HybridZ

Adding Clutches to the CLSD R200

240hoke

I recently finished taking my rear end apart and checking everything out. I ended up not liking the shimmed diff for the street. The diff had serious chatter, and caused the car to understeer. When going around tight corners I could feel the rear end just pushing me. I removed all the shims, dropping it back down to about 40ft/lbs of breakaway. I am now using Redline NS oil with additional friction modifier. I am very happy with the results.

I honestly dont know how many miles I put on hte car since I added the clutches, I would guess around 5K or so. I didnt see any significant wear or galling at all, just the blue surface has worn a bit.

DSC_0001_Large.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a great update and cool pic showing the wear on the clutches, which is very minimal to not even take off all the blued surface. As for handling and stuff, I can see where you are coming from. There are other factors like tires (size and compound), suspension setup (camber, bars & springs, etc) and what you are using the car for will have a big impact on how tight the diff should/can be.

I ran 40 lbs in my LSD in my 510 and worked great on the street, but when I had slicks on at the hillclimb, I'd get severe inside tire spin on the corners. So, big grip and hard corners will (or could) make it feel like an open diff, but that's the only time I had an issue. Thanks for the write up!

• 4 months later...
Guest TurboHatch

I just rebuilt my diff last night using this article. 2 things I noticed are my stock plates and clutches are grooved and slotted not smooth like the replacement ones. The second thing is after removing the spacers and following the exact stacking procedure mentioned i still had 2 of the new clutches left over. of course i guess i could have used them in place 2 of my stock ones but the stock ones are grooved and looked perfect still. in closing make sure that you use a LSD additive or you will get alot of clunking when you turn under power. once you add the additive simply do a few circles left and right in a parking lot to work it all threw the diff and it will be smooth again.

Guest TurboHatch

There was 6 of them total. I didnt buy them they came in a box of stuff that came with the car, but I think they are from the group buy some one on here did. they was wired together with a paper tag that had some numbers on it. perhaps the fella who bought them bought 2 extra or something. I didnt bother shimming it or anything as it worked fine before and if anything should be a little tighter now as the thickness of the 4 clutches added up was a little thicker then the 2 shims added up, roughly .004 or so. oh well looks like i have 2 spares to hang on the wall.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ill take a set how much are they? andykyrk@yahoo.com

Unlike everything else out there, they are still $50 for a set of 4 and $75 for a set of 6 and includes shipping in the USA via Priority Mail. Just got a new batch, so "come & get 'em". :)

Unlike everything else out there, they are still $50 for a set of 4 and $75 for a set of 6 and includes shipping in the USA via Priority Mail. Just got a new batch, so "come & get 'em". :)

I'll take a set. Do I need 6 or four? I have a 300ZX LSD that came with the car. I assume that means I need six from the original writeup. PM me with your paypal info or preferred payment method.

Thanks,

Zack

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I need your help.

I picked up a R200 LSD and bought 6 'clutches' from Savage. I took the diff to a local guy who build r190's for his customers and he and I are a bit confused by what parts I need to complete the 6 clutch setup.

In reading the first post on this topic, it is suggested that the reinstall of the clutches and plates should be in this order:

spring disc

spring disc

clutch

plate

clutch

plate

clutch

center section

clutch

plate

clutch

plate

clutch

spring disc

spring disc

Here's the confusion: when he disassembled the diff/lsd, everything looked good from a wear perspective - but the 6 'clutches' I got are metal, but in the lsd there's only one set of friction 'plates(?)' that is installed from the factory. My question is two fold - 1, the 'clutches' I got from savage are metal which makes me think they are 'plates' because they have no friction material, is this correct? 2, where do I get the extra friction discs, (which I though were the clutches) to complete the setup? I need to get pictures to help you guys out, which I will try and obtain, but I'm confused as from everything I've seen about this topic is that the only parts I'd need is the 'clutches' from Savage. Are the parts I got from Savage the Clutches or the Plates? I bought 6 from savage that have the tabs on the inside.

If the metal pieces I got are the clutches, then what is the name of the other pieces that have the friction material (like a transmission clutch) called?

I have read and re-read this post many times and only seen one post about parts which refers to this link: http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=3102, which confuses me even more.

any help you can provide is much appreciated.

Go back to the very first post in this thread and it's pretty straight forward as to what you need to do. If you want to use all 6 new clutches, then you take out the two existing ones and use all 6. If you retain the 2 OEM clutches, then just add the 4 clutches in the positions in this picture. This is how it's been done with the 100+ units that people have done over the years and not a single problem to date. (that I'm am aware of) Hope this helps.

post-505-095576200 1284742869_thumb.jpg