barrett

Q45 was never twin turbo. If he's saying its a twin turbo I'd probably stay away from that deal. You can find VH's in good condition from salvage yards I'd say anywhere between $500 to $1,000 or so. I just went and bought an entire running Q45 for $2,000 so I could get a bunch of parts of it and part out the rest. I'm lazy though so the parting out part of the deal hasn't worked out too much yet. :lol:

T56 wise, a guy here swapped a VH into an S30 and mated a T56 to it using an adapter plate. You can take a look at it here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/563982

Ok.. So I did a bit of looking on the local Craigslist and found a guy that's parting a Q45. He said he'd sell me the whole car for 600 or 700. I'm leaning toward 6 :) . In any case, the return on the car should be good, upon parting it out. But I'm still considering other possibilities.

Thanks, cookson, for the link to the cardomain website. Was very informative.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel that a 300zx transmision would be an easier addition to the engine than a T56..? Does anyone have any information on this?

I would really like to get this swap going, whether it's the 327 or q45. The reason I'm hesitating and thinking VH swap would be better is the all Nissanness of it, thus, the value being higher and the car being more exotic.

Please, any input, whether saying to "search more", or anything, would be appreciated.

Thanks for the input guys.. I bought a wrecked 1991 Q45 for 700 dollars in running and driving condition. (good enough deal?) Even if I don't do the swap, I should make a profit parting it out, or reselling it.

I'm going to go to a trusted local aluminum welder/race car builder and see what he says about mating the T56 bellhousing to the back of that engine.

It looks like the only thing that might hold me up on this project is the funds and motivation to wrench in the cold after going to work for 10 hours.

In any case, the project has started, and I hope to keep you all updated as events happen. If you have anymore information, please let me know.

Thanks,

Barrett

PS: When is next years Motorsport Auto Z meet? It'd be nice to have a deadline.. :)

• 5 years later...
  • 9 years later...