HybridZ

We don't need no stinking fusible links!

Warren

It's been brought to my attention and I've gotten a question that I think might be easily answered by this.

The ZX fusible link box has basically 5 fusible link outputs. The question is how do you use 4 MAXIfuses for 5 circuits? The diagram and notes below should explain.

MAXIFUSE.JPG

Sorry about that...had them listed wrong in the diagram. It's fixed now.

The starter lead isn't fused at all...it goes from the top part of the distribution block (on the side) directly to the starter...unfused, just like normal.

Also, fuse sizes can vary depending on how your car is equipped.

Sorry for the confusion.

• 5 weeks later...
hi guys, maybe you can help me out, i have a 302 ford in my 280z and running 130amp alternator, my fusible links are fried, should i fix them or go with something else??

thanks

Yah, as you might tell from my signature, I am not too fond of the fusible links... they caught fire and sidelined my Z since 2004.. so I have looked into this alot, and the conversion simply makes sense. After 30 years, all of our fusible link blocks have seen too much time and moisture to be reliable at this point, and these parts are alot less expensive and more reliable, and have GOT to be better for longevity, than OEM replacements.

If you simply need new actual fusible links, you can buy fusible link wire from auto parts suppliers. Here in the states we just go to an auto parts store, the better ones carry the wire in stock. I dont know where in Kuwait you might find it, but you should be able to find it online somewhere...

I did the maxi-fuse upgrade on a couple of our 280Z's, but they haven't done well without being in an enclosed box. Lots of corrosion around the fuse blades. I've also had the fuel relays go out a couple of times so I looked into getting a box to replace all the fuse links and the relays.

What I liked the best were the power distribution boxes from Dodge Neons. They have 6 maxi-fuses, 6 generic relays and 7 mini fuses. It took an hour to ring it out. Couldn't be happier with the setup, even though the "bling factor" isn't there. I'll post pics if anyone cares to see.

I did the maxi-fuse upgrade on a couple of our 280Z's, but they haven't done well without being in an enclosed box. Lots of corrosion around the fuse blades. I've also had the fuel relays go out a couple of times so I looked into getting a box to replace all the fuse links and the relays.

What I liked the best were the power distribution boxes from Dodge Neons. They have 6 maxi-fuses, 6 generic relays and 7 mini fuses. It took an hour to ring it out. Couldn't be happier with the setup, even though the "bling factor" isn't there. I'll post pics if anyone cares to see.

Yar, Photos are in order for this.. it might even be a better option that this

Resizeofbracket.jpg

for installing relays on needed circuits (starter control, headlights, radiator fan, and anything else you want to bypass stock wiring for... That bracket (complete with cover, not shown) came out of an early 90's BMW 3-series

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

For all those wanting to see a write-up, go here, as posted by Teekass.

If you have an S130, see the diagram that the OP posted showing which wires go where, or check your FSM. It's really not hard. Very similar to wiring a radio or sound system, minus the negative side of things.

• 4 years later...

I checked out the links, seems easy enough to do this upgrade. However I have a few questions. If I do not want to upgrade my alt yet what amp fuse should I go with? It seems to start at a 1975, I have a 73 240z, Does a 73 240z not have fuseable links? Thats probably a dumb question.

The 73 has one fusible link at the starter solenoid to protect the car wiring. The alternator output is not separately protected by a fuse or fusible link. If you add a fuse to the alternator output use a fuse that is a bit bigger that the alternator's current rating. For a 60 amp alternator a 75 or 80 amp fuse is about right.

• 3 months later...