HybridZ

Adding Clutches to the CLSD R200

240hoke

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go back to the very first post in this thread and it's pretty straight forward as to what you need to do. If you want to use all 6 new clutches, then you take out the two existing ones and use all 6. If you retain the 2 OEM clutches, then just add the 4 clutches in the positions in this picture. This is how it's been done with the 100+ units that people have done over the years and not a single problem to date. (that I'm am aware of) Hope this helps.

Savage. Thanks again for your help.

So, the clutches and the plates are all metal, is this correct? There is no 'friction' material (like a clutch in a transmission) on these LSD units? Sorry for the 'dumb' questions, just a noob looking for help.

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Also remember that these clutches are working in a wet oiled environment. Your clutch on the flywheel is a dry environment. The clutch material that contacts the flywheel is not so different than brake pad material, and we all know that grease on your rotors is BAD for braking. Same thing in a diff. You have to take the oil into account. And in this environment, metal on metal for a clutch won't wear the same as it would dry, and will have a very different break away characteristic compared to dry.

All that being said, I'm reading this reading up on what my options are for converting to a LSD down the road. Does anyone know what the clutch/spacer pack looks like in the power brute carrier? Some seem to say it's a lot like the Nissan unit in the Z31, but I can't find info on what the break away levels are like from as-ordered and if the same clutches could be used, or how many clutches it has in it.

There is a thread where bjhines and I were arguing over this, because I had the Z31 diff apart and he had the Power Brute apart. We were both sure that we were right (we were) and the other was wrong (we weren't). You can look and find that thread if you want, but the basic jist is this (maybe bjhines will see this and fill in any gaps in my memory). The Power Brute has more clutches. I think it has more clutches than a Z31 with clutches added. It has more aggressive ramps on the cross pins, so it puts more pressure on the clutch stack. It has thrust washers on the gears, where the Z31 doesn't. I think that's about it. So basically, it's built stronger and more aggressive in every respect. To the Z31 LSD's credit though, apart from people who strip off the clutches, you don't hear too many people complaining about wheel spin with them.

The LOM-59 unit to fit the R-200s was completely different than the factory unit.

6 disks per side for 12 total

low ramp angles

Forged cross instead of single pin

Zero thrust side gears for constant internal gear lash

very low preload for better turn in

overall larger and stronger components

R200NISMOnumbers2.jpg

NISMOLSDhalfstackhighcontrast.jpg

sidegearthrustwasher.jpg

R200NISMOramps.jpg

• 2 years later...