HybridZ

Where to buy a built SR20DET (S14) motor?

trwebb26

I'm doing some research and have figured out that IF I go with an SR20 motor for my 280 - I'll likely choose an S14 and get it built. I know there HAS to be a ton of shops that sell built motors - but I can't seem to find one online. Can anybody help me?

If you don't know of a shop... what would it cost me to get an SR20 "bulletproofed" (+400 HP).

Thanks!

Isnt Decatur in Michigan? Anyhow if you are close by toward the Chicago IL area, there is a place called "Soko International". They have alot of red tops S13 SR20's and some black top S14. Cheap, last time when i was there sourcing some parts for my car, you can pick one up for about $1500 with a tranny, ecu full loop and etc. S14 usually run a bit higher well over $2k. On the other hand if you want a clean SR20 motor then contact Karim screen name here on forum "Racer98" he can get you a cherry motor just like he got me my RB26 and you wont be dissapointed at all.

As far as buying a build up motor right from scratch could be a risky. There is a shop close by my area that has a bunch of SR20's in stock that they could use for a build up, cost wise is around 7-8K depending on what u want out of it, that was atleast their quote for me on fully build motor with a T-78 turbo.

My sugestion to you is probably geting a clean SR20 motor w/e it is S13, S14 or S15 and moding it as you go along.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've looked around the SR market but from what i remember there are shops like http://www.g-dimension.com and http://www.signalauto.com that are known for building 400+hp SR's for drift cars, you can check them out or like what was said before Tomei builds nice (very pricey) engines if it fits your budget. There are alot of places that build KA-T Crate engines too that I've seen on 240SX forums. You could always just buy a stock SR, do the research and piece one together to your liking.

s14 sr20, a gt 28/71 with the big exhaust housing, metal head gasket, arp studs, NAME BRAND ( i wanted to stress that) rocker arm stoppers, decent sized fmic, 550's should do it but you may wanna go just a hair bigger, walbro 255, z32 maf, and 3" exhaust should put you right at 400hp at about 19-20 psi.

with the 550's you'll be able to run an apexi safc2 which isn't that expensive but if you go a little bigger you're gonna have to run different engine management and or just get your ecu tuned. talk with your tuner about whether or not you should disable the variable valve timing or not. for 400hp i'd probably just go with an s13 sr20 so the vvt wouldn't even be an issue and the motor's a little cheaper....plus you could probably even wire it yourself. the s14's wiring are a pain in the ass to find diagrams for fyi :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Why would you want to go with a Crate SR, youre better of rebuilding it and install some JE, Mahle forged pistons. so that way you can crank up that boost without having to worry to break your motor. My engine builder charges on avarege $800 in labor plus parts to rebuild. He primarily builds race engines, they have all the Mashing equipment in-house, Honing, bohring, Milling, Air Flow Bench ect . Tony Raimondo Racing LLC. in Fayetteville NC

s14 sr20, a gt 28/71 with the big exhaust housing, metal head gasket, arp studs, NAME BRAND ( i wanted to stress that) rocker arm stoppers, decent sized fmic, 550's should do it but you may wanna go just a hair bigger, walbro 255, z32 maf, and 3" exhaust should put you right at 400hp at about 19-20 psi.

I don't know if it's any different for the RWD guys, but rocker arm stoppers are generally considered bad in the FWD SR20DET crowd. You're better off replacing a broken/popped off rocker arm then valves, pistons, rods, and heads that could end up damaged by using a rocker arm stopper.

Also, again, in the FWD crowd, it is not uncommon to see +400hp with just things like injectors, turbo, and EMS upgrades. No need to even open it up.