HybridZ

Initial tuning results for TEC3/GT42R...

TimZ

Well, it looks like the new turbo has some serious potential...

(take the HP number with a grain of salt, but it's been surprisingly close so far...)

HPPlot1.jpg

Some Details:

The reference plot here (thin line) was a run with the old setup (TEC2, T64, o-trim .84AR). Notice the substantially lower boost levels with the new setup.

While I had the car down for this rework, I double checked the TDC marks on the crank damper, and found that I had been using the wrong timing mark on the BHJ damper. I corrected this, so the timing is now ~4.5 degrees advanced from where it was (i.e., 0 degrees indicated on the old setup was really -4.5 degrees. Now 0 degrees is 0 degrees)

A couple of things that are perplexing me...

I'm seeing REALLY high EGTs - on the run above, I exceeded 1700 degF :shock::shock::shock:

My AFRs are dead nuts on 12:1 on boost - I'm going to try going to 11.5:1.

I've been adding in timing, and the temps have come down to the low 1600's , but it seems like I've got an awful lot of advance now...

HPPlot2.jpg

The reference plot here is the run in the first pic.

...on this run I'm seeing 30 degrees advance at 17 psi, which seems like alot. I've not heard much as far as detonation yet, but this is making me really nervous.

This turbo has radically less backpressure than the old T64 - could that be causing the higher temps and allowing/requiring the increased timing? I'm a bit confused at this, seeing as how the rest of the setup (engine, cam, intake) is the same as before.

I'm also using the new Defi gauges, so it could be apples and oranges comparing to the old VDO gauge. Both probes measured at the turbine inlet, but the new probe is oriented a bit differently -more directly in the flow path.

Another weird thing - I seem to be getting some boost creep now, which never happened before - this is a 60mm wastegate with it's own 2.25" downpipe. Not sure what to make of that, either. When boost first stabilizes, I seem to be at around 16psi, then it creeps to 19psi by 7000rpm. It would be really nice to be able to get beyond this EGT thing and see what it does at 24psi...

Went back out again the next day and backed the timing off a bit and added fuel. This seemed to be helping, so I turned the wick up a bit...

HPPlot3.jpg

I think it helps somewhat at higher boost levels, simply because you get there quicker and things don't have as much time to heat up. :mrgreen:

Soooooo... Next problem:

TimePlot1.jpg

...looks like I just ran out of injector (72lb/hr, with a base pressure of 50psi, so they were flowing 77lb/hr). James just sent me some bigger (150lb/hr) injectors - looks like I'm gonna have to break them out sooner than I thought.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to go Tim!!! thats one hellufa monster L6 motor you got going there....

And some claim its got to be a F54/ P90 to put out any serious power.... I say your N42/ N42 speaks for itself.... :eek:

Lets hope that sweet custom T-5 holds up to that kind of punishment. I'm certain the R230/ KAAZ will hold up...

I wish the heck there were some vid's to watch of you putting your foot to the floor in that beast... :burnout:

Hold crap cakes Tim! Thats amazing, is that whp or crank? Either way DAMN!

Your AFR and EGT number are contradicting each other - which I am sure you know, so thats puzzling. 1700F would have me cowering. Where are you taking your EGT reading?

Love to hear more about your set-up especially as you tune it.

SIMPLY AWESOME!

Regards - Yasin

Hold crap cakes Tim! Thats amazing, is that whp or crank? Either way DAMN!

Your AFR and EGT number are contradicting each other - which I am sure you know, so thats puzzling. 1700F would have me cowering. Where are you taking your EGT reading?

Love to hear more about your set-up especially as you tune it.

SIMPLY AWESOME!

Regards - Yasin

Thanks Yasin - it's a measurement derived from 3rd gear WOT acceleration, so it's rwhp. I generally use it to gauge my progress more than absolute power measurement, so that's why I said "take it with a grain of salt". That said, the numbers that it comes up with have been pretty surprisingly consistent with actual dyno measurements.

Just as a double-check, I also back-calculated the power level that would result from my injectors going static, given the BSFC that I calculated from my last dyno pull, and that number came out in the same ballpark (actually a little higher, depending on what drivetrain loss number you pick- I used 15%)

The new EGT probe is located in the spacer between the header and the turbine housing, so it's directly in the flow path. The old probe was mounted in the header at the transition point between the WG and turbo flanges. I just moved it because the old location proved to not be particularly serviceable.

Tim..

simply amazing..

what transmission are you running? just a custom built T-5?!! whowowowa

and OMG .. I cant believe these numbers! thats crazy! especially at 16psi creeping to 19psi! Unless I read it too quickly..

Also what gas were you running? 110 race fuel? 93 pump gas? nitrous? meth? water injection?

Excuse my ignorance.. ive viewed your Ohh Wilma thread... but what the hell are you running very briefly? stroker? camshaft? head work? I see ITB's and a HUGE turbo.. but.. please!

Tim..

simply amazing..

what transmission are you running? just a custom built T-5?!! whowowowa

and OMG .. I cant believe these numbers! thats crazy! especially at 16psi creeping to 19psi!

Excuse my ignorance.. ive viewed your Ohh Wilma thread... but what the hell are you running very briefly? stroker? camshaft? head work? I see ITB's and a HUGE turbo.. but.. please!

It's a GForce T5, built into a customized datsun t5 form factor (Datsun t5 bellhousing, Ford WC T5 gear case, modified Datsun T5 tailshaft housing). R230 rearend with a KAAZ limited slip and all of Ross Corrigan's finest pieces connecting it to the wheels.

I have to say I'm as (happily) surprised as anyone.. James Thagard talked me into the turbo, but I was skeptical - it just seemed too optimistic. It does take it a bit longer to come on, but when it does, DAMN! :mrgreen:

As far as mods - all of the above. I've been refining this engine for years, now - I bought the car in 1980 - it's the same block that came with the car. Okay, so just about everything else has changed...

Again - take the numbers with a grain of salt until I can get the bigger injectors up and running and some dyno time, but this is looking pretty encouraging.

Tim - I am still in awe....I actually had a perma smile on my face all day yesterday thinking about the power you are putting down...one of BMW M3 friends came by in the afternoon and I showed him this thread and he left with his tail between his legs...VERY humbled. You know how these BMW guys can get!

That's a pretty sweet tranny set-up you have too.

Hope the new injectors make a difference and the further tuning goes well.

Regards - Yasin