HybridZ

Z spotted in another movie

savageskaterkid

• 1 month later...

1981 Slasher Film, "Happy Birthday to Me", starring Melissa Sue Anderson and Glenn Ford contains two scenes with a nice silver 240 Z. At the 11 minute point, several college kids play 'chicken' with their cars by jumping an opening draw bridge. The Z peels out of a parking lot and is the first to make the jump. At 45 minutes, the driver gets back in the Z and drives out of another parking area. No need to watch the rest of the film unless you like "B" movies. The film is showing "On Demand" on Verizon's FEARnet channel.

It wasn't really quite a B movie, more just a flop, but there was a movie I remember seeing in the early early 90s, so I would hazard it released 89-91. It was about a kid and his dad, who was a bank robber. they wound up running into his Mom, who he thought was dead, and who drove a Z (280 I think, but I was like 12 and only knew the difference if my dad told me.)

The movie was pretty crappy, but one line in it stands out in my mind.. "We don't do concerts, we're bank robbers!!"

I can't remember the names of any actors, or anything else they may have been in, either. I remember another scene where Dad explained to Junior that they should steal American cars for getaway vehicles to stimulate the economy; the owner, he postulates, will then go buy another American car.

Stupid movie; in the end they all three move to Canada and keep robbing banks I think?? And..... JUST before finally posting this I dug it up. "Fast Getaway" is the title of the movie. The 75 280 is featured rather extensively as a getaway car.

EDIT

HOLY COW Cory Haim played the Kid!!! I've thought about posting a question up about this dumb movie forever, but the timing is just creepy. His character also manages to lose his V-card during the movie, so that is somewhat amusing....

Edit Mark Two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eV0eA6atXU&feature=related

This is even better than I remembered!! There is an extensive chase scene with Aerial footage and everything.. Z-car plays the hero and knocks an old F-100 off a cliff.. Th3en starts up and you can hear the valves and injectors over the water pump fan and everything. It even has the same rims as my 75 280!! WATCH! I KNEW this was a gem waiting to be dug up... Someone download and re host these vids before the traffic gets them dropped!!

Edited by Daeron

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Found a still with the 280ZX from True Lies.

post-2948-099294900 1300123517_thumb.jpg

I also recently watched The Gumball Rally from 1976 and there were Datsuns all over in that one. The silver car parked on the street as the Camaro is passing it looked small enough and of the right shape to be an S30.

post-2948-041915300 1300123507_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

did not feel like going through the whole thread but cant sleep and watching top gun. the scene where mcgillis chases cruz in her speedster and runs the stop sign, right when she stops the car and confront him there is a z in the background.

Jimbo

• 1 month later...

Over the Top - 1987

A Sylvester Stallone film where the plot revolves around arm wrestling and a whiny kid.

The annoying kid gets kidnapped at one point which results in a car chase with three generations of Z cars visible in less than 1 minute of screen time.

post-2948-027808000 1307769204_thumb.jpg

post-2948-098819100 1307769214_thumb.jpg

post-2948-029257600 1307769224_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...