Body Shop Referral

RacerX

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Spoke to 3 different shops, including Williams Autobody, (though I only spoke to him on the phone).

Rough estimates ranged between $5,500 to $7,000 for a good quality "driver" paint job. That's for painting the exterior, door jams, wheel wells and engine bay. That's with the car delivered as a rolling chassis with no exterior chrome, windows, interior or drivetrain.

It is a two-color job, but involves only minimal body / rust work, (maybe 3 - 5 hours worth), as the car is really clean & straight.

Even though it's the SF Bay Area, (San Mateo CA), to me this seems expensive for what they have to do. I expected this to cost about $4,000.

Am I being unreasonable in my expectations? Do these estimates sound high to you guys?

240 left side_thumb.jpg

I was lucky to get my car done for $4000. That is everything, mounting doors, fenders, hatch, hood, redoing all the body work and fixing some fust issues. Also shaved the rear end and emblems. Turned out perfect. On the whole car Ive only found two very very small specs/runs. I was lucky.

Also wet sanded the paint so there isnt any orange peal.

Spoke to 3 different shops, including Williams Autobody, (though I only spoke to him on the phone).

Rough estimates ranged between $5,500 to $7,000 for a good quality "driver" paint job. That's for painting the exterior, door jams, wheel wells and engine bay. That's with the car delivered as a rolling chassis with no exterior chrome, windows, interior or drivetrain.

It is a two-color job, but involves only minimal body / rust work, (maybe 3 - 5 hours worth), as the car is really clean & straight.

Even though it's the SF Bay Area, (San Mateo CA), to me this seems expensive for what they have to do. I expected this to cost about $4,000.

Am I being unreasonable in my expectations? Do these estimates sound high to you guys?

Pm me your number and I can call you up with the best body guy there is. Granted his shop is in West Sacramento. But he's been painting and doing body work for 45 years. As soon as I sell my Rx7 I'm paying him to do all the bodywork and paint on my z. Another thing is he's very motivated and still loves his job. He refuses to jimmy rig anything or to half ass things. On top of that he focuses on one car at a time so it goes in and out of the shop really fast. He's very reasonable with prices too. I'm willing to bet he can do all that for you for the $4000 you thought you'd pay. hehe I watched him fabricate the whole side paneling of a 240sx out of a honda hood and I couldn't even tell which side was damaged.

• 2 weeks later...
Do these estimates sound high to you guys?

No. I drove my car to several body shops in the Bay Area for estimates. Estimates ranged from about $6000 to over $12,000!!! That's for taking the car down to bare metal and building it up from there, one color with clear coat. Williams had several Z's there when I stopped by and the quality looked very nice. I took my car somewhere else for significantly less but my car sat for almost 10 months before it was done. My car was very straight as well with no rust and it took them a whole lot more that 4 or 5 hours labor!!! I think the guy lost his shirt on doing my car because he asked not to refer him.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Pease any one I LOVE MY Z and dontwant any one that does not have datsun/nissan running thru there blood to touch my baby!!!! I need a shop within a 20 mile radius of LARGO,FL

I'm not within 20 miles but if you havent found someone yet.... CK Kustoms in Ocala, Florida. I'm an hour north of orlando and half an hour south of g'ville. I love z cars and do any and all custom work including rust repair, major collision, custom body kits... The list goes on. My shop addy is 3040 NW 21st St. Ocala Fl. 34475 Phone is (352) 438-6476. I do alot of high end vehicles but the Z is my passion!

• 5 months later...

This thread hasn't been posted to in a while but i wanted to ask if anyone in the Southern Cali area knows of a good but inexpensive shop that does media blasting? Or any(sand, etc.) blaster in general.

What kind of prices should i expect?

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...