HybridZ

The Holset turbo FAQ

OlderThanMe

Well since it is pretty much impossible to find any graphs for any holset I figured that I would write this FAQ so that all the Holset info is in one place.

The HY35W seems to be the turbo of choice for several L6 Z guys.

Here are some graphs and charts. From what I have seen they are good to around 550 horsepower.

The graph shows what holsets came when on the dodge trucks. Then there are three pics of a HX-35 that has aftermarket parts on it. Specifically an aftermarket 38mm internal wastegate and aftermarket wheels.

The picture with the measuring tape is a HY35(W)

Companies dealing with Holsets

Upgrades

proper cool down times for a holset turbo

This is from the Ram Service Manual

• Stop & Go, Load - Empty, Turbocharger temp - Cool, Idle Time...Less than 1 min.
  • Stop & Go, Load - Medium, Turbocharger temp - Warm, Idle Time - 1 min
  • Highway Spds., Load - Medium, Turbocharger temp - Warm, Idle Time - 2 min.
  • City Traffic, Load - Max GCWR, Turbocharger temp - Warm, Idle Time - 3 min
  • Highway Spds., Load - Max GCWR, Turbocharger temp - Warm, Idle Time - 4 min.
  • Uphill Grade, Load - Max GCWR, Turbocharger temp - Hot!!, Idle Time - 5 min.

I will keep adding to this FAQ as I get more info. I will get a flow graph up in a little bit for the HY35.

CumminsSpecsA_thumb.jpg

Holset1_thumb.jpg

Holset2_thumb.jpg

Holset3_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Taking contributions?

Here's an interesting map I found for either the HX35 or HY35, not sure which... of all places its on Garrett's site. What's interesting is it follows what everyone says about it being a very wide map. Take a look here:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/products/turbo_kits/turbo_kit_pdfs/CompmapCummins.pdf

• 5 months later...

Are you guys sure about those compressor maps? I've heard there are lots of mislabeled Holset maps floating around. If that's really a HY-35 map then thanks very much for posting it! Just wanted to make sure you are certain it's authentic.

this is for a h1e, which is pretty similar. sorry for the quality, i had to take a pic of my comp. screen.

I sent an e-mail to holset a while ago with the tag # on my hx35 and they sent me back a map for a hx30 in pdf form. I can send it to somebody if they want to convert it and upload it.

Shameless plug: I'm also selling my hx35 soon. it's got a bullseye 12 cm housing setup for external wastegate and has a fresh rebuild. ZERO shaft play. Stock hotside housing also available, with internal wastegate setup included.

IMG_1766.jpg

Going by airflow, the first map is definitely not a 35 map but the second map may be very, very close. The ~52 lbs/min in the first map roughly equals .42 kg/sec and Holset rates the HX35 at .46 kg/sec, which is closer to 60 lbs/min like in the second map.

Also, the first map seems awful inefficient for a 35, the 79% of the second map would make much more sense to me.

this is for a h1e, which is pretty similar. sorry for the quality, i had to take a pic of my comp. screen.

I sent an e-mail to holset a while ago with the tag # on my hx35 and they sent me back a map for a hx30 in pdf form. I can send it to somebody if they want to convert it and upload it.

HX30e or HX30W? From what I've heard they are very different. I've seen an HX30E map, but I don't know where you would buy one of those. Never seen an authentic HX30W map.

• 7 months later...

The smallest map is an HX40

The standard high flow HX40 shows 80 or 60 lbs/min

The tallest is a "super 40" from Holset's aftermarket division.

The super 40 map shows a little over 90 for the "massflow perameter" or 68 lbs/min

The wide one is a Holset HX52

The HX52 is 115. This corresponds to 87 lbs/min.

w131879451.jpg

Here is another H1E map.

w131879413.jpg

here's one similar to above but this is from holset

holsetmap.jpg

This map shows the pro-52 flowing damn near 120

The compressor wheel is 71mm and comes with a 16/cm2 exhaust housing with 70mm turbine wheel. basicly a hx55/hx40 hybrid but has newly designed wheels (2004?)and a special high flowing turbine trim.

Diesel guys push this turbo to over 50 psi on a regular basis about 600hp.. but thats diesel HP. On a gas motor this is a 1000+hp turbo.

There is also another hx52 turbo non "PRO" that came on volvo diesel trucks. it has a 67mm compressor wheel and a smaller shaft than the PRO52 so it cant be pushed as hard.

I have a pro-52 for sale in classifieds if anyones interested

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

on my first hy35 from an 06 dodge running 20-25lbs boost and had the oil pump set a bit higher than stock oil psi the turbo started smoking after about a year, so rebuilt it lowered the oil psi back to stock put it back in. Installed turbo timer, set at 3min at every shutdown holset started smoking again after about 4 months. Bought hy35 #2 running 25lbs boost, stock oil psi, 3min cool down at shutdown, turbo started smoking again after about 3-4 months! Rebuilt this one and now only run 10lbs boost.

The chart above shows a waste gate of 36lbs? With my boost controller open ALL the way the most I could get from this turbo was 26lbs boost. I think I've been maxing this baby out. I never really noticed that the controller was maxed out. I was just driving and setting it to 25, which was just a %$#@ hair from maxed.

Morel of the story Holset hy35 good for 10-17lbs, but your pushing it if you go higher. Now I DRIVE my car, this is my daily driver. I love this car, I love to drive it, I love the thumbs up I get down the road, I love the power, and I use the power ALLOT!

I'm going to buy a Garrett GT35R next week $1300 brand new ball bearing. My first hy was $500, the 2nd was $400. I'm done with them.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I know the wastegate seem to work pretty well on the ones that are installed on Dodge Trucks. As most of them are run hard, run at semi high RPM's while towing and they never seem to leak on those vehicles, I mean a lot of the guys that do the tractor pulls with their trucks are running pretty much stock turbos and wastegates when they first get started before they start upgrading!!

Morel of the story Holset hy35 good for 10-17lbs, but your pushing it if you go higher. Now I DRIVE my car, this is my daily driver. I love this car, I love to drive it, I love the thumbs up I get down the road, I love the power, and I use the power ALLOT!

I'm going to buy a Garrett GT35R next week $1300 brand new ball bearing. My first hy was $500, the 2nd was $400. I'm done with them.

I've seen the stock holsets run 30-35psi on the cummins no problem, plenty reliable. I think maybe the issue is related to higher exhaust temps more than boost pressure. It sure will be cool to see what Phil's car can do with a GT35R on it though! :)