HybridZ

The Strut thread - Koni / Illumina / Tokico / Carrera / Bilstein / Ground Control

Guys

I have just had some custom aluminum shocks made for my 240 by a local company. If you have heard of AVO shocks, well this guy is MR Avo! has now started another company and did a very nice job on some fully adjustable inserts. He also make double adjustables at a fraction of the normal cost. I doubt with the current exchange rate will help but if anyone wants to give me dimensions and spring rates I can get you a cost.

Cheers

Oh, yeah, uh, I know exactly what all you guys just said. Hold on, strut ok just fonud it in Webster.

Now, for the technical idiot just getting into this, what struts (short answer please) do I order for my Z (1975 280Z). I need all 4 replaced. I plan on wanting a nice street ride with good handling and all, not planning on racing, but I got the itch to hit it at least once or twice to get some times when I am all done.

Help, be nice, and I'm up for someone taking me under their wing as I do this thing.

Thanks

Jon

• 4 weeks later...

I've read this all finally, and still have a question. What is the difference between the 8610 and the 8611?

EDIT: I found the answer on the Koni site. It appears that the 10 is single, and the 11 is double adjustable (but it appeared from this string that this was the difference between the 8611-1257 and the 8611-1437. So now I am confused. I was hoping one had a shorter body than th other, but that does not appear to be the case.

Gotcha on that, but I think I did find an answer to my main concern, and that was body length. Shox.com tech informs me the 8611 series has 4 different body lenths from 11.42" up to 15+" (1256, 1259,...) and the 8610 series has 2 body lenths - 11.42" and 13.07" (1436 and 1437). It sounded like the 8611 offers more flexibility in spring rate being this strut performance window overlaps (high and low) the 8610's non-adjustable compression portion setting. Am I understanding this correctly?

Normal (linear) shock valving increases its resistance to motion in at a linear rate based on shaft speed. The faster the shaft moves the more resistant the linear valving is to that movement.

Digressive shock valving reduces the rate of increase to resistance to movement at some pre-determined shaft speed (sometimes called the "knee point"). Digressive valving on the compression side allows the shock to be more compliant over bumps yet retain good control of body movments. Disgressive valving on the rebound side allows the spring to quickly return to its nominal length reducing the tendency for the spring to pack down over a series of bumps.

Progressive shock valving used to be dominant in off road racing but the racers ahve learned the benfits of digressive valving so shock technology for off road racing has moved away from progressive valving rates.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I ordered my 8610s today. I wanted 8611s, but this body width (according to Koni) is 1.8 inches, and the ID of my 240 tubes are only 1.75". It appears the 8610's width of 1.72 is gonna be close, but work.

Does this sound correct by other's out there?

Well' date=' I ordered my 8610s today. I wanted 8611s, but this body width (according to Koni) is 1.8 inches, and the ID of my 240 tubes are only 1.75". It appears the 8610's width of 1.72 is gonna be close, but work.

Does this sound correct by other's out there?[/quote']

It took A LOT of work to make them fit my 240 tubes. Sand all the paint off the struts, ream out the inside of the strut tube, and I found there is the strut number stamped near the bottom of the strut that is raised a bit and catches as it goes in and needs to be knocked down. I got them to fit even after sectioning but just barely and it took a lot of effort. They were not consistent as one just fell in even with paint, one required some paint removal, and the other two were just a PITA. One of the scariest parts is trying to get the gland nuts started without cross-threading them since everything is so tight.

Cameron

I suspected that, but this info on there being a difference (albeit a small difference) came from the Koni tech. I carefully measured my tubes and I found I was going to be about .005" too small for the 8611 based upon what Koni told me, a within a couple of thou of slack on the 8610. I hate to leave something like this open-ended. I think I call Koni again in the morning and see what their response is.

Thinking about strut tubes, wouldn't it be cleaner to start with a new tube that fits the inserts easily? Instead of putting sleeves on and struggling to fit the insert I want to use, why not start out with a new tube thats threaded its full length? Does anyone know the source of full length steel strut tubes that are threaded? I know JohnC used some Penske units, but I couldn't find them on there website.

strut1.jpg

http://forum.vwsport.com/pics/data/500/strut1.jpg

strut6.jpg

http://forum.vwsport.com/pics/data/500/strut6.jpg

strut7.jpg

http://forum.vwsport.com/pics/data/500/strut7.jpg

Regards,

Justin

Justin

If you like I can get you a cost on the threaded tubes only, like my ones you have shown in the pics above. They would come with collars and gland nuts. You would need to find someone good at welding to fit them to the hubs, I think the guy that welded mine used 2 methods to get a good weld.

So IF this tube replaces the OEM tube, how do you get more ID out of it (being it is still inserted into the OEM spindle boss). Is the tube of thinner wall thickness, or must the OEM spindle boss be bored to a larger diameter, or does the insert only drop down as far as the boss and no further?

Unfortunately I never took any detailed pictures of the Penske setup I had. They are sitting on a shelf in the garage of the guy who bought them from me in 2004 so I can probably go down there and take some - one day.

In most cases with threaded body struts the shock body itself is also the strut tube. To make a larger OD shock work, you cut off the OEM strut tube just above the casting, machine a threaded adatpter that is press fit and welded into the remining stub of the OEM strut tube, and then thread the shock body onto the adapter.