HybridZ

Bad News for my Motor, internal damage :(

240hoke

This setup would experience detonation on a regular basis. This setup had all stock internals, except for a steel o-rings with a copper head gasket, and ceramic coated stock pistons. The detonation on this setup was so regular that I had broken ten or so spark plugs, and also blew the copper head gasket.

The next 10k miles were run much more sanely. I put on a megasquirt, brought the AFRs down from 17:1 under boost to 12.5:1 under boost. Still running same boost. [/url]

zguy36, What you put your engine through is down right torture.. : ) I have to believe that the ceramic coatings had some factor in your pistons surviving as well as they did. Great write up!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my understanding of what ceramic coatings are for, is to reduce the heat brought into the piston. This in turn can reduce detonation, due to a colder piston head. But when detonation does occur, the extreme pressures and forces are not reduced by having a coated piston. The coatings may reduce the intensity of the detonation. I think for the most part, I am very lucky that I haven't destroyed each and every piston in this engine.

• 2 months later...

Well I thought I would post and update on this thread since I got the car back together and running.

I am now runnign a new intercooler system and Akycontrol Methonal injection along with ARP rod bolts. I havent done anythign to the motor besides put it together Like i mentioned before.

It runs very strong and smooth, right now i am running 26psi and with the methanol had to take a good bit of fuel out of my MAPs to bring it back up to 11:1. Hopefully I am going to get it on the Dyno at Z nationals, if not I guess the timeslips from SEZ will tell the tale.

Well I thought I would post and update on this thread since I got the car back together and running.

I am now runnign a new intercooler system and Akycontrol Methonal injection along with ARP rod bolts. I havent done anythign to the motor besides put it together Like i mentioned before.

It runs very strong and smooth, right now i am running 26psi and with the methanol had to take a good bit of fuel out of my MAPs to bring it back up to 11:1. Hopefully I am going to get it on the Dyno at Z nationals, if not I guess the timeslips from SEZ will tell the tale.

26psi + methanol!!

Whew, Garrett, look out!!

• Administrators
Im going to make a good writeup on installing methanol shortly (after SEZ)

Wouldn’t want to give the competition the “how-to” till after the big event… wink.gif

Sounds awesome Austin Looking forward to reading the full SEZ report…

Good luck guys and have fun…