HybridZ

Bad News for my Motor, internal damage :(

240hoke

So today I took out my engine and tore it down. The reason I was tearing it down was to find and mark exact TDC for more accurate tuning and to install some ARP rod bolts. I was also wanting to double check my cam timing as my car had always been kinda hard to start and lately had seemed to be missing a little at idle.

Turns out my timing was dead on, but I found something much worse: piston damage mainly concentrated on #6 with a little on #5. It looks like something got inside my motor and bounced around for a little while.

Whatever it was it was big enough to damage the motor but small enough to not do any damage whatsoever to the turbo. These are Forged and ceramic coated JE pistons that are less then a year old (Notice the ceramic coating!! :icon53:.... perfect for turbo/nitrous applications my ASS).

Piston Damage:

l28_damage_031.sized.jpg

Head Damage:

l28_damage_030.sized.jpg

The dimples were enough to pinch the top compression ring so much so I cant remove it with any resonable force.

Scoring on the sides:

l28_damage_033.sized.jpg

Scoring on hte main bearings

l28_damage_035.sized.jpg

So thats where im at right now, I honestly dont know how it happened, but it did. Not exactly sure what to do at this point either. There is no crank or block damage that i can see at all. Another thing wierd I noticed is i can wiggle the pistons a bit in there bores :ugg:

Your thoughts and suggestions please, if yall think this is bad enough to warrant a rebuild i may just be junking the L28 all together.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, just a regular ol t3 center section. Perhaps it got demolished in the combustion chamber or the damage occured at idle while the turbine speed was slow enough to not be damaged. i dunno if this is what was causing my motor is miss a little, it could have been like this since day one for all I know.

Those bearing have a good many miles on them, they were in the motor since Ive had the old 260. But I inspected and reinstalled then when i put the new forged pistons in last year and they were perfect. Its been just a couple thousand miles since then. My guess is the pressure from the object caused extra stress on the bearings.

I wasnt tearing the motor down because I thought something was wrong i was just double checking stuff really. This surprised me.

heres what that coating used to look like LOL:

Picture_071.sized.jpg

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Did you have anything like the rods "Shot Peened"? It could be a piece that was hidden in a nook or cranny that came loose after assembly. Just a thought.

Jeff

Bummer Austin.

I am sorry to see the damage.

It does look like detonation. The #6 cylinder runs the hottest (furthest from the water pump) and then the #5 is second. As far as the bearings, well, I am not surprised to see the wear if they have been used on more than one motor.

Can't agree with you J. The pattern is too symetrical on both the head and the piston. Looks more like FOD (Foreign Object Damage). Something got sucked in and compressed between the piston and the head...notice the edge of the piston is marked too?

I agree with warren and have a hard time believing its detonation. Note especially the raised lip around the dimples and the dimples on the edge of the dish.

looks more like a "cold" deformation I guess you could say. But i dunno, I was running some pretty crazy advance at SEZ so umm perhaps it was detonation :oops:

Heres a picture of detonation I found on gooogle:

Detonation2.JPG

The bearings were in the same motor just the motor was put in a different car with different pistons.

There was no shotpeening done, right now im thinking perhaps MIG slag from the I/C pipes. I blew rings lands on #1 before I did anything else on my last rebuilds with stock pistons, seems like 1 and 6 are the quickest to go due to intake design and as you said cooling on 6

I'm having to agree with FOD, detonation would make something similar, but more looking like a "sponge" as shown in that last photo, and if it's detonating in #6, that severely, you would see similar formations, only less as dramatic in the other chambers as well.

I think Austin has it about the bearing damage, the non-compressibility of the object caused an overload on the bearing, and collapsed the oil wedge.

It was something hard, & symetrical. I was in a rush once, and lost an intake washer down the intake on my VW Bus, passed through, but to this day it's hanging on monafilament fishing string from the rearview mirror to remind me not to rush.

What confounds me is the probability of something that small and round getting in there in the first place. Something like a piece of steel shot that was laying on top of the piston, and occasionally made it up to the rim before blowing out the exhaust valve... All that damage could have happened in cranking the engine initially, and once it fired, out the exhaust it went. Usually this severity of damage would be caused during slow mechanical cranking (like with the starter), as during runnning at even idle speed, the kenetic energy of the parts in contact would start breaking stuff, instead of simply making imprints.

That Sucks.

TonyD and Warren,

I agree that it was FOD. I look to the scoring on the piston as further proof. Austin are the pistons in #5 and #6 both scored? What about the others? If it was FOD I believe that the object would have increased the sideloading on the piston as well as the bearing.

Jay

The dimples on the head match the ones on the piston and they only occur where the raised part of the piston came up to the head indicating interference. It definitely looks like it was a BB or a ball bearing. Not detonation. You can probably calculate with some accuracy the sized of the FOD and the number of revolutions that it took to get it out. It came in from one valve and followed the edge of the bore wall, bouncing it's way over to the exhaust valve and out. You were pulling lateral G's at the time which kept it to one side of the bore....hmm.

I agree with the others who say FOD, I also agree with Tony D that it was probably done with the engine being cranked over by the strater and not while running. Any object hard enough to make that many impacts and not be deformed itself in the squish zone (flat part of the head) would have been like the perverbial "bull in a china shop" and done an insane amount of damage at any engine speed above cranking. I would also take a very close look at the valves to see if there is any damage on the back sides or in the runners to indicate how this got into the engine. What confuses me more than the #6 piston is the #5 piston only having a single impact mark??? If you got a piece of something in each of them how did #5 get so lucky by comparison?

Myself being the way that I am the amount of damage you have would warrant a rebuild if it were my engine. Good luck and I hope you solve the mystery.

Dragonfly