HybridZ

Rotisserie

alexideways

Question: what is the best way to mesure the rotisserie's hight so the top of the car does'nt touch the ground when flipped over or for it to NOT be so off centered that it'd make it impossible to rotate it?

Also, I'm looking at using some used BMW hubs and bearings for the rotating parts so, I was wondering if I could use a brake caliper

activated by a lever on a master cylinder to lock it in place?? Maybe on at each end to make sure???

Thanks.

Question: what is the best way to mesure the rotisserie's hight so the top of the car does'nt touch the ground when flipped over or for it to NOT be so off centered that it'd make it impossible to rotate it?

Also, I'm looking at using some used BMW hubs and bearings for the rotating parts so, I was wondering if I could use a brake caliper

activated by a lever on a master cylinder to lock it in place?? Maybe on at each end to make sure???

Thanks.

Your method of locking it down seems overly complex. Mine is made from engine stands, and has the same pin that slides into a hole to lock it in place.

Here is a thread with height info. Mine clears by about 3 inches, and I think I made mine about 3" taller than what was suggested in that thread.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=104151

Thanks Jon.

I wonder why this tread did'nt caught my attention when I searched, maybe I was allready sleeping when I asked.

Anyways thanks for bringing it to the top, I actually saw your post in the other tread before I saw your answer here.

Did you build something simillar for the pivot point. Have any mesurements?

A friend here in Orlando built his own and it includes air jacks ( like from engine hoist) connected by a commun air hose that allows for air to raise the hight of the car and a flexplate crank that allows for the spinning of the car 360 degrees. Other features are that the whole assembly is mounted on four tires and a tow hitch that allows the assembly with the car to be towed to your next destinatination for the necessary work to be done.

http://album.hybridz.org/data/500/medium/Rotissserie_plus_1.jpg

• Administrators
A friend here in Orlando built his own and it includes air jacks ( like from engine hoist) connected by a commun air hose that allows for air to raise the hight of the car and a flexplate crank that allows for the spinning of the car 360 degrees. Other features are that the whole assembly is mounted on four tires and a tow hitch that allows the assembly with the car to be towed to your next destinatination for the necessary work to be done.

ORKLC,

Thanks for the photo link addition.

Now, about that 11 second Datsun 1200 in your signature… Would you be so kind as to either start up another thread about your car or put it in members projects? You know, pics, more details, etc…. Very intriguing…

picture_00413.jpghere is mine this works well. I used a steel post fastened to a chanel iron conected to the bumper suports, This is just a little larger than the suport post. You just jack the car up and dril a hole for a pin at any hight. This is simple and time consuming, but all it cost was some time and scrap metal. I later put some casters on this. You can check out my album and see mine fliped.

when i was building mine the i was more worried about hitting the low hanging beams in my shop. and i built the hight of the rottrisris so it teloscopes so when setting it up with the car on jacks i just move the rotisrie around the car and set. the height like that. i put large castors on the bottom and it made the unit relly nice.

Built mine last week and had a few hiccups. I used two engine stands and made the height adjustable via castor brackets. The problem was that the inward facing leg moved with the adjustment and it didn't actually create any improved clearance. Remember the body is more likely to contact the inner rotisserie legs before the garage floor. To sovle the problem I cut the vertical tube to insert a 400 mm extension piece, however when I took half to the steel supplier he didn't have the same profile. I had to reconstruct the vertical tube with a whole new piece. Costly and timely.

heres a pic of mine the only thing i would change is the way it locks. im using a pin that goes through the hub assembly . and i uesd a jam bolt for a whial that worked relly well but chewed the inner tube to much. another idea i had was use a hand crank that used a mega gear reduction so spin the thing. much like a hand winch. you could use a ratchet to lock it out to. http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=12633&cat=500&ppuser=12917

I've been trying for 2 years to buy a pair of old frame jacks from the local Dodge dealer but the *&%#%*^&%^%# won't sell them.:fmad::cuss:

Sure would have been nice to be able to weld up a rotisserie adapter to them and bolt the to each end of the car, hook up the air hose and raise the car to whatever height I wanted and lock it in place. Would have been like having the benefits of both a rotiserrie and a post lift in one.

I'm waiting for the day they forget to lock the gate to the open shed where they keep them....:toetap05:

One of the guys on another forum that I know used to sell a rotisserie in kit form, all you had to do was weld up the pieces, but I think he has gotten too busy with his new job to do it anymore.

i'm actually kind of thinking about selling mine. came with my first Z i bought a couple years ago, the car was actually on the rotisserie when i went to look at it.

hey what better way to check out a chassis, right?

"so.. how's it look underneath?!"

*flicks wrist*

"BAAAAAAAM"

You guys are over complicating things. Most of you guys probably use it once and will never use it again. To me you don't need to spend too much time and effort into it. Yes I understand there is a safety issue involve here but you won't be working under the car right? That's why you build the rotisserie.

I spent 2 hours and using metals I found around my garage to build my rotisserie. I used 2 metal saw-horses that I had in my garage to support the car. I just need to weld up the strong brackets to mount to the car. Then the whole thing just sits on top of the saw-horses. The saw-horses I got are adjustable in height. I've been working on my friend's Z and the Z been sitting on the rotisserie for a few months without any problem. Here are a few pictures.

2090101_89_full.jpg

Man I better put on my flame suite now.. also you can see my friend here got used to working on the floor. Even with the rotisserie he is still working from the bottom. That's what you get for smoking too much lol.