HybridZ

240 t-top?

zedsaid

Have you seen anyone who got the itch to swap t-tops to a z?

I've searched here and on other forums, and came up with nothing... I figured i'd ask here because there are a lot of creative ideas floating about on this site as opposed to the more "stock" sites. (Even if most of the ideas are geared toward performance, and this would be far from it.)

I'm not sure how well the lines would work, i know next to nothing about welding... but i love my t-tops in my 280zx, and eventually intend to take a 260z to the limit. This is a mod i'm considering... of course i need that second car first ;)

I'm guessing that door size will be an issue. May not be able to swap... custom glass? sorry train of thought... anyone seen anything like this?

wow i sound like the n00b that i am.

Thanks so much. I thought i'd done a search at zhome.

Very cool, so at least i know it's doable.... as to the rigidity of the chassis there's got to be a way to compensate. Maybe not a full roll cage (gonna be street, and twisties), but a few strategically placed bars should help. I'm not an engineer, but before i make the attempt i'll do a lot of reading on the subject, and much more research.

Just encouraging that it's doable. (then again i'm sure pretty much anything is possible with enough money to fab it.)

z

The roof section on a T Top ZX is probably much stronger, ridgid, than a Z roof. The openings for the tops is formed into channels, the center section is multiple pieces of sheet metal sandwhiched together, all that formed and stamped steel is much stronger than just a flat section of roof. I think most of the strength in a S30 or S130 chassis is in the inner and outer rocker panels and the trans tunnel.

The roof section on a T Top ZX is probably much stronger, ridgid, than a Z roof. The openings for the tops is formed into channels, the center section is multiple pieces of sheet metal sandwhiched together, all that formed and stamped steel is much stronger than just a flat section of roof. I think most of the strength in a S30 or S130 chassis is in the inner and outer rocker panels and the trans tunnel.

I agree, the roof on a z is very light weight steel. I think with a little reinforcement it would be very strong and work just fine.

I have a buddy that rolled a ZX, T tops popped out but roof held up, rolled three times ended up upside down, no injury had seat belts on, he told me while trying to get the seat belt off while upside down the voice warning system was saying " your lights are on".