HybridZ

2005 Subaru STI LSD

Guest TeamNissan

Whats also nice about that is that you now can get new cv axles that arent "rebuilt" and arent 20 some years old.

Thats what I was thinking too, I previously had an open r200 3.90, and had to get rebuild axles for that.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Ok if i get this right to put the STI diff in a 280Z I need the Betamotorsports adapter and a R180 mustache bar from a 240z then im set ?

Correct! Although I haven't heard of anybody needing to change the mustache bar. The R180's are both the same on the outside and it justs bolts in.

See this link on how it's been done. You may want to skip to the end to see the finished results.

http://forums.hybrid...662#entry908662

• 1 month later...

I had a question, and this might be mindless nonsense that I would like to have happen, even though it's impossible.

Anyway, I get that the main problem with the Subaru R180 is adapting it to fit our companion flanges and wheel ends because of the odd outside CV that Subaru's come with. Well, as to run this setup custom axles have to be made anyway, would it be possible to attach an inner Q45 CV joint to the outside end of the axle and then use the methods we've been using for years to attach those to our companion flanges?

It seems like if the spline count is different it wouldn't matter because you'd just have whatever shop make the ends have different spline counts when cutting them. However is the width of the axle going to put the stops on this crazy idea, anyone have any idea?

I had a question, and this might be mindless nonsense that I would like to have happen, even though it's impossible.

Anyway, I get that the main problem with the Subaru R180 is adapting it to fit our companion flanges and wheel ends because of the odd outside CV that Subaru's come with. Well, as to run this setup custom axles have to be made anyway, would it be possible to attach an inner Q45 CV joint to the outside end of the axle and then use the methods we've been using for years to attach those to our companion flanges?

It seems like if the spline count is different it wouldn't matter because you'd just have whatever shop make the ends have different spline counts when cutting them. However is the width of the axle going to put the stops on this crazy idea, anyone have any idea?

You're entering uncharted territory. Good luck.

Well, if anyone knows what the width of a stock Infiniti Q45 and Subaru STI, or even regular WRX axle is, I think that would answer my question.

If they are the same, or even similar, imagine how awesome that would be!

The WRX axle won't fit the STi differential. You need an STi axle.

Read these two threads where we did fit the STi LSD into the 240z.

http://forums.hybrid...u-wrx-sti-r180/

http://forums.hybrid...__1#entry745031

Thanks for the links, but I couldn't really find any dimensions on the axle widths.

To me it really seems like as long as you have a decently gradual neck down to the smaller diameter end, it shouldn't put too much of a stress concentration on the axle vs. just narrowing it straight into the bar on a lathe.

I mean, if anyone has an STI or Q45, or is just running either of those cars diffs, if you could get under your cars with a pair of calipers it would help me out a lot.

Thanks for the links, but I couldn't really find any dimensions on the axle widths.

To me it really seems like as long as you have a decently gradual neck down to the smaller diameter end, it shouldn't put too much of a stress concentration on the axle vs. just narrowing it straight into the bar on a lathe.

I mean, if anyone has an STI or Q45, or is just running either of those cars diffs, if you could get under your cars with a pair of calipers it would help me out a lot.

You need a special machine to make the splines, that's not a machine most machine shops will have. The last step in making the splined axle is to harden it. Once it's hardened, your done and you won't be able to turn it again. You will need to have new axles made with the appropriate splines. I'm pretty sure the CV Joints are removable from a splined axle shaft. If you can find a CV that mates up to the stub axle of the Datsun, then you could have a new axle shaft made and use the Subaru CV that fits the output side of the LSD.

John took the route of making a new output shaft and using the stock 240Z axles. Less work and for the purpose of club racing with "stock" rules, the car is still stock. There is a shop that makes CV axles to bolt into the 240Z and will fit Johns output shaft.

Why don't you buy the used Q45 part and see if it even fits like you want it to. I bought a few different parts thinking they might mate up to find they didn't. I didn't spend a lot learning what did not fit. The WRX axle does not fit the STi LSD. I know cause I bought one.

• 3 months later...

ive also been meaning to make this same setup all i need to kno is what year did he use for the 280z axles? the same 27spline with the cv joint?

By "he", I assume you mean the OP.

I do not know what "he" did, but I do know what I did. I bought a set of new output shafts from John Coffey. See this thread for all the details.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/78123-subaru-wrx-sti-r180-side-axles/

By "he", I assume you mean the OP.

I do not know what "he" did, but I do know what I did. I bought a set of new output shafts from John Coffey. See this thread for all the details.

http://forums.hybrid...180-side-axles/

I looked into john coffey's stub axles but i prefer to go with using the custom shaft with the 280z cv joints and stub axle hub. Knowing the year would help i think it would be 75-78? By he i meant Nizzan. If i were to spend that much on stub axles i might as well go with wolf creeks porsche cv upgrade:blink: