HybridZ

Old School Photos

RacerX

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish they still made tires that were wide for 14-15" rims. It is getting really hard to find any tire for a 15" rim wider than 225mm...

That top Z looks interesting.

Yours is always cool to see that custom framework. Definitely different and cool. It seems that most people don't want to venture out into custom flares or fenders anymore...If they do it is fiberglass bond-on pieces. Boodlefoof is one who as gone all out custom and is really cool

Personally I prefer a full metal body like what you did.

Any old school pics are cool to post...

There is no school like the old school!

Showcars Bodyparts is always selling a Monza IMSA whale tail on ebay for like $150 or so...I think it would look nuts on a z. what else ya got, ernie? Keep em coming!

OTM, the msa hood isn't like that anymore, it looks like there are just slots cut into it now if the pictures are anything to go by.

Racerx,

The IMSA body RX7s' bring back some memories !!!!I wish I had a digital camera 20 years ago. Here is a link to some old school photos enjoy:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/Mid-Ohio-1974-06-30-photo.html

This was e-mailed to me a while back (My disclosure not my photo); It indicates it is the Bob Sharp Garage, but I also read somewhere Datsun/Nissan Motorsports and BSR were selling these cars a couple of years ago ?

BSRShop.jpg

Hayashi wheels are dope! Those AR LeMans wheels look a lot like the 4-spoke work wheels...https://rhdjapan.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1539 has some of those for CHEAP ($75 per wheel)!

What's the deal with the 710? I've never seen one of those on the road before...Were those 4 cylinder cars, or did they use the big dog L engines? Reminds me of the cars from the first Mad Max movie that the police were driving.

ok the pictures are only a couple years old but the car is old school...

325mm wide rear tires...this is the widest cal Z car I have ever seen..

m38323117.jpg

m38323132.jpg

m38323125.jpg

This car had a really weird coilover setup...At least in the front. It uses a standard sized spring and some collar that goes over the spring on the bottom side. The spring is red so I think Eibach. It also has the aluminum ball Gmachine T/C rod kit so I don't think this was a drag car. I don't know what rear end is in the car. I could not see uder the rear of the car it was so low.

I ike the exhaust tips...it had 2 more jst like this on the other side. Missing the whale tail...

m38323141.jpg

Another reason I don't think it was a drag car...look at that HUGE swaybar. Oh the car had a Chevy motor in it but it is long since gone. BTW the wiring isn't that great in the car...

m38323161.jpg

m38324624.jpg

Which engine mounts are those? JTR, SCARAB, Other?

The rival of the Zcar! You'll find this "very interesting" reading in regards to the Zcar.

The 2000GT made its debut at the 1965 Tokyo Motor Show. However it took another 2 years before it went on sale. In 1967, it had a price tag topping out at $7000!

It is suggested that the origin of the car was a design carried out by freelance US/German designer Albrecht Goertz, who had designed the BMW 507 and later had a hand in the Datsun 240Z. Although built by Yamaha, Goertz had originally penned the car for Nissan, but they turned it down - probably because its sophistication and cost were too high for the production and marketing plans they were making. Yamaha then turned to Toyota, who decided to put the car into production.

Raymond Loewy of Yamaha was responsible for the design. The product was originally intended for Nissan but the company decided not to implement the design. The design was proposed to Toyota who accepted the design.

etc

Racer X,

Please don't take this personally ( and I'm sure you must have cut-and-pasted from somewhere - or at least I hope you did ) but the above paragraphs are complete crap.

And "Raymond Loewy of Yamaha"???????!!!!!! That especially is a new one on me.

May I suggest that anybody who is seriously interested in learning about the true history of the Toyota 2000GT invests in Shin Yoshikawa's excellent book, 'Toyota 2000GT, The Complete History Of Japan's First Supercar', published by K.A.I. ( ISBN 0-932128-10-6 ).

For the record, Goertz was involved with the A550X design study - which was nothing to do with the Toyota 2000GT or the S30-series Z. Goertz was directly involved with neither the Toyota or the Nissan.

Satoru Nozaki was the designer of the Toyota 2000GT under project chief Jiro Kawano, along with Shinichi Yamazaki ( chassis / suspension ), Hidemasa Takagi ( engine development ), Shihomi Hosoya ( assistant designer and development driver ) and Eizo Matsuda ( test driver ).

Yoshihiko Matsuo was the chief designer of the S30-series Nissan Z, along with Akio Yoshida ( interior & exterior styling ), Hitoshi Uemura ( Suspension / drivetrain ), Itsuki Chiba ( interior ), Tsuneo Benitani and Hidemi Kamahara ( engineering ) and a cast of many others. Goertz had absolutely nothing to do with the Z.

The people who did the real work deserve the credit, not the liars.

Alan T.

i have AR on my z foudn them in the back of the car when i bought it . . . they are quite old by the looks of them cleaned them up and colored them black . .. not to heavy either hmmmmmmm

QUOTE=RacerX;707413]Racing Wheels.

This is a rare ad where Pete Brock of BRE fame is endorsing American Racing Wheels. In the 1970's their manufacturing plant was over the hill from my house - located in Brisbane, CA. You could order any offset you wanted at no extra cost back in the 1970's!! The "lemans" wheel that was used on the BRE cars are extremely rare. Can you imagine I had a set of four and a spare; total of 5 of the original Lemans wheels. I got rid of them in the early 1980's when I became the Mazda RX7 rep for the SF bay area and I was building a promotional vehicle for an alloy company - named "Hayashi Racing". They just came to California and I made contact somehow with the Hayashi Racing Rep. I'll abbreviate the story - they made me a set of custom 14"x10" wide wheels for the RX7 IMSA flares.

How I wish I had those wheels now - arrrrgghhh!!

PeteBrockBuyAmericanWheelAd.jpg