HybridZ

240Z AWD Conversion

Nemesis280zx

they grafted the gtr subframe onto the s30 frame rails? think about that.. it wouldnt just slide in.. like said a few posts earlier.. im not sure it would have been easier to just build a new one. again.. your taking major front end work. The main point i was trying to make.. which is the one people keep asking is that its take a whole lot of fabrication. I think a lot of people post asking about this hoping that we have found or know of some trick combining off the shelf parts or whatever that makes it a near bolt on affair. so fine.. they fabbed a bunch of mounts/brackets etc to allow a gtr subframe to work inside the s30 rails.. that just reiterates the point of my post.. no matter how you cut it.. your going to have to do some major work. the way we are going to tackle it we are hoping to use all bolt in gtr stuff as well.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well i spent most of the morning looking for the AWD Z websight. there was one out there that showed engine compartment before engine was installed also showed good pics of the rear shock towers. It was all gtr. didnt show exactly how they did it but im guessing they picked up some points that where close between the Z chassis and the gtr chassis then fabricated everything else to close everything up.

If i ever tried to do it i would have a tube chassis built to hold the gtr drivetrain then put a z body over it. would be about the esiest/safest way to do it.

if you look at the post i made in the old thread.. thats almost exactly what we are doing. full tube chassis. we welded the z body shut and cut the insides out.. we are just gonna drop it down. but we built the tube frame to hold all the stock gtr suspension and brakes etc. the only different is we will have to shorten up the driveshaft it looks like.. and only by a small bit.

Well i spent most of the morning looking for the AWD Z websight. there was one out there that showed engine compartment before engine was installed also showed good pics of the rear shock towers. It was all gtr. didnt show exactly how they did it but im guessing they picked up some points that where close between the Z chassis and the gtr chassis then fabricated everything else to close everything up.

If i ever tried to do it i would have a tube chassis built to hold the gtr drivetrain then put a z body over it. would be about the esiest/safest way to do it.

I wonder how they tackled the track width from gtr to S30. I would assume that the gtr would wider than a Z.

There is a 4WD 2+2 in Australia, has a Chev V8 in it from memory. No link or futher info sorry, saw a video of it doing a hillclimb, you may be able to search that.

EDIT Ah yes, the Mackrell Z, thats it, see boy form oz's earlier post.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Ummm... Ok, look at the top left picture of that magazine. What do you see? I see big rear tires, all up in smoke, and little skinny front tires, not doing a damn thing. Kinda defeats the point of AWD doesn't it?? :?

And that intercooler... :icon53: I mean it looks like that Z choked on a small forklift. Why the heck did they paint it in yellow stripes??

Ummm... Ok, look at the top left picture of that magazine. What do you see? I see big rear tires, all up in smoke, and little skinny front tires, not doing a damn thing. Kinda defeats the point of AWD doesn't it?? :?

And that intercooler... :icon53: I mean it looks like that Z choked on a small forklift. Why the heck did they paint it in yellow stripes??

That would be because you can disable the AWD during a burnout....

Its not painted with yellow stripes it's just how the scan came out.

the rear only smoke is probably because of the way the GT-R drivetrain works. it's rearwheel drive all the time, until the tires start to slip. they probably have a way to turn attesa off and run it full time rearwheel drive. and those front tires aren't really THAT skinny. if they were wider don't you think the car would look funny?

talk about thread un-buried :P

Since I've been building my frame, in hind sight, I think its not as difficult as it may seem. But thats just in terms of getting it to work. having it go down the road straight, instead of crab walking is another story. :P

talk about thread un-buried :P

Since I've been building my frame, in hind sight, I think its not as difficult as it may seem. But thats just in terms of getting it to work. having it go down the road straight, instead of crab walking is another story. :P

Building a frame?

The bigest obstacle from my point of view would be to move the engine backwards to its original (240Z) position. It will require repositioning the front diff in the sump to keep the shafts in line with the hubs. Some 120mm towards the front of the engine... New engine mounts and space frame looks like walk in the park by comparision.

m

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Just raising a dead beaten horse from the grave at the bottom of the sea,

Please have a look at my thread, which has begun an AWD/4WD type converstion.

Gearbox beng fitted now.

Gaijin

I wouldnt think that you MUST use the GTR front suspension - double wishbone.

McPherson strut & hub?

= Evo/STI Mitsi GTO amongst many others. These run a front mounted steering rack = same as 240z

Rear end, not a major, been done enough times.

Front Diff reposition, you would be crazy not too, certainly not impossible nor too hard, youll need to make a new pan, since moving the diff forward kills the exisiting pan and oil pickup.

Run gtr front axles, mate to STI/EVO axles and hubs.

New longer length front driveshaft,

new shorter one peice rear driveshaft,

Modify front crossmember, probably a new tube section cro-mo, repositioned steering rack, longer steering arms.

The Attessa/ETS 4wd system is best from a R32 GTR as the ABS computer is seperate.

You will need the ETS pump, actuator, tank in the boot, hoses and some loom, G force sensor, wheel speed sensors at the front.

Diffs are both 4.111 ratio, so make the tire radius the same all around.

Wiring diagram required.

Some signal emulation requried for the ETS ECU (the 4wd/attessa ECU that outputs signal to the ETS pump, which provides the pressure to the transfer case engaging the multiplate clutch to send drive to the front diff/wheels.

There you go, sorted...........................

I have all the main parts required.

I am about to get hold of the ETS ECU, pumps sensors etc so I can dry run the system and get it working.

No promises, but If I stay employed, Ill keep going to get some 4wd drifts happening.

But then you would probable end up with front diff lubrication problems with it being further from the sump.

how about just buying a GTR :P I agree with the tube frame adie, it would be the "easiest" way. Other than that ... here comse the famous one agian; 'with enough time and money anything can be made to fit into anything'

• 3 months later...