HybridZ

building a turbo header w/ sched 40 weld pipe

OlderThanMe

When i got it all tacked together it looks like i'm definately going to have to redo that bum runner [seen at top] my advice is to buy a pre-made collector, unless you've got a really nice metal chop saw[which i dont], and the time to make this...all day[for me at least]

collectorfab005.jpg

collectorfab006.jpg

collectorfab003.jpg

woo 400 posts!

heres the mask in case you were wondering

collectorfab007.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 81na ZX
I made mine from schedule 40 mild steel weld els and straight pipe. It's really not that heavy, in fact it's lighter than the cast stock log manifold on the 7m-gte. The other thing is you can get pvc pipe that is exactly the same outside diameter so it's easy to mock up the length for the straight pieces.

Ironically, the PVC pipe is also schedule 40 ;) . That means its good for drinking water.

Not bad at all for the first try. The first one i made was way off. How do you plan on welding the collector together? Trying to get the tig torch in there looks difficult.

from what ive read over at honda-tech, [which has a pretty good weld/fab sub forum] you turn up the argon flow and have a longer electrode stick out...

i've also seen people weld a little square-ish piece in the valley of the collector.

just 2nd hand info, as i havent gotten to that point obviously.

Lunar: don't just turn up the flow...that is honda thinking...Just crank it up and it will work better. NOT SO!!!

If you crank it up too far for that particular size nozzle you will get turbulance and will get oxygen in contact with hot (red hot) tungsten...not good.

You will need to back purge it.

OTM, are you planning to have two turbos share one air filter? if so, why? what is the thing labeled number 1, a pop-off valve or something? If it's a blow-off valve, it's in the wrong place, it should be on the part of the intake between the throttle body and the turbo compressor outlet. If it's a pop-off valve, it's still in the wrong place :wink:

It's a bypass valve so when the second turbo spools and pulls a vacuum on the first turbo it will open up and bypass air around the first turbo. It could be microprosessor controled or hooked up mechanically to a vacuum switch.

Pretty good solution to the airflow limiting problem with the high pressure turbo I think.

2 and 3 are just wastegates.

from what ive read over at honda-tech, [which has a pretty good weld/fab sub forum] you turn up the argon flow and have a longer electrode stick out...

i've also seen people weld a little square-ish piece in the valley of the collector.

just 2nd hand info, as i havent gotten to that point obviously.

can you not buy wand attachments that allow the electrode to be still be charged properly, and come out further into the area you're trying to weld without sagging or increasing chance of the entire electrode zapping itself and causing spatter all over the inside of the tube? I wouldn't wanna clean that up with a dremel, because I doubt there are dremmel bits that would spin at a balanced rotation with a bit-shaft long enough to get in there, and strong enough to whitstand forceful pressure to grind down the spatter aswell.

if not, is there anyone who works for a welding distributor? that may be a good idea to shoot to your suppliers, the whole extended wand thingy . :icon7:

Hi,

I never have posted before on a forum, but I had some pics of my turbo headers I just finished tacking up, so I figured I would show it. It is made of 321 16g stainless u-bends that were cut in segments. A total of 3 different radii were used to get the smooth flow and equal length. The picture of the merge collector on the previous link reminded me of what I built so I thought I would share some pics for once. Check out the mock-up tubes, They are corigated cardboard 1-5/8 and hold there shape when bent. Simply cut all 6 to the same length and plan out your routing. Build each tube in segments replacing the mock up tubes as you go. It actually took many hours to get the flow of the tubes to be what I wanted, but was fun and challenging. The merge collector was formed from 15 degree tubes and spliced together, the second half was hand formed over a steel form CNC machined from a solid model I created in Pro-e. I will polish all the tacked tubes, break it apart and finish welding it together leaving the heat zones like on the finished merge collector. I hope you enjoy the pictures, maybe I will get around to posting other parts for my car that I have fabricated.

2-17-06 149_thumb.jpg

12-01-06 001_thumb.jpg

12-01-06 002_thumb.jpg

12-01-06 003_thumb.jpg

12-01-06 004_thumb.jpg